76ers vs Suns SL Game Thread 7/12/18

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I would agree with that if I hadn't just seen the same thing in the Pac 12 tourney and the NCAA tourney.

This leopard needs new spots

I watched 30+ games of Ayton in college. From a larger sample size, I don't share your concerns. Plus, in that Pac-12 tournament, he destroyed UCLA and USC.

Not sure what people were expecting in Summer League, but Ayton looked fine. All I wanted was to see him come out healthy. Now's not the time to worry.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched 30+ games of Ayton in college. From a larger sample size, I don't share your concerns. Plus, in that Pac-12 tournament, he destroyed UCLA and USC.

Not sure what people were expecting in Summer League, but Ayton looked fine. All I wanted was to see him come out healthy. Now's not the time to worry.
He hasn't had any injury issues--ever, has he? That, to me, was one of the real attractions about Ayton, he plays with a strength and control that seems to help him avoid injuries. If you watch Embiid play, you see why he is injured. He is constantly throwing his body around and landing hard.

Well. I am a bit disappointed with that game, and not just with Ayton. We are about to enter the "dead zone" part of the nba year. I should take a few weeks off here soon.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I would love to see Dragic back. Not a long-term answer, but it would be fun for a couple of years.

I think Dragic turns them into a fringe playoff team if Ayton can also reach part of his potential.

I'm actually on the "let's give Knight another shot" bandwagon but if Dragic was an option I'd go that route in a heartbeat.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He hasn't had any injury issues--ever, has he? That, to me, was one of the real attractions about Ayton, he plays with a strength and control that seems to help him avoid injuries. If you watch Embiid play, you see why he is injured. He is constantly throwing his body around and landing hard.

Well. I am a bit disappointed with that game, and not just with Ayton. We are about to enter the "dead zone" part of the nba year. I should take a few weeks off here soon.
He didn't miss any time at Arizona because of injury.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is what I see:

Chap: hey guys I got a brand new football!

Someone on the board: nice! Looks nice! I can’t wait to play with it. Looks like it needs air.

Chap: what?!? How could you say that?!? Of course it needs air it’s still in the box! Everyone stop freaking out!

Someone on the board:Er . . . maybe I’ll go play Wii.
Let's talk more about hyperbole, shall we?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I won't speak for Chap, but I THINK he is pointing out that a lot of people had unrealistic expectations. People here were calling him the next David Robinson, the generational talent, and all sorts of hyperbole. I think Chap is pointing out that was unrealistic. There is nothing wrong with Ayton. There is a lot wrong with the expectations that some people here placed on him.

He is playing like a kid his age is supposed to play. Does a lot of dumb stuff, gets frustrated, doesn't understand certain fundamental things. Nothing wrong with that- it's normal for a kid his age.
I don't necessarily think people have unrealistic expectations about Ayton overall--I think they are unrealistic that he will be ANYWHERE NEAR those expectations a week and 4 games into his professional career.

But I'm used to Ouchie coming on here and attacking me on almost every single post I write, so no biggie there. He's an important guy, after all.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What is your point, really? That we need a point guard? Well, of course we do. Not one person has said otherwise, and yet you consistently have pushed this fact like you are the only one that sees it.

I get that you don't trust Brandon Knight. Not sure anyone here actually does. The difference is that some of us are at least curious to see if he can do it. So we're not about to embrace the tank train if we don't trade for a point guard this summer. And as it's been mentioned many, many times already--next year's free agent crop for that position is quite good. MUCH, MUCH better than this year's.
I might’ve missed it but where did Devon say anything about TANKING?!? This is what I don’t understand . . . when someone makes a statement with which some posters don’t agree they argue back and put words in their oppositions mouths that they never mouthed. Again I might’ve missed something Devon said about wanting to tank, but this baffles me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I won't speak for Chap, but I THINK he is pointing out that a lot of people had unrealistic expectations. People here were calling him the next David Robinson, the generational talent, and all sorts of hyperbole. I think Chap is pointing out that was unrealistic. There is nothing wrong with Ayton. There is a lot wrong with the expectations that some people here placed on him.

He is playing like a kid his age is supposed to play. Does a lot of dumb stuff, gets frustrated, doesn't understand certain fundamental things. Nothing wrong with that- it's normal for a kid his age.
So no one is allowed to point that stuff out? That’s the message chap sends when he cries foul every time anyone brings up a criticism of Ayton. My god are people only allowed to sing praises of his good things? It’s calked be analytical. You look at the good and the bad. Some are skeptical. That’s okay. I just don’t see the need to try to beat down anyone who has anything skeptical to say.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I might’ve missed it but where did Devon say anything about TANKING?!? This is what I don’t understand . . . when someone makes a statement with which some posters don’t agree they argue back and put words in their oppositions mouths that they never mouthed. Again I might’ve missed something Devon said about wanting to tank, but this baffles me.
JC Ouchie, I was exaggerating to prove a point. How do you not see that??

I think at this point, it might be better for you to just put me on ignore, because I'm sick of going through this with you every day.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is my take on this. "Comment" -- of course. "Ever be critical" -- how can you criticize a rookie for being on a learning curve in his first four games since having been played out of position in college, now in a Summer League surrounded by unproven players? Especially when he is the #1 pick and double-teamed right from the start. And even thinking of comparing him to a polished veteran David Robinson.

I would hardly call his performance so far shortcomings. As Stefan pointed out, they are right on target with his status.

The unproven players defending him now have an advantage -- all they have to do is smother him. It doesn't take precision to do that. I'm looking forward to enjoying Ayton's progress, especially when he starts scrimmaging and playing with veterans. If a quarter into the season, he hasn't shown progress adjusting to the NBA game, that would be reason to criticize. But now? No way.
Right so everyone shut up, don’t point out anything negative (which you guys are admitting to) and just sing his praises. No one is saying he’s incapable of correcting these things or growing into the skills. Literally no one. So why attack someone who is pointing out observations? Since you’re apparently allowed to set the rules, tell us, after how many games into his rookie season are people allowed to comment on areas of needed improvement/growth? What if he gets hurt, how many do we have to wait? And what things are we allowed to discuss at what junctures? I mean are we allowed to discuss his conditioning midway during the season but his defense not until end of season two? Ridiculous.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anthony Davis averaged 13 points 8 rebounds his rookie year just to give us some perspective

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And people say I am speaking in hyperbole? Really??

Did you watch the game? I think a Kwame Brown comparison is pretty spot on. He was terrible. What was most concerning to me though was his apparent lack of effort. I wouldn't have a problem if he played his heart out and just had a bad game, but he looked like he didn't want to be there. It really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get that he's a rookie but wasn't he suppose to immediately help make us better? Isn't that why we went all in with the Bridges trade and signed Ariza? How much of a project is he? And for those that are saying Anthony Davis only averaged 13 and 8 as a rookie and using it as a comparison, AD also had a PER of 21.7. He immediately helped make his team better.

Last edited:

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Ayton for some reason is a little soft around the rim for a 7ft center. He'll have the occassional jam off a lob when a PG actually passes to him, but he rarely forces his will and slams it over anybody. The Suns needs to hire a David Robinson or Duncan, or better yet, Amare, to coach some nasty into Ayton. I have no confidence in the Suns big man coaching ability and I dont want Ayton turned into another finesse center on this team. IMO!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Expected troll post. Surprise, surprise, you're nice little campaign to get me off this board forever isn't working.

HYPERBOLE!
Whoa Chap, I don’t have a problem with you. I just found his post legitimately funny. He could’ve said that about me (maybe would’ve been true as well) and I would’ve still found it funny. Don’t take it personal at all lol, didn’t mean it as a dig at you.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ayton for some reason is a little soft around the rim for a 7ft center. He'll have the occassional jam off a lob when a PG actually passes to him, but he rarely forces his will and slams it over anybody. The Suns needs to hire a David Robinson or Duncan, or better yet, Amare, to coach some nasty into Ayton. I have no confidence in the Suns big man coaching ability and I dont want Ayton turned into another finesse center on this team. IMO!
How can you say that? Corliss Williamson wasn't exactly meek as a mouse when he played and you don't even know how he will coach--how can you have no confidence yet? You don't even know if Igor will have any impact yet.

I agree he needs to get an "edge" to him, but writing off the current coaching staff seems extremely short-sighted.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
How can you say that? Corliss Williamson wasn't exactly meek as a mouse when he played and you don't even know how he will coach--how can you have no confidence yet? You don't even know if Igor will have any impact yet.

I agree he needs to get an "edge" to him, but writing off the current coaching staff seems extremely short-sighted.

I agree, its extremely premature on my part to criticize this current coaching staff. But the Suns past M.O. says differently. I hope Im wrong.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I get that he's a rookie but wasn't he suppose to immediately help make us better? Isn't that why we went all in with the Bridges trade and signed Ariza? How much of a project is he? And for those that are saying Anthony Davis only averaged 13 and 8 as a rookie and using it as a comparison, AD also had a PER of 21.7. He immediately helped make his team better.
And you can make the conclusion that Ayton won’t help based on one SL game? Mind giving me the winning lottery numbers while you’re at it?

I have no issue with people pointing out things that players do poorly in a game, but trying to draw a major conclusion off of one game is just silly.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He averaged 13 and 8 over 60 games -- Ayton has played 4.

notdeadyet

Reaction score
Abdul-Jabbar had a nice career finessing without knocking people around. Besides, he doesn't need an early reputation among the refs... Learn the pro game first, then increase his assertiveness over time...

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And you can make the conclusion that Ayton won’t help based on one SL game? Mind giving me the winning lottery numbers while you’re at it?

I have no issue with people pointing out things that players do poorly in a game, but trying to draw a major conclusion off of one game is just silly.

I did not draw a conclusion in my post. I asked how much of a project is this guy. Because if he is too much of a project, then he won't be helping us win. There's your conclusion.