Another day, another Cardinals legal issue (front office)

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by gmabel830, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I understand and respect your position on this. Even though I am a frequent drinker, I would probably support a zero tolerance policy, as it just makes more logical sense than saying "you can only drink so much and it's your personal responsibility to just kinda eyeball it and hope you're right." Or maybe if every vehicle had an interlock... or something.

But what I will say is that those "simulated drinking" things are not very accurate. They'll strap on those goggles and say "this is what it's like to have two beers," and then you realize as a man between 170-200 lbs that the effect of drinking two beers practically has zero effect on you.

Again, that's not an excuse for anyone, but there's such a wild difference in the size of people, their tolerance, the % content of "one beer" and other factors that mean there's not really a 100% empirical level of impairment, which can lead to a lot of issues.

In the situation where I'm a frequent drinker, consuming the same amount of alcohol vs. someone who did not ever consume, would have a wildly different effect.

jf-08 likes this.
  2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

Beyond the fact that blurry vision is the least of the problems when hammered.

Jersey Girl, gimpy and jf-08 like this.
  3. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

That's why I listed other types of impairment too. Being sleep deprived, ill, or on heavy medication can be just as bad because of loss of focus, reaction time reduction, poor vision, etc.

Part of being a responsible person is knowing when you won't be able to operate a vehicle safely (regardless of the reason) and making plans for someone else to drive or to stop and rest.

This is far from rocket science.

4. BigRedRage

I've never had a DUI so you can spare me the lectures. I was simply commenting to Solar that while he was playing along with the goggles thing, that does not show what impairment is like. If anything, driving tired is usually even worse than driving drunk unless you are REALLY drunk. Some of the scariest situations I have put myself in are trying to get home while SUPER tired.

5. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

My only point to BIM was just that while he's tried these things at these events, it's not really a good indicator of what it's like to partake in alcohol and drive.

I don't support drinking and driving by any means, but getting to a .08 for most people takes no effort and has very little effect. That's why so many people end up in this DUI situation. They don't feel inebriated, and it's not this wildly crazy "you're hammered" feeling that sometimes it's sensationalized as.

That's kinda why I'm saying zero tolerance, or put an interlock in all new vehicles - there's simply not a very good way for most people to know where they are besides "how they feel." The tools aren't given to people to be safe besides not drinking at all - which is difficult in a lot of environments.

Ouchie-Z-Clown, gimpy and BigRedRage like this.
  6. gimpy

gimpy Registered

My initial response was not intended for making excuses for anyone. The intent of my post (here we go:)) was to the people on here who think that it is so easy for people to arrange for a ride or make other arrangements so that they don't drive or do something stupid.
    Drink enough alcohol and you lose a lot of your inhibitions, so things that you might d, you ordinarily wouldn't do or say, make a fool of yourself, argue, fight.

As Solar said above. For most people, a . 08 is almost nothing when most people are out drinking. Depending on your sex, weight, food consumption, etc., for most people 3 to 5 drinks (beer, whiskey, wine, whatever) will get you close to that (.08).

By state law, you can be found guilty of dui if you have less than a point 08 blood alcohol level. (just an FYI).

Just because you say they have the money to arrange it or plan for a ride, it necessarily mean they can or will or actually do it if they have planned it.

Well, go CARDS. :cards:

7. BigRedRage

if I ever get a DUI, blame me, not my drunken decision making. I know when I need an uber and when I dont. Especially if the DUI is an extreme DUI.

8. gimpy

gimpy Registered

:rolleyes:

9. BigRedRage

Sorry. I believe in personal responsibility and accountability. if I get a DUI, it's my fault. period. ESPECIALLY an extreme DUI. a .08 DUI means I wasn't even drunk. An extreme DUI means I am shitfaced and shouldn't have been driving and there is no excuse that would ever hold up, work or matter.

I am in no way joining the "he is human garbage" choir but I also have zero interest in making excuses for him.

10. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Ditto that!

On a side note, the first IPA I had after having my daughter and not drinking for 11 months nearly knocked me on my arse. Just one. Now? Keep 'em coming, lol. Not really, but I'm just agreeing to the idea that alcohol affects people in different ways. Does that mean you should be driving a car? No, IMHO.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

If he killed someone would your tune change? The danger he created is exactly the same in both scenarios. It is pure luck that he didn’t.

12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

You would’ve thought he learned his lesson. He wasn’t 10 years old.

13. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

No, it wouldn't.

There is a wide difference between intentionally trying to kill someone and an ill-advised and wreckless decision that eventually had an ultimate price. Sorry, it's how I feel.

14. blindseyed

blindseyed I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita

So if someone you love is stabbed and killed you be pissed but if that same person killed them while driving drunk you wouldn't be that mad because "I'm not a fan of destroying anyone's life for first time offenses like this"..?

15. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I'd be mad but I would understand they are two fundamentally different things.

Same as I wouldn't be as mad at someone for speeding and causing a death as I would be as someone shooting someone and causing a death.

This is getting far away from the point of this thread, though.