ACL concern for Kyler Murray, just asking

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Just thought of this last night and have not been able to ask my brother who is physician as of yet who has dealt with orthopedics, but what are the chances of Kyler's other knee giving out. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a tendency that if one knee goes out due to a noncontact tear, the other knee will have a similar tendency. I may be totally off but asking... I think Cheese and Ouchie's family are in the medical field as others who might have a general idea, thanx

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought of this last night and have not been able to ask my brother who is physician as of yet who has dealt with orthopedics, but what are the chances of Kyler's other knee giving out. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a tendency that if one knee goes out due to a noncontact tear, the other knee will have a similar tendency. I may be totally off but asking... I think Cheese and Ouchie's family are in the medical field as others who might have a general idea, thanx
I'm no doctor, but I did spend time at a Holiday Inn express.

There wouldn't be a way to know about his other knee unless it was previously injured or it is scanned/scoped.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
FWIW...I have a Doberman (duh, see picture) who as a young dog tore her ACL....we did not go through with the surgery required but over time and with a lot of treatment holistically she got much much better...not perfect. Here is what we heard from some top dog surgeons...VERY possible to have a similar problem with her other knee and the cure will not bring her back to 100%...it was non-contact tear too!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
From what I can recall of other athletes...Sometimes there is a genetic concern, if a ligament in one part of the body fails, that another could too. I think what's more common, though, that the reason a left knee may fail, after having surgery on the right side, is more to do with rehab. An athlete spends so much time on the injured side that it makes the non-injured side vulnerable. Today, though, I think most doctors pay attention to that and make sure the athlete is giving time to both sides during rehab.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the thing, it's impossible to know, but his running styles can lead to much more torque on his ligaments. This one was a non-contact injury, which means it was eventually going to happen. Today's players are bigger, faster, and stronger, and our bodies are built for it.

So the chance is probably higher than average of it happening to his other knee.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I do know he bulked up a lot and I feel now with the knee issue he might want to drop his weight down some to put less stress on the knees.

But my knees are fine so I’m still bulking :)

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
FWIW...I have a Doberman (duh, see picture) who as a young dog tore her ACL....we did not go through with the surgery required but over time and with a lot of treatment holistically she got much much better...not perfect. Here is what we heard from some top dog surgeons...VERY possible to have a similar problem with her other knee and the cure will not bring her back to 100%...it was non-contact tear too!
i assume this is because of over compensation to the other knee/appendage while the original is healing?

Great dog btw!

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some on this board questioned me saying "he may not be the same using his legs" now in another thread. They went on to say I was stuck in the 80's thinking that way & that he'll come back 100% the same. Funny thing is when another fan used RG3 was never the same, those fans had no response lol.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Some on this board questioned me saying "he may not be the same using his legs" now in another thread. They went on to say I was stuck in the 80's thinking that way & that he'll come back 100% the same. Funny thing is when another fan used RG3 was never the same, those fans had no response lol.
There are huge differences with RG3 and Kyler...two completely different situations. He "may not" be the same, but he should be the same, if that makes sense. He could even be better. Look at pitchers who get Tommy John...many of them, today, have a better and more stable elbow after surgery than they did when they were naturally healthy (this wasn't always the case, though). Rehab today is totally different than even 5-10 years ago...and Murray didn't suffer, that I can recall, any other ligament damage aside from the ACL.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are huge differences with RG3 and Kyler...two completely different situations. He "may not" be the same, but he should be the same, if that makes sense. He could even be better. Look at pitchers who get Tommy John...many of them, today, have a better and more stable elbow after surgery than they did when they were naturally healthy (this wasn't always the case, though). Rehab today is totally different than even 5-10 years ago...and Murray didn't suffer, that I can recall, any other ligament damage aside from the ACL.
I hope he comes back just as good if not better than before but there is no guarantees with any ligament replacement.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Actually, the biggest concern is going to be his hamstring, as sports injuries that include an ACL tear put undue pressure on the hamstring to compensate for lack of strength in other areas. Given that Kyler has pretty thick hammies, I think we're likely to see a pull/strain if he comes back too soon.

This isn't just me postulating, either. It's a real medical thing. One of the most recent examples is Chris Godwin this past season.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i assume this is because of over compensation to the other knee/appendage while the original is healing?

Great dog btw!
Thanks for the compliment....Dobies are unbelievable dogs...we have never locked the house doors..and yes you're correct.
If she does not know you, stand by!!! Fun to get stopped by a local officer with her in the back seat....usually a short visit.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
RG3’s injury was significantly worse. ACL AND LCL.

“A strong LCL is crucial for a running quarterback such as RG3, as it prevents the knee from buckling outward when an athlete plants his foot to change directions.”

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
RG3’s injury was significantly worse. ACL AND LCL.

“A strong LCL is crucial for a running quarterback such as RG3, as it prevents the knee from buckling outward when an athlete plants his foot to change directions.”
I hope people have it right that he will be back 100% but remember the bad luck of the team we root for. It's just hard to imagine taking into consideration where an ACL is within a knee, tearing & then ever being 100% again. It actually looks like a cable of tendon running across the middle of the knee.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment....Dobies are unbelievable dogs...we have never locked the house doors..and yes you're correct.
If she does not know you, stand by!!! Fun to get stopped by a local officer with her in the back seat....usually a short visit.
Raised Dobies and got ours from the Air Force base since they went to a full switch to Shepards since Dobies like to attach themselves to one person and do not care for switching handlers. Very smart dogs and there is a big misconception that they are aggressive but rather defensive (with a touch of paranoia :D) which is a big difference... hence, they are not the kind of dog like a Chow which will run past their territory at you, but you are in deep crap if you step on their territory lol

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Raised Dobies and got ours from the Air Force base since they went to a full switch to Shepards since Dobies like to attach themselves to one person and do not care for switching handlers. Very smart dogs and there is a big misconception that they are aggressive but rather defensive (with a touch of paranoia :D) which is a big difference... hence, they are not the kind of dog like a Chow which will run past their territory at you, but you are in deep crap if you step on their territory lol
Amen squared! I am sure you know that when the breed was developed, Greyhounds are a good part of the heritage, ergo sight hunters. They can spot things I can never
see. They are like velcro....must be close to my legs all the time...when she tore her ACL it was at the dog park andd I didn't see it happen, not that it would have made
a difference...she was almost as fast as a Vishla..not any more but still loves to run

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big concern with ACL's is always coming back too soon and tearing something else.

agree with others Kyler is pretty thick which might mean they should wait longer before he comes back so we don't have to worry about something else.

Used to be the kneecap fracture, remember Jerry Rice, but I think they've changed how they do the surgery now to avoid that.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My Boo is a Cattahoula Cur Bloodhound mix and she is like that.
On our property she is mean as hell, if it dont live here she has to kill it. She has fought a couple southern coyotes, a mountain lion, dozens of coons, opossums, a badger.
But once I put a leash on her and take her somewhere else she is just the sweetest girl.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jumping in for the Doberman discussion. They are sooo fiercely loyal. My dad trained GS in the AF in Germany so I've been around dogs forever. Our Doberman was one of the best animals ever, and so defensive. He was glued to me and my dad. I was terrified of him as a 6 year old when we got him but we clicked fast and he was my 3rd parent. Nobody got near me without him approving lol.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jumping in for the Doberman discussion. They are sooo fiercely loyal. My dad trained GS in the AF in Germany so I've been around dogs forever. Our Doberman was one of the best animals ever, and so defensive. He was glued to me and my dad. I was terrified of him as a 6 year old when we got him but we clicked fast and he was my 3rd parent. Nobody got near me without him approving lol.
My uncle had two pure bred Dobermans approx 3-4 years old at this juncture and they were both great dogs and friendly loyal etc….Uncle is a huge dog guy no bad treatment or being misraised. One day we’re in the back yard I was probably 16-17 were all playing and hanging out and one of them out of nowhere proceeded to bite the face off the 6 year old neighbor kid who was over. Coulda died and needed extensive plastic surgery. Damn shame scarred for life. Haven’t trusted them since honestly. But feel bad for the kid scarred badly for life. My uncle had to put the one down and ever since has had rottweilllers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson