Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Wrinkle in Time

Release date: March 9, 2018
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
Director: Ava DuVernay
MPAA Rating: PG (for thematic elements and some peril)
Screenwriter: Jennifer Lee
Genre: Animation, Family

Starring: Oprah Winfrey, Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, Storm Reid, Gugu Mbatha Raw, Chris Pine, Zach Galifianakis, Andre Holland, Levi Miller, Deric McCabe, Bellamy Young, Rowan Blanchard, Will McCormack, Michael Pena

Plot Summary: From visionary director Ava DuVernay comes Disney’s “A Wrinkle in Time,” an epic adventure based on Madeleine L’Engle’s timeless classic which takes audiences across dimensions of time and space, examining the nature of darkness versus light and, ultimately, the triumph of love. Through one girl’s transformative journey led by three celestial guides, we discover that strength comes from embracing one’s individuality and that the best way to triumph over fear is to travel by one’s own light.

Meg Murry is a typical middle school student struggling with issues of self-worth who just wants to fit in. The daughter of two world-renowned physicists, she is intelligent and uniquely gifted, as is Meg’s younger brother, Charles Wallace, but she has yet to realize it for herself. Complicating matters is the mysterious disappearance of Mr. Murry, which has left Meg devastated and her mother broken-hearted. Charles Wallace introduces Meg and her fellow classmate Calvin to three celestial beings (Mrs. Which, Mrs. Whatsit and Mrs. Who) who have journeyed to Earth to help search for their father, and together they embark on their formidable quest. Travelling via a wrinkling of time and space known as tessering, they are transported to worlds beyond their imagination where they must confront a powerful evil force. To make it back home to Earth, Meg must face the darkness within herself in order to harness the strength necessary to defeat the darkness rapidly enveloping the Universe.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Interested in seeing how they developed this one. The book had some (by today's standard) archaic language.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually want to see this. Been to 2 movies recently where they played the trailer for this and the "making of" short before hand and it looks interesting. I don't think I ever read the book.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We enjoyed it. C'mon, team. It's a movie based upon a children's story, it's a Disney movie, and Oprah is in it, for gawd's sakes. You were expecting Gone with the Wind?

It was fun, great colors and special effects, and jerked a few tears. At least a 3.5 out of 5 movie....

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kids both read the book recently for school. So we went to see this over the weekend. I have never read the book.

As for the movie I thought it was terrible. My kids thought it was OK but was way different from the book and no where as good. I used it as a teaching moment that the book is always better than the movie.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kids both read the book recently for school. So we went to see this over the weekend. I have never read the book.

As for the movie I thought it was terrible. My kids thought it was OK but was way different from the book and no where as good. I used it as a teaching moment that the book is always better than the movie.

Both my wife and I read the book when we were kids and remember it fondly. When we saw the previews for this we both were like "What the?" Not the book either of us read. Looks like an Oprah vehicle rather than an adaptation of a beloved children's book.

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
Did not read the book and do not read really fiction. But I would wait for this on video. As really the kids acting saved it. Too much CGI!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Ha ha, sound just like my wife. She took the kids. My wife and oldest daughter thought it was horrible, and my 2 boys thought it was ok.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave