An Asterisk Championship?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's almost like fans of other teams suddenly have a lot more time on their hands for hot takes like this.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Look at the bright side.. the haters already crowned us.. thats why its already coming out.. but we as fans have to stay true and know the job is not finish.. lets not get ahead of ourselves.. 4 more wins!!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This has been around forever in sports. How some teams got "lucky" during their Championships for any number of reasons. Luck is part of EVERY Championship run. There isn't a Championship run that was not lucky in some way or another. Sometimes it's just that no one got hurt while other teams have injuries. This is very common!!

OP
OP
Cheesewater

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
It's almost like fans of other teams suddenly have a lot more time on their hands for hot takes like this.
I'm the OP so I hope you're not referring to me here, since I've been a Suns fan since 1973. It was Max Kellerman on ESPN Radio, et al.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mac Kellerman is an awful hack. After we eliminated the Clippers, he screamed at Steven A that the Clippers proved they were better than the Suns.

Yes that’s right he said those exact words.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This has been around forever in sports. How some teams got "lucky" during their Championships for any number of reasons. Luck is part of EVERY Championship run. There isn't a Championship run that was not lucky in some way or another. Sometimes it's just that no one got hurt while other teams have injuries. This is very common!!
I would be curious to see the stats on how many championship teams had key players missing for significant stretched of the post-season. Seems to me like most championship teams remained pretty healthy through the playoffs.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Mac Kellerman is an awful hack. After we eliminated the Clippers, he screamed at Steven A that the Clippers proved they were better than the Suns.

Yes that’s right he said those exact words.
Odd thing to say for the team that just lost. If he's talking about the Clippers being so banged up and still making it a series than I would just point out that the Suns had some injuries as well and it's not like the Clippers took us 7 games.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be curious to see the stats on how many championship teams had key players missing for significant stretched of the post-season. Seems to me like most championship teams remained pretty healthy through the playoffs.
Yeah sometimes the luck is that you didn't get injured. Sometimes you get to play a team at less than full strength and sometimes it's that some other team failed to advance because of their injuries. It isn't always your own team.

Look at the Clippers, some of them are whining about losing to us because they didn't have Kawhi. They're willing to play the Kawhi card but not one of them is acknowledging that a healthy Lebron and AD would have kicked their butts anyway.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah sometimes the luck is that you didn't get injured. Sometimes you get to play a team at less than full strength and sometimes it's that some other team failed to advance because of their injuries. It isn't always your own team.

Look at the Clippers, some of them are whining about losing to us because they didn't have Kawhi. They're willing to play the Kawhi card but not one of them is acknowledging that a healthy Lebron and AD would have kicked their butts anyway.

not to mention, there kind of is no "Kawhi being healthy" card to reliably play at this point. He misses 20 games a year due to injury or rest and in 3 of the last 5 playoffs, he's either missed them entirely or gotten injured and missed the rest of them. That's who Kawhi is at this point. A great, injury prone player. That's the Kawhi they have. Live by the injuries, die by the injuries.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's just such a hypocritical conversation.

Leonard and Davis are both famously unreliable, and these guys think we were super lucky to have beaten their teams; yet if Chris Paul had missed more time with covid or missed time with his shoulder and we'd been elminated these same people would be saying "What did they expect? It's Chris Paul."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Leonard and Davis are both famously unreliable, and these guys think we were super lucky to have beaten their teams; yet if Chris Paul had missed more time with covid or missed time with his shoulder and we'd been elminated these same people would be saying "What did they expect? It's Chris Paul."

big bingo.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I want an asterisk for Joe Johnson and Amare...and I want another for Amare#2 ...Boris ...Nash and Donaghy.
I want one for 93 cause Ceballos was injured and for Danny Manning the next year.
Since they handing out asterisk

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Parker, who believes one of the Suns’ biggest breaks of the postseason came in the first round, says taking down an Anthony Davis-less Los Angeles Lakers team opened the door for a smooth run to the Western Conference Finals, and beyond.

“I know they were the number one team in the West but let’s just be honest. They had the easiest path,” Parker said via Fox Sports’ The Odd Couple. “It was a mashed unit that they went through. Anthony Davis, remember? They were down in that series, Chris. Everybody thought the Lakers were going back to the championship. Anthony Davis gets hurt — the Suns win that series. We knew that, eventually, Denver was going to have to pay the piper without having Jamal Murray, they had a nice run. But, you can’t keep that up without losing a player of his caliber.

“And, then nobody thought the Clippers were going to be able to beat Utah after Kawhi Leonard got hurt in Game 4. They win that series and, of course, the Suns are able to go through the Western Conference without playing against their best players.”

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Loser: Lame NBA arguments​

"This doesn't count, everybody got hurt!" "Who wants to watch these small market teams?" "There's not enough star power in the Finals!" We are not here for these terrible arguments heading into the NBA Finals. The basketball has been great, the existing stars have been phenomenal and new stars have emerged. The Bucks and Suns have fully earned their spots, so let's not waste any more breath talking about how they're not worthy because you think they had it "easier" than your team did. Thanks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's just a stupid argument by Parker and ignores the facts. Yes the Suns were down 2-1 but IIRC we were up 8 in that 4th game and clearly looked like the better team when AD went down. Winning that game put us back in the drivers seat with the HCA advantage. And we had a better record than Denver BEFORE they lost Murray not to mention that team closed out the season 16-7 without him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Giannis will play or at least try to so MIL will not be an easy opponent. Paul will have to pretty much have a a great series in order for PHX to win it all. If he struggles then it puts even more pressure on Booker who seems to struggle when asked to carry the load trying to do too much. He can take over a game or two here and there but if Ayton or Paul struggle then MIL's chances really increase. I know we can't expect Paul to have his Game 6 success over an entire series but he will have to come close if PHX wants to bring home the trophy. I would expect him to at least try and play like a 2005 - 2015 Chris Paul to try and set the tone early in the series to make sure this is the year he gets his ring.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

big bingo
That's just a stupid argument by Parker and ignores the facts. Yes the Suns were down 2-1 but IIRC we were up 8 in that 4th game and clearly looked like the better team when AD went down. Winning that game put us back in the drivers seat with the HCA advantage. And we had a better record than Denver BEFORE they lost Murray not to mention that team closed out the season 16-7 without him.

It also ignores that we were playing with a 25% CP3 in games 2 and 3 which were the only games the Lakers won.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Giannis will play or at least try to so MIL will not be an easy opponent. Paul will have to pretty much have a a great series in order for PHX to win it all. If he struggles then it puts even more pressure on Booker who seems to struggle when asked to carry the load trying to do too much. He can take over a game or two here and there but if Ayton or Paul struggle then MIL's chances really increase. I know we can't expect Paul to have his Game 6 success over an entire series but he will have to come close if PHX wants to bring home the trophy. I would expect him to at least try and play like a 2005 - 2015 Chris Paul to try and set the tone early in the series to make sure this is the year he gets his ring.

What's the difference between 2005-15 Chris Paul and who he is today?

Other than losing his quickness on the defensive end, I don't think he's regressed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess we should just lose on purpose cause everyone else is injured.