All Time NFL Scoring Record in Jeopardy

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
I believe Paul Hornung's record with the Green Bay Packers of 176 points set in 1960 may belong to Ladanian Tomlinson this year. Only question is whether he can do it in 14 games as the Packer great was able to do!

Funny the broadcasters never seem to mention this record when showing the all-time TD comparisons.

4 more will put L.T. at 30 tds or 180 points - so now you know!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Paul Hornung's record with the Green Bay Packers of 176 points set in 1960 may belong to Ladanian Tomlinson this year. Only question is whether he can do it in 14 games as the Packer great was able to do!

Funny the broadcasters never seem to mention this record when showing the all-time TD comparisons.

4 more will put L.T. at 30 tds or 180 points - so now you know!

As I recall, Hornung also was the place kicker, no?

Reaction score
Hornung’s 176 Points

Hall of Fame halfback Paul Hornung scored an incredible 176 points during the 1960 National Football League Season. Although the mark has been challenged a few times in the past decade, it still holds up 45 years later. Making the amount of points even more impressive is that he achieved the total during a 12-game schedule.

You must be registered for see images attach
“In all these years, when I look back on the record,” he commented, “the one thing I’m always proud of is that my record was in 12 games and it hasn’t been broken even in the 16-game season.”​

Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes came the closest to breaking the record when he totaled 162 points during the 2003 NFL season. Others who came within range include Marshall Faulk (160 points in 2000) and Emmitt Smith (150 points in 1995).​

Hornung’s ability to score in multiple fashions helped him achieve the record total that season. Aside from running the ball, Hornung was an excellent receiver out of the backfield and also handled the Packers kicking duties. In 1960, he averaged 14.7 points per game as he accounted for 53 percent of Green Bay’s scoring. If a player in today’s game were to surpass that point-per-game average, he would have to score more than 236 points in a season.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Funny, I thought you were talking about the all-time record.

Morten Andersen needs 7 points to get the all-time scoring record.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Hall of Fame halfback Paul Hornung scored an incredible 176 points during the 1960 National Football League Season. Although the mark has been challenged a few times in the past decade, it still holds up 45 years later. Making the amount of points even more impressive is that he achieved the total during a 12-game schedule.
[/B][/INDENT]

Gee wiz! Thanks for reminding me how long I've been watching the NFL. Twelve games, imagine that!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine LT as the place kicker. He probably would have 236 points.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Imagine LT as the place kicker. He probably would have 236 points.

Our poor man's version of Hornung was Bobby Joe Conrad. In 1959 he had 74 rushes for 328 yards and 2TD's caught 14 passes for 142 yards and 3TD's, kicked 6 FG's and made 31 extra points.

As the original "Roy Green" Conrad started as a DB in 1958 when he had 4 Interceptions and also returned kickoffs.

Finally moved to WR he had his best year in 1963 with 73 catches for 967 yards and 10TD's playing along side Sonny Randle.

He was my favorite player when I was a kid despite his being an Aggie. Still have his 1959 football card.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh McCown is such a great athlete, he could break this record if given a chance.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard