AFC/NFC Divisional Round Weekend. 2020

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Lamar Jackson is the best player to come out in many years according to many.

I think he had a good year, but his success isnt likely to be sustainable. How will be play when he doesnt have a top 3 offensive line?
Dude, Lamar was the 5th quarterback taken. Not many were saying that. He has put in work, and has an unprecedented feel for the open field. He and his team really took the league by storm, and it's hard to say he's not one of the best players in the NFL right now. Even with a diminished OL at some point in time, he's just so natural as a runner.

Now, I think Kyler will have more longevity if everything goes right, because he isn't running as a primary function of the offense. But Lamar is amazing to watch, and will be back in the playoffs next year, most likely. With another year in that offense? Man oh man.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Lamar has/had many advantages over Kyler. More experience in college, played for an NFL coach at Louisville, drafted by a steady franchise and wasn’t forced to start, far more gifted physically for the NFL game.

Had rookie Lamar player for the Cards this year the passing #’s would be similar (maybe worse) but he would’ve rushed for 1k+ and the offense would be better. We’d maybe be a .500 team at best.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I love watching Lamar. But all those hits he takes will eventually take a toll and slow him down. It might not happen for a few years. But watching his tiny legs twist and turn through traffic, he is bound to pick up an injury and playing on a gimpy leg for a player like him doesn't bode well. Cam Newton looked borderline unstoppable in his best seasons. Great powerful runner, strong arm, great scheme. Injuries took away his scrambling ability and took a toll on his once powerful arm. We'll see if he comes back, but odds are we've seen the best of him already. Our own Kyler strikes me as a Russell Wilson type scrambler. Always smart and protecting the football. The only difference is that Wilson had much more experience and polish entering the NFL, and immediately stepped into a team with an elite defense.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

·
1h

Chiefs became 1st team in NFL history to trail by 24+ points in first half and still lead at halftime. Their 24-point comeback win ties the 4th-largest deficit overcome in postseason history. The Chiefs now look to reach the Super Bowl for the first time since winning it in 1969.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Murray runs way too scared. I get that he doesnt want to be a running QB, but he needs to realize he is more athletic than 95% of the NFL. Just run and get down when he has to.

Just asking. Do you think he was told (with this offensive line) to not take a hit/fall down? Tom Brady does that...IIRC so did Peyton Manning.

There really isn't another explanation for it. He didn't do that in college.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

·
1h

Chiefs became 1st team in NFL history to trail by 24+ points in first half and still lead at halftime. Their 24-point comeback win ties the 4th-largest deficit overcome in postseason history. The Chiefs now look to reach the Super Bowl for the first time since winning it in 1969.

This is the guy who comes up with these useless stats

You must be registered for see images attach

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just asking. Do you think he was told (with this offensive line) to not take a hit/fall down? Tom Brady does that...IIRC so did Peyton Manning.

There really isn't another explanation for it. He didn't do that in college.
Yes he did..

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I keep coming back to the Giannis comparison. Its like back in 2014 everyone would have taken rookie year Andrew Wiggins over Giannis. Giannis was raw and couldn't shoot. However, he was literally a freak athlete who had the determination to get better. I actually sense work ethic from Kyler and the will to be great. However, if an elite of the elite athlete actually puts it together he can be tough to stop. Time will tell with Lamar, but he's on pace.
Lamar has/had many advantages over Kyler. More experience in college, played for an NFL coach at Louisville, drafted by a steady franchise and wasn’t forced to start, far more gifted physically for the NFL game.

Had rookie Lamar player for the Cards this year the passing #’s would be similar (maybe worse) but he would’ve rushed for 1k+ and the offense would be better. We’d maybe be a .500 team at best.
Agree with everything except the 1K part. One Kliff still didn't adjust till about 5 games into the season. And also our run blocking wasn't as good as the Ravens.

I see about 800 to 900 yards.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those keeping count of this weeks playoff results

Traditional pocket QBs 3 wins 1 loss

Hybrid QBs 1 win 3 losses

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

where do you put Mahomes and Rogers?

they arent runners like Jackson, but also not 100% pocket guys

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Silly comparing KM & LJ, they are 2 different QB's altogether. There has never been a QB in the NFL with the wiggle & the ability to make people miss as LJ. In that regard, he's just incredible. As a passer, LJ has a slower, longer release, and almost always a sidearm flip. Exactly why he generally doesn't throw a tight spiral & can be inaccurate high/low & side to side. Like Murray, he works his butt off & is super competitive. Exactly why he'll continue to improve. But, I'm not sure that his delivery will change much. His long delivery is ingrained in him & his long frame also plays into that. For that reason, I don't think he'll ever be a great passer, but still dangerous. But, with his entire package of skills, he can still be very successful barring injuries.

KM is better compared to Wilson. Wilson had far more college experience, but Murray had more development at a younger age right through HS. Wilson is super smart on the field, but I believe that KM is also. KM is faster afoot, has a stronger arm, and a quicker release. But, not by enough to lessen what Wilson is. Both are extremely accurate. As a seasoned veteran, Wilson makes fewer mistakes. But, Wilson as a rookie had FAR better talent around him & made more mistakes than KM did. The beauty of Wilson is how clutch he is & his ability to stay relatively injury free. We'll have to wait and see how Murray is in those areas. Unfortunately for KM, he plays for a crappy organization & Wilson plays for an organization enamored with winning. The Seahawks helped Wilson become great. In reverse, KM will need to make the Cardinals great. That's a huge difference

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mahomes & Rodgers are more hybrid than traditional.

Especially Mahomes.

I agree, especially with Mahomes. His passing aside, it was his runs out of the pocket that broke Houston down. Also, Rodgers ran for a critical first down on their last drive which helped seal the deal. I'll always want a QB to be a passer first, runner second. And that's exactly what Mahomes, Wilson, Watson (slightly lesser degree), and Murray are. I love listening to Phil Simms when he hyperventilates talking about how good these "hybrid" QB's are.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are designed / planned runs vs, play breakdown runs. Call me crazy.

Post game Mahomes was startled when told he led his team in rushing in that game.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go back and forth on this.

The thing that shocked me (and part of that is Kyler's weight gain, but another part is Lamar is use to playing with lesser players for years. I mean two of Kyler's Olineman in HS were day 2 draft picks) is how Lamar is way more slippery than Kyler.

I mean we are talking about a guy who played bad and still put up 500 yards of offense. Also I think the difference with Cam is that he was never humble. Lamar is selfless. He'll take it personal that he again couldn't deliver in the playoffs.

For all we know he's Giannis from 3 years ago...if that shot (throw) slowly improves...

However, Kyler is the more natural thrower. It wouldn't shock me if he shocked the world next year. I think he has the potential to be an elite talent, but will he ever have an elite game? .He's got the arm, touch, speed, etc. However, he's gotta have a much feel for the pocket and start closing some of these games. It was startling to see how much Watson and Mahomes and even Lamar could make scramble throws look routine. Don't even need to mention Wilson. They seem to know when to step up, slide, etc.

Lamar also has a much more stable organization/coaching staff. They work to cover his flaws. To be determined in Arizona.
You have to remember the other 3 qb’s mentioned have been around now for a couple of years. The game will continue to slow down for Kyler and the intricacies of sliding and moving in and out of the pocket will improve with experience.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Yes he did..

Its not that I don't believe you but I don't remember seeing that and don't believe it was talked about/an issue during the draft process.

Do you have a link/example of it?

Here are notes from draft profile.

You must be registered for see images attach

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Ok lets add further context

Traditional pocket passers in the Vikings/49ers games
both threw for under 180 yards

Traditional pocket passer in the Titans game
passed for under 100 yards passing. The running back rushing for 195 yards (throwing a TD as well) that won that game

Rodgers is an all time great QB

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson