All New Jersey ASFN'ers please check in!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Mods, move this to where ever you want, but please sticky this for a week or so.

If you all don't know, or haven't heard storms ripped through the Mid-Atlantic from St. Louis, Ohio. to Washington D.C.

South Jersey was destroyed. People have never seen anything like it. It is like tornado damage but with a larger range of impact.

Places are going to be without power for at least a week. Houses are crushed under the thousands of huge trees that have fallen all over the place.

No hurricane, or tornado can hold a torch to what ever the heck this storm was. The fact there is no coverage of the storm is appalling [EDIT: I take that back, MSN.com has good coverage], because the devastation is so great. Again, I have never seen anything like the destruction I saw over this weekend.

I REALLY lucked out. A few near misses with the trees. Some lost shingles, and no power. But all living things are safe, house is still standing, got a generator going, and the cars are not damaged.

Just hope all our NJ ASFN'ers, and anyone else effected are OK.

EDIT: Hats off to all the power company, and public works. They are doing an absolutely amazing job. A++++

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're OK.

Thanks, Rugrat.

We live near the shore north of where the NJ storm hit, and were spared any damage. (Reports are that the severity was similar and equal to what happened in DEL, MD and VA (Mods - There should be a separate thread to determine if all those blokes are OK).

Ironically - within hours of the storm hitting south Jersey, my town was placed under a boil-water advisory due to the rupture of three water-main pipes near a nearby reservoir. (As it turned out, the boil-water advisory was a false-alarm for the 20% of us who live in the northern part of town and get our water from a different water company. Everyone else in town had to drink bottled water, "boil their own", empty their coffee makers and throw out all their ice cubes.).

Lessons learned - (1) Props to all the emergency workers and volunteers. (2) There is a whole assortment of procedural thingies that need to be done better/quicker if we are to effectively cope with a stiffer future public health challenge.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do employers in NJ (and east coast in general) take into account the cost of living when deciding wages? I heard parts of Jersey are like 120% more expensive than living in AZ. A 50k job out here would equate to like 23k there.

PaulW

Veteran
Reaction score
I live in northwest NJ in Lake Mohawk and were not affected. We have already set up a fund through our church to send to those affected in South Jersey. My company is also sending funds to the Red Cross to help those affected.

I have several distributors in the Vineland/Millville area and was not able to contact them today, will try tomorrow.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Derechos are nasty. I remember being in the Labor Day derecho of '98 in Schnectady NY. It was the most intense storm I have ever been in and really scary. I hope you all are ok.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do employers in NJ (and east coast in general) take into account the cost of living when deciding wages? I heard parts of Jersey are like 120% more expensive than living in AZ. A 50k job out here would equate to like 23k there.

Yes. You generally get higher pay in the northeast because of the higher taxes.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

That is correct.

There is a saying in NJ that once you leave it, you can never come back. Mainly because you will never be able to sell a house at a price outside of NJ that would allow you to buy a house of comparable size/quality in NJ without having to pay a lot more money then what you sold the out-of-state house for.

It is ridiculously expensive to live NJ. It is easier when you live here all your live, and you can maintain a balance within the state's system.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you guys made it through okay. I have a few friends that still have no power. One friend lost both her and her husband's car due to a tree falling across the hoods of both of them. Sucks.

One of the ladies from my hometown church is related to those two little boys who were killed in Parvin State Park. Very sad story there. :(