A successful season?

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
That late into the season and with a record of 10-4 everyone, including myself, seems to be disappointed with the team's performance in the last weeks. So what would it take for you to still call this season a success?

I thought about it quite a bit and was asking myself if I would rather see them win the remaining 3 regular season games and lose in the first playoff round or finish 10-7 and win a playoff game. I came to the conclusion that I don't really value the 3 remaining games, if we lose out and win at least one playoff game and don't get killed in the next one I would still call the season a success.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I think we must win at least 1 of the next 3 for all reasons. 11-6 is about where most would have considered good when the season began. Winning a playoff game on top of that would be enough to say we are progressing and leave us with excitement for the draft and next season, hoping we don't have as many injuries to derail us.

If we lose all 3, and our playoff game, I think we have to look at replacing KK under the guise of fans expecting more with this much talent. The window is small in the NFL, if KK can't do it quickly we need to get someone in here who can. We may only have a couple of years left to make this happen. We can't squander it on a young inexperienced coach who holds his team back. With this talent and young QB, there are several experienced winners who I would think would love to have a chance with this team.

Last edited:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
It’s a success now, with ghosts of 2008 past, I remember those blow out losses Reinserting edge in the last game, after he was benched! He gave us enough balance to force defenses to play us honest, as fitz kept most the glory, he deserved it - but would not happened without edges efforts. IMO same with beanie in 09 - we had a 3 score lead with a balanced attack when Favre and Warner went off - next game 10 rb carries in blow out loss, same in the super bowl. Damn it you got to run enough to keep defenses honest or the worse team in the NFL will destroy you.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its still a success if we end up winning 11-12 games. But remember we just lost to the Lions. People are pissed. A very common theme on any football fansite is people are going to want to fire the coach and bench the QB after every bad loss. I'm having fun watching this season but I still have my doubts about how we are going to perform in the playoffs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ultimately it'll be a successful season if they make the playoffs. The goal here is to give the young guys on the roster (especially Kyler) a taste of the playoffs so they understand what it takes to get there and a hunger to get back.

Now, if they back into the playoffs and get bounced by 20 by the Bucs or something, is that still good? I dunno. Even if the Cards make the playoffs I don't know if Kyler get the message about preparation, etc.

But, objectively, making the playoffs meets the measure for success that the Cards placed in front of themselves at the beginning of the year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ultimately it'll be a successful season if they make the playoffs. The goal here is to give the young guys on the roster (especially Kyler) a taste of the playoffs so they understand what it takes to get there and a hunger to get back.

Now, if they back into the playoffs and get bounced by 20 by the Bucs or something, is that still good? I dunno. Even if the Cards make the playoffs I don't know if Kyler get the message about preparation, etc.

But, objectively, making the playoffs meets the measure for success that the Cards placed in front of themselves at the beginning of the year.

yeah... I think if they hold on to the division, make the playoffs and win a game, it's a smashing success.

if they hold on to the division, have a good effort in the playoffs and lose a hard-fought contest, it's a solid success.

if they do the above and get shellacked, that's arguable as far as success. Vance is probably the sacrificial lamb and KK goes into next year a lame duck. That I guess is the very baseline of success.

if they totally blow the division and lose their first playoff game, it's a complete and utter collapse for the third year in a row and they should clean house with the GM and Coach.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That late into the season and with a record of 10-4 everyone, including myself, seems to be disappointed with the team's performance in the last weeks. So what would it take for you to still call this season a success?

I thought about it quite a bit and was asking myself if I would rather see them win the remaining 3 regular season games and lose in the first playoff round or finish 10-7 and win a playoff game. I came to the conclusion that I don't really value the 3 remaining games, if we lose out and win at least one playoff game and don't get killed in the next one I would still call the season a success.
I thought winning 10 games was within our range of opportunities to begin the year, so I wouldn’t consider that a resounding success, just hitting the high end of expectations. So 11 games would be a good year looking at it from the beginning of the year. But the downward trend and one and done in the playoffs would leave a foul taste in my mouth considering at one juncture we were legitimately playing like a contender.

It’s not only okay to reassess your expectations as facts and circumstances change, for successful people it’s a core part of their personality. Otherwise you end up settling for less than the full opportunity placed before you.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think so, especially if they win or are the runner up in their division, which is the best division in the nfc, by a couple of laps, in my opinion.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most on this site would have considered making the playoffs a huge step forward and somewhat of a success. However, with the " all in" narrative that was proclaimed set the tone of deep into the playoffs or bust. Seeing that the over/under for wins was 7.5 ( i think) or 8.5 then we have exceeded expectations.

That being said, if we lose out and go 10-7 but win a playoff game I don't know how anybody could claim this season as a failure.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most on this site would have considered making the playoffs a huge step forward and somewhat of a success. However, with the " all in" narrative that was proclaimed set the tone of deep into the playoffs or bust. Seeing that the over/under for wins was 7.5 ( i think) or 8.5 then we have exceeded expectations.

That being said, if we lose out and go 10-7 but win a playoff game I don't know how anybody could claim this season as a failure.
10-7 and Playoff win means we pulled a rabbit out if a hat in the playoffs with a major upset.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Just two weeks ago they were the #1 seed in all the NFL… now they’re fighting for their post-season lives.
Man that’s hard to characterize as a successful season… Unless they win their playoff game (if they get it), it’s debatable. To go 7 & 0 to start the season, and then 3 & 4 over the next seven games… maybe back into a wild card… I dunno…

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Not if they lose out. There's no way you could call a season with that kind of collapse "successful".

Everything on this team is broken right now save maybe Special Teams, RB1, RB2, WR3 and TE1. It's completely unacceptable.

Last edited:

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I said at beginning of the year they need to at least win one or two playoff game to be anywhere close to a successful season.
They should have gotten into the playoffs last year. Any competent coach or team would have won one of those last two games to get in.
The bar should have been much higher this year

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
yeah... I think if they hold on to the division, make the playoffs and win a game, it's a smashing success.

if they hold on to the division, have a good effort in the playoffs and lose a hard-fought contest, it's a solid success.

if they do the above and get shellacked, that's arguable as far as success. Vance is probably the sacrificial lamb and KK goes into next year a lame duck. That I guess is the very baseline of success.

if they totally blow the division and lose their first playoff game, it's a complete and utter collapse for the third year in a row and they should clean house with the GM and Coach.

Seriously. If the Cards back into the playoffs and get bounced early it’s not a success. After last year nobody should think what we do in September and October defines a season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously. If the Cards back into the playoffs and get bounced early it’s not a success. After last year nobody should think what we do in September and October defines a season.

Yup. It’s an epic disaster if they lose their last six games of the season including a playoff game.

That’s an all-time collapse.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Like you said meeting the goal of making the playoffs is a successful season but that was the goal to start the season. Expectations were raised at the point we were like 8-0. Now if they finish the season 1-4 is it really a successful season? I dunno but I know my expectations have been tempered in the last 2 weeks. Successful first half of the season but a god awful way to end it. Let's hope the Lions game fired them up & they figure out a way to get back on track.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

They will never get rid of Kiem and why would you want that? This roster when healthy is top 3 in the league. JJ watt was a monster. DHop. Losing Edmonds is so underrated. He is shifty athletic back who can catch the ball and make plays. Kyler running is a beast but I think he is a little gun shy. Because heck they will make the playoffs more than likely even if they lose all 3. But I see us beating Indy and everyone will be back to fairy land people.

cardjunkie

Veteran
Reaction score
I’m looking at how we perform the last 7 to 8 games of the season before I consider something a success or not. If we if we go 10 - 0 for 5 seasons then go 0 - 7 the last 7 games, we are above 500 but none of that matters if we can’t win when it counts. That’s similar to Kliff‘s career so far. Hopefully we can break the trend.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if they lose out. There's no way you could call a season with that kind of collapse "successful".
Everything on this team is broken right now save maybe Special Teams, RB1, RB2, WR3 and TE1. It's completely unacceptable.
But why? How can a group of guys play so well and suddenly be so inept?

This is Kingsbury’s major test. There are ebb and flows to a season. Peaks and valleys. McVay went through it. The Rams looked great at the start of the season then looked terrible over a 4 week stretch and now they seemed to have righted the ship. How does a team look great then look terrible?
Look at our next opponents. The Colts looked dead in the water after 5 weeks. Now they are looked at as one of the hottest teams in the league. Why? Of course injuries and opponents play a role in all this. However, good staffs make adjustments. They evolve. They change.

Here’s what I think. Kingsbury needs to become more diversified. We need to keep the Colts and their running game on the sidelines. Start the game with Kyler under center. Huddle up. Take the time clock down to 5 seconds. Use our speed with short crossing patterns and not Wr screens. After a nice gain that’s the time to go no huddle. don’t change personnel. get to the line quickly and go. Keep their personnel on the field. They get to change personnel because we change personnel and the refs give them time to do so. Exploit their weakest link.

Unfortunately this won’t happen and that’s why kingsbury teams fade. Every opponent knows we are going no huddle and we will be in shot gun 85% of the time. Soft rush the middle and rush wide on the outside. Run the ball against us because we won’t over commit to stopping the run.

This is why teams come out of funks. They change. Not overhaul. THey execute their strengths and throw out what’s not working.

We have a pretty good team. We can’t look as good as we have and suddenly be a terrible team.

Insanity is…..

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I just don’t understand how we could look like a Super Bowl contender for over half the year and now look like a 1-11 team.

But why? How can a group of guys play so well and suddenly be so inept?

This is Kingsbury’s major test. There are ebb and flows to a season. Peaks and valleys. McVay went through it. The Rams looked great at the start of the season then looked terrible over a 4 week stretch and now they seemed to have righted the ship. How does a team look great then look terrible?
Look at our next opponents. The Colts looked dead in the water after 5 weeks. Now they are looked at as one of the hottest teams in the league. Why? Of course injuries and opponents play a role in all this. However, good staffs make adjustments. They evolve. They change.

Here’s what I think. Kingsbury needs to become more diversified. We need to keep the Colts and their running game on the sidelines. Start the game with Kyler under center. Huddle up. Take the time clock down to 5 seconds. Use our speed with short crossing patterns and not Wr screens. After a nice gain that’s the time to go no huddle. don’t change personnel. get to the line quickly and go. Keep their personnel on the field. They get to change personnel because we change personnel and the refs give them time to do so. Exploit their weakest link.

Unfortunately this won’t happen and that’s why kingsbury teams fade. Every opponent knows we are going no huddle and we will be in shot gun 85% of the time. Soft rush the middle and rush wide on the outside. Run the ball against us because we won’t over commit to stopping the run.

This is why teams come out of funks. They change. Not overhaul. THey execute their strengths and throw out what’s not working.

We have a pretty good team. We can’t look as good as we have and suddenly be a terrible team.

Insanity is…..

Thanks. Appreciate the thoughts and observations and I agree especially with the bolded part.

For those who say this is on the players, Murray for example, I get it. I think the players need to play better, the team leaders need to lead better, and it starts with K1.

But neither do I believe the players, for example Murray, suddenly became awful, in a matter of a few weeks.

For those who want to assign the blame for the two game skid to Kyler, okay fine. He bears some responsibility, no doubt.

But I'm looking more at the coaches. Kliff and VJ. Ultimately, it is there job to motivate these guys, and put them into positions to succeed.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I dont consider epic collapses to be successful seasons. When you run a 100m dash, you dont lead for 80m and then let up. This would be the third time Kliffy has done this if that is the outcome.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I dont consider epic collapses to be successful seasons. When you run a 100m dash, you dont lead for 80m and then let up. This would be the third time Kliffy has doned this if that is the outcome.
Does anyone here seriously think Kliff can lead a team deep in the playoffs, or to a super bowl? 3 years of collapse down the stretch isn't a large enough sample size for some?

This team is built to win now, and if they don't win now, there are a ton of questions to be asked. How in the hell are we going to be able to build around Murray once he becomes the highest paid player in football?