OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Here is another reason USC is trying to make KK stay:

5-star 2019 WR Kyle Ford commits to USC
You must be registered for see images

Five-star 2019 WR Kyle Ford verbally committed to USC during Saturday's U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Ford (6'3/195) is looking to add his name to the list of elite wide receivers that the USC program has produced, and he'll be doing so for a new offensive coordinator in Kliff Kingsbury. The top-ranked receiver out of California was also considering Colorado, Michigan, Oregon and Washington, with the Ducks and Huskies being major threats to the Trojans in his recruitment down the stretch. USC also has commitments from talented receivers Puka Nacua, Munir McClain and Drake London.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
"At last month's NFL owners meetings in Dallas, league officials informed team executives that they now had to request permission from college athletic directors to interview college coaches. Not doing so would be considered "conduct detrimental" and the NFL then could dock draft picks from teams, sources said."

Give up the #1 pick. He is worth more.

Give up the top pick so they can sign Kingsbury?

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Im intrigued by KK. Pair him with Mike Martz along with Kurt Warner as QB coach we could be the next "Greatest show on turf" :lmao:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The thing about Kingsbury, and I want this to register in your head, we would be hiring him to be our head coach. Buckybird has alluded to this but during his time at Texas Tech, he totally sucked at time management. The guy is possibly one of those new innovative OCs which a guy like Rosen could really latch onto... but a head coach? He may not and we cannot as a organization after a one and done take such a guy, and therefore a guy like Campbell would be a far better choice in my humble opinion because he seems more stable and still gives you the flash of the new in the NFL

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The thing about Kingsbury, and I want this to register in your head, we would be hiring him to be our head coach. Buckybird has alluded to this but during his time at Texas Tech, he totally sucked at time management. The guy is possibly one of those new innovative OCs which a guy like Rosen could really latch onto... but a head coach? He may not and we cannot as a organization after a one and done take such a guy, and therefore a guy like Campbell would be a far better choice in my humble opinion because he seems more stable and still gives you the flash of the new in the NFL

I understand your position and that was my immediate thought when K9 first brought it up. Couldn't succeed as HC at Texas Tech...why would he be successful in the NFL?

I changed my mind because
  • He is the mastermind of an ELITE offense
  • He coached the best seasons out of Case Keenum, Manziel, Davis Webb, Baker Mayfield, and Mahomes (unparalleled)
  • If we hire him as OC, he will be gone in a year
  • Take advantage of his brilliance and surround him with support (leaders/experienced NFL people). McVay has a coach that is just responsible for clock management!
  • This seems like the closest thing to McVay and they talk/get along. I think McVay would help him adjust to NFL as crazy as that sounds
  • KK will develop Rosen or easily replace him with a QB that can run his system
  • Our offense is a blank slate and we can mold it to Air Raid this year
  • The defense can be a strength again with a solid DC, some FA signings, and a scheme change

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
The problematic aspect of running a pure Air Raid system is you cannot control the clock and the game will quickly become a shootout.

This is one of the main reasons the Run and Shoot died out in the early 90s.

I think there are some great concepts that you could adopt from the run and shoot, but you have to run the ball consistently and effectively to control the clock and set up play action.

My .02 FWIW.

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The problematic aspect of running a pure Air Raid system is you cannot control the clock and the game will quickly become a shootout.

This is one of the main reasons the Run and Shoot died out in the early 90s.

I think there are some great concepts that you could adopt from the run and shoot, but you have to run the ball consistently and effectively to control the clock and set up play action.

My .02 FWIW.

Agree with you but that is the NFL...you have to modify/adjust/ to stay ahead.

Deandre Washington did have 1,450 yards rushing with KK and Mahomes at Tech in 2015, so it can happen.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I understand your position and that was my immediate thought when K9 first brought it up. Couldn't succeed as HC at Texas Tech...why would he be successful in the NFL?

I changed my mind because
  • He is the mastermind of an ELITE offense
  • He coached the best seasons out of Case Keenum, Manziel, Davis Webb, Baker Mayfield, and Mahomes (unparalleled)
  • If we hire him as OC, he will be gone in a year
  • Take advantage of his brilliance and surround him with support (leaders/experienced NFL people). McVay has a coach that is just responsible for clock management!
  • This seems like the closest thing to McVay and they talk/get along. I think McVay would help him adjust to NFL as crazy as that sounds
  • KK will develop Rosen or easily replace him with a QB that can run his system
  • Our offense is a blank slate and we can mold it to Air Raid this year
  • The defense can be a strength again with a solid DC, some FA signings, and a scheme change

Mayfield and Webb had better seasons without Kingsbury. Neither Manziel/Webb have done anything in the NFL so I’m not sure the point of bringing them up. That is not to say they wouldn’t have taken the next step without his fingerprints on their development. Regardless KK still had one of the worst winning percentages in Tech history and that was with NFL talent at quarterback. So the idea that it’s impossible not to have better success there than KK had, because of recruiting disadvantages, is a myth. Kansas St owned Tech despite KSU having one higher ranked recruiting class during Kingsbury’s tenure.

However that doesn’t mean KK wouldn’t be the best coach for Josh Rosen. If they gel like McVay/Goff or Nagy/Trubisky and pair him with a legit DC you could see how that would be attractive to Bidwill and fans.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Doesn't that mean lateral moves?

In the NFL, can't you deny an OC under contract from interviewing for another OC job, but not HC?

So I don't see how it would be the same thing as the NFL rules if you are offering a college OC a HC job.
No, see Kitchens and Browns.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Here is another reason USC is trying to make KK stay:

5-star 2019 WR Kyle Ford commits to USC

Five-star 2019 WR Kyle Ford verbally committed to USC during Saturday's U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Ford (6'3/195) is looking to add his name to the list of elite wide receivers that the USC program has produced, and he'll be doing so for a new offensive coordinator in Kliff Kingsbury. The top-ranked receiver out of California was also considering Colorado, Michigan, Oregon and Washington, with the Ducks and Huskies being major threats to the Trojans in his recruitment down the stretch. USC also has commitments from talented receivers Puka Nacua, Munir McClain and Drake London.

Another one today...hmmm

Five-star ATH McCoy commits to Trojans

USC received a verbal commitment from 2019 five-star ATH Bru McCoy.

McCoy makes the announcement at the U.S. Army All-American Game on Saturday in the fourth quarter. He also was considering Washington, Texas, and a few other schools, but it was always widely believed that the 6-foot-3, 215-pound athlete was going to be headed to Los Angeles. He's rated the top athlete in this class who could make an impact on the defensive side of the ball as well, but his most likely position is wide receiver. With that size and speed, he could play on the outside immediately and give J.T. Daniels another strong target. The Trojans also got five-star wideout Kyle Ford on Saturday.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K K needs a new agent. USC needs a new A D. Clay Helton is dead man walking. Helton cannot keep his job if USC succeeds or fails. They will not win because of him and he should be fired , finally, if they do not win, KK gets the job. I don't know if KK was insecure and signed with USC too quickly, if the agent forgot to emphasize to KK that NFL rule would prohibit him from jumping/interviewing, or convinced KK that there was no NFL interest. Bad agent. So what if this is Lincoln Riley? Matt Cambell? etc?

Will this NFL agreement prohibit any NCAA coach from jumping to the NFL? Why was this such a secret? I don't believe this is over.

PS Lynn Swann needs a pair. No other Pac 12/SEC/Big10 AD would have saved Clay Helton. Instead he gave him an extension and a raise. Swann has no business being an AD. No experience and no clue. The NFL rule bailed him out.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
K K needs a new agent. USC needs a new A D. Clay Helton is dead man walking. Helton cannot keep his job if USC succeeds or fails. They will not win because of him and he should be fired , finally, if they do not win. I don't know if KK was insecure and signed with USC too quickly, if the agent forgot to emphasize to KK that NFL rule would prohibit him from jumping/interviewing, or convinced KK that there was no NFL interest. Bad agent. So what if this is Lincoln Riley? Matt Cambell? etc?

Will this NFL agreement prohibit any NCAA coach from jumping to the NFL? Why was this such a secret? I don't believe this is over.

PS Lynn Swann needs a pair. No other Pac 12/SEC/Big10 AD would have saved Clay Helton. Instead he gave him an extension and a raise. Swann has no business being an AD. No experience and no clue. The NFL rule bailed him out.

PFT just had an article saying that the USC AD was the first to ever block a coach from interviewing with the NFL.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Lynn Swann is running a clown show at USC. Fire all coaches except Clay and is no blocking Kliff from potential NFL HC jobs? Bad look. USC needs to not be so insular and hire people outside of the Trojan family to run its athletic department.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PFT just had an article saying that the USC AD was the first to ever block a coach from interviewing with the NFL.
Wow. Imagine how this will affect any coach hire ( assistants ) if K K gets job knowing that if they want to go NFL, Swann/USC will block them. K K is just one assistant. They will need his guys to coach positions.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wow. Imagine how this will affect any coach hire ( assistants ) if K K gets job knowing that if they want to go NFL, Swann/USC will block them. K K is just one assistant. They will need his guys to coach positions.

Yep, this makes them look really bad. Not sure how the university can spin it if he does walk away.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, this makes them look really bad. Not sure how the university can spin it if he does walk away.

My understanding is the entire athletic dept is on notice as it is...I think Helton is a lame duck and Swann might be tied to Helton's upcoming season...So at this point maybe having an heir apparent waiting in the wings who was not hired by a potentially new AD isn't such a huge concern for SC.

But this situation is a typical SC clown show...and yet, the recruits still sign...boggles my mind, I get a degree from SC has a lot of networking worth (especially in LA) but to deal with that unexplainable mediocrity year in and year out blows my mind!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think USC wants a draft pick for him. :D

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
I can see USC’s need for him as an OC, but I don’t understand the love for a sub .500 college coach that has never coached in the NFL...defies logic

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You guys would be laughing your ass off & saying the opposite if the Seahags, Niners, Lambs or Cowpies we’re denied a KK interview.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys would be laughing your ass off & saying the opposite if the Seahags, Niners, Lambs or Cowpies we’re denied a KK interview.

Well, duh!!

:D