A bench clearing brawl?

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
Okay, I need a show of hands. How many of you thought the Mariner-Diamondbacks incident earlier in the week was a "bench clearing brawl"? Well the commisioner's office seems to think so. In

I don't know if anybody else around here was at the Mariners/Diamondbacks game the other day, but I was an that wasn't a bench clearing brawlthis Newsday.com article that was more about the Piazza /Mota affair, baseball spokesman Patrick Courtney had this to say;

"There were only two bench-clearing brawls during the regular season last year, baseball spokesman Patrick Courtney said, adding, "But we've had three just this week."

Expos outfielder Vladimir Guerrero was involved in a brawl with the Marlins, and the Mariners' Jeff Nelson hit the Diamondbacks' Luis Gonzales with a pitch. Baseball disciplinarian Bob Watson is reviewing the incidents."

Now I've seen my share of bench clearing brawls on TV and in person, and what happened in the DBacks/Mariners game couldn't even come close to being classified as a brawl. Oh I know this is just a NY area rag doing it's best to drum up excitement, but you'd think the commisioner's office wouldn't be helping them along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard