6 FIFA members accused of wrongdoing in bidding

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Dr Reinhard Rauball laid bare the tensions within Fifa over the split between the ethics committee judge, Hans-Joachim Eckert, and Garcia, the US attorney who heads the investigatory arm and spent 18 months probing the race for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Garcia has disowned Eckert’s summary of his 430-page report, which effectively cleared Russia and Qatar.

“The result was a breakdown in communication, and it has shaken the foundations of Fifa in a way I’ve never experienced before,” said Rauball.

“As a solution, two things must happen. Not only must the decision of the ethics committee be published, but Mr Garcia’s bill of indictment too, so it becomes clear what the charges were and how they were judged,” he told the German website kicker.de.

“Additionally, the areas that were not evaluated [in the report] and whether that was justified [should be published]. It must be made public. That is the only way Fifa can deal with the complete loss of credibility.”

He said that if the report was not published in full – and Eckert has already said that he will not do that, while Fifa argues it cannot intervene – then Uefa should consider its own position within Fifa. “If this doesn’t happen and the crisis is not resolved in a credible manner, you have to entertain the question of whether you are still in good hands with Fifa,” Rauball added. “One option that would have to bear serious consideration is certainly that Uefa leaves Fifa.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/15/fifa-uefa-world-cup-germany-football

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wow - could UEFA, CONCAF, etc ditch FIFA and just start over from scratch?

I suppose it is possible. UEFA is powerful and FIFA would take a huge hit without those nations...my guess is if it happened it would cause a domino effect and a new organization would be created but who can say for sure.

Obviously FIFA needs to be cleaned up and maybe their hand needs to be forced somehow. I'd like to see USSF Pres Gulati speak out on this too...the US may not be a world power but we bring in a ton of $$ to FIFA.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave