Alvin Gentry 2012-13 (?)

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Amidst all the exciting FA news and rumors swirling around here,whats going on with Gentry's contract? IIRC he's at the end of a deal that was picked up with an option last year....(?)

I respect what Gentry has accomplished here since the groceries and the front office common sense have run out since '08....but if this is truly the end of the Nash era then whats going on with our HC situation?

Gentry has done a decent job here...but he's not the answer IMO. I suppose the Suns could keep him on at the current bargain price and extend him another 2 years. Is Gentry really a "teacher" though? Is he a guy who can be leaned on to coach up a young roster? Or is he simply a Sarver puppet that has put up with the questionable mgmt over the last few years?

I think i'd prefer to start fresh at HC. If not this season then definately next season.

Thoughts?

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'm curious why you think he isn't the answer. In my opinion, he's brought more defensive focus, got the most out of the guys he has and has shown some ability to develop players (Dragic).

I really like him as a HC and not quite ready to kick him to the curb quite yet.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious why you think he isn't the answer. In my opinion, he's brought more defensive focus, got the most out of the guys he has and has shown some ability to develop players (Dragic).

I really like him as a HC and not quite ready to kick him to the curb quite yet.

I'm not ready to kick him to the curb either. Like i said he's done an admirable job here and maybe keeping him on for a year or two would be a wise decision if there's to be a transition in talent.

Is he without a contract next season? If he is....why? :confused:

If he's a part of the Suns future plans then how confident are you that Gentry can lead a team of youngsters into a team of pro's?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's done a great job with everything, all the changes, managing minutes, lineups, winning with the crappy squad he's been givin the past couple of years. We've seen Morris get playing time, we seen Dudley get his chance as a starter as well as brown. He's a players coach and truely does try to find a balance between offense and defense.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I'm not ready to kick him to the curb either. Like i said he's done an admirable job here and maybe keeping him on for a year or two would be a wise decision if there's to be a transition in talent.

Is he without a contract next season? If he is....why? :confused:

If he's a part of the Suns future plans then how confident are you that Gentry can lead a team of youngsters into a team of pro's?

Lon Babby has said on the radio that they are content with letting Gentry coach out the last year of his contract and then re-assessing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Gentry was the right guy for the job post Porter but he is no title caliber coach IMO. I am OK with no extension and seeing how things play out.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Gentry a lot, dont wanna lose him, but the organization is clearly setting him up to be the fall guy. When we are 15-26 at the half way point look for him to get canned... and then us to go 8-33 the rest of the way.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like Gentry a lot, dont wanna lose him, but the organization is clearly setting him up to be the fall guy. When we are 15-26 at the half way point look for him to get canned... and then us to go 8-33 the rest of the way.
Lame duck coach. Gentry deserves better.
Then again,maybe that's the Suns part of the plan to suck and play ping pong.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Scott Brooks was in the same situation with OKC last year. He just signed a 4 year, 16+ mil contract. It's not necessarily the end of the line for Gentry. He's coached young teams before like the Clippers a number of years ago.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Gentry was the right guy for the job post Porter but he is no title caliber coach IMO. I am OK with no extension and seeing how things play out.

The Suns are not a title caliber organization, nor will they be any time soon if things unfold this offseason the way they seem to want it to.

Gentry may not have coached multiple championship teams, but he's done a nice job with what he's had to work with and I'd bet anything he is far better than anyone they bring in if he's replaced.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Suns are not a title caliber organization, nor will they be any time soon if things unfold this offseason the way they seem to want it to.

Gentry may not have coached multiple championship teams, but he's done a nice job with what he's had to work with and I'd bet anything he is far better than anyone they bring in if he's replaced.

Stan Van Gundy is taking a year off. I wonder if the Suns are willing to spend on a HC with a resume' that includes plenty of playoff experience.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wonder if the Suns are willing to spend on a HC with a resume'

When have the Suns ever done that, aside from when they interrupted Cotton's retirement?

The Suns will either get some washout or get the next guy in line already on the staff.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When have the Suns ever done that, aside from when they interrupted Cotton's retirement?

The Suns will either get some washout or get the next guy in line already on the staff.

Maybe its Dan Majerle's turn....good PR....just sayin. I wouldn't be in favor of that though. If the roster gets completely turned over(that isn't clear yet) it should be in the hands of an experienced HC who hire's an experienced staff to teach IMO.

Unlike the NFL its more difficult to gauge assistant HC's in the NBA. Is Majerle a good coach? I honestly don't know.

I'd have to think that Gentry will be back,since FA is still in full swing and he doesn't have a contract....NICE.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gentry has been lost since our last coach left, if Nash leaves he will look really bad because that's what's been saving him the last 2-3 years. I've seen him get out coached so many times it turns my stomach, stupid ass things like starting Lopez over Pole Town, stupid player/clock management, I hope Gentry gets bounced like a basketball.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentry has been lost since our last coach left, if Nash leaves he will look really bad because that's what's been saving him the last 2-3 years. I've seen him get out coached so many times it turns my stomach, stupid ass things like starting Lopez over Pole Town, stupid player/clock management, I hope Gentry gets bounced like a basketball.

It's funny how a lack of player talent can make a coach look that way.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Care to site any specific examples of being out coached? The Suns have always had pretty big turnover each year he's been the coach, yet he continues to develop rotations that improve throughout the year.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Care to site any specific examples of being out coached? The Suns have always had pretty big turnover each year he's been the coach, yet he continues to develop rotations that improve throughout the year.
Gentry should get a tee shirt that says "I'm Pop's beeatch" for starters, speaking of starters, Gentry's line ups are my main complaint. Talent is one thing and stupidity is another.Look at any game against good coaches and Gentry is always one sub behind the other coach, he reacts while other coaches play chess IMO. Since I can remember sooo many games, I would like to point out the only real game the Suns won this year because of old coat-tails Alvin Gentry. The game where he went hack-a-Blake was cool, not just because of the foul aproach, but because he kept the cats in that were having a good game (in that actual game) and we rode some momentom to a V.

He loves to take out the hot hands, guys having great games that don't need rest. His defense is a friggin joke, run and gun is now toast, Alvin is too, just a matter of time. Starting Fropez over the Machine says it all, we wasn't handicapped with shady talent, we played the crappy teams the same way we played the top notch clubs, team playing tough, losing at the end because of horrible play calls with only ticks left on the clock.

This is just my opinion, I'll be glad to see him go, I'm a die hard Suns fan.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Gentry should get a tee shirt that says "I'm Pop's beeatch" for starters, .

Think you meant to reference D'Antoni here.

Last time Gentry met Pops in the playoffs, he swept him out of the building.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Think you meant to reference D'Antoni here.

Last time Gentry met Pops in the playoffs, he swept him out of the building.
I hate me some friggin Spurs, but that year was truely a year when Pop's didn't have much to put on the table with injuries and crap. I would take Dantony>Gentry all day and night bruddah. Marjele will probably get the nod knowing this team and I'm cool with that.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
He deserves a extension

He took a tumoiled team to the western conference finals.

I think is a great coach.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gentry should get a tee shirt that says "I'm Pop's beeatch" for starters, speaking of starters, Gentry's line ups are my main complaint. Talent is one thing and stupidity is another.Look at any game against good coaches and Gentry is always one sub behind the other coach, he reacts while other coaches play chess IMO. Since I can remember sooo many games, I would like to point out the only real game the Suns won this year because of old coat-tails Alvin Gentry. The game where he went hack-a-Blake was cool, not just because of the foul aproach, but because he kept the cats in that were having a good game (in that actual game) and we rode some momentom to a V.

He loves to take out the hot hands, guys having great games that don't need rest. His defense is a friggin joke, run and gun is now toast, Alvin is too, just a matter of time. Starting Fropez over the Machine says it all, we wasn't handicapped with shady talent, we played the crappy teams the same way we played the top notch clubs, team playing tough, losing at the end because of horrible play calls with only ticks left on the clock.

This is just my opinion, I'll be glad to see him go, I'm a die hard Suns fan.

So the closest thing to an example of being out coached is Pop who the Suns swept with major contributions from role players who were put in position to succeed?

Lopez may have started initially after the Gortat trade but Gentry gives the minutes to the players that are producing whether they start or not. A lot of coaches stick to their rotations regardless of how players are playing, I like the fact Gentry doesn't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard