Addicted to the pass allergic to the run

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
This could be replaced by dozens of card site rehashes with Whiz and BA - should have freaking run more - you think! I’m so sick of not fundamentally sound play callers - after the freaking fact ad nauseam. Yea yea yea I’m a ruddy dud and whatever - but even in the air red offense this is stupid. If I could ask KK to watch 2 games the 10 carry Super Bowl loss and the 10 Carry 2009 playoff loss - it’s stupid football and on the HC completely. Want to increase the plays per game - balance it more.

From same ole story same old song and dance

It was striking, however, for the Cardinals to get so close to the end zone so many times and not rely on Johnson, especially after a similar situation played out Week 1 against the Lions. (On one of the drives close, Johnson was on the sideline with his wrist problem.)

Kingsbury said there was a system in place to decide whether to go for it on fourth down Sunday and that he never considered going for it, including on the initial trip to the Baltimore 4 on fourth-and-1 in the first quarter and the Cardinals trailing, 7-0. When the Cardinals were close, “we had chances to hit some things in the pass game,” Kingsbury said, only to have them not materialize.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/cardinals-try-to-find-some-balance-with-david-johnson-red-zone

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
when it works everyone loves ya
when it doesn't - you're a bum

They're still learning the system

They better get it finalized this game...there is no more 'learning'

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This offense must be torture for THESMEL.

Gone are the days of 1980/1990s football.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Last edited:

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe during preseason when Murray said he was tired of running the same 6 plays he didn't mean they hadn't opened the playbook yet, maybe he was talking about the playbook. :p

In all seriousness though KK needs to mix it up more. The 10 and 0 personnel on nearly every play is not going to create balance. I would rather see some more 11 and 12 out there and establish a run threat and also pass out of it. You have to keep the D guessing and be off balance and not think your supreme pass play routes will carry the team to the playoffs.

I'm sure we will get more balance eventually.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Maybe during preseason when Murray said he was tired of running the same 6 plays he didn't mean they hadn't opened the playbook yet, maybe he was talking about the playbook. :p

In all seriousness though KK needs to mix it up more. The 10 and 0 personnel on nearly every play is not going to create balance. I would rather see some more 11 and 12 out there and establish a run threat and also pass out of it. You have to keep the D guessing and be off balance and not think your supreme pass play routes will carry the team to the playoffs.

I'm sure we will get more balance eventually.

I think his current offense is working great for moving the ball and simply install a more traditional offense for the red zone when you no longer have the space which the Air Raid concepts thrive on :)

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree that when it works it works well. I just don't think we have to be 4 or 5 wide nearly every play to be able to move the ball through the air and mixing up the sets can be effective because it gives a realistic chance to gain some yardage on the ground without giving up the pass. If you go with a 11 or 12 group so you have your 2 or 3 best receivers out there that gives KM more protection and less reads and still allows deception on a pass play by sneaking the RB or TE out for a reception and possibly gives Murray more opportunities to exploit with his legs.

It seems like KK believes if the wrs run the routes right and KM is accurate that the D cannot stop them. The problem is there is a counter for every situation and being predictable gives the D an edge and more opportunity to harass KM without paying the price. Yes, once in a while a busted coverage will get a big play when you are overloading the secondary all the time, and there are stats to back up shooting for the moon on a regular basis can work, but it is all situational.

He knows better than I, but I look at the teams who are contenders and they are not one dimensional like we have been. I think KK has some great concepts for the pass game but hasn't mastered the chess game and making it situational.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
That's a really fresh take there THESMEL.

Did you Read the article I posted from the cards site? The only fresh take is well we ran 7 times rather than 10 times. Then blame it on the oline and DJ? Just saying that is stupid if not ill.

I realize we are going to throw like our hair is on fire and do respect that we stayed in both games for the most part, with a rookie qb. But would like to win. The NFCW teams defenses, would love us to run 7 times a game - they are frothing at the mouth, KM has started with 300 plus yards passing games. But remain the worse rushing team in football.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Same bitching, different year, Same Smelly lol

This is the Air Raid, not the Run Raid :lol: so get used to it. Maybe it’s time to find another team

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of our best runs this year have been negated by holding penalties....which put us in a passing situation.

Both games we fell behind. Our offensive philosophy is designed to score and play with a lead.

Kliff said they will do what they have to do to move the ball. Could be Kliff and his staff believed the smart thing to do against the Ravens was to throw the ball.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of our best runs this year have been negated by holding penalties....which put us in a passing situation.

Both games we fell behind. Our offensive philosophy is designed to score and play with a lead.

Kliff said they will do what they have to do to move the ball. Could be Kliff and his staff believed the smart thing to do against the Ravens was to throw the ball.

Agree with all points. Maybe DJ has lost a step. You could easily stay DJ has had a bad year, but he isn't had much of a chance to succeed either. Maybe they don't trust the line to block/not hold for runs. Throw in the fact that Kyler isn't running as much as most of us expected means that there is one less thing the defense has to worry about. We saw Lamar run on us time and time again, and frankly I was expecting a bit of that from Kyler as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA