• Ish

• Shamet

• Warren

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with those who believe it's Craig's job to lose. He fits best and he's earned the opportunity to continue in the starting role. I can also seeing it be matchup dependent. Some nights it might be better to go a little smaller with Ross in there or start Okogie for defense. I hope Monty experiments a little but he seems to tighten the rotation this time of the year. For once I'm for management telling him to loosen the reins a little.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Craig is a solid and versatile defender and he's shot very well from 3 this year. Even when his shot isn't going they guy is a hustle machine.

IMO, he's the obvious choice.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I went with okogie, but honestly I am hoping it turns out to be Bazely
Tough to call that with limited knowledge. But if he came through there it would be huge. Bang corner threes and play long defensively.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Remember the looks Ray Allen, Mike Miller and Shane Battier were getting in Miami? There is so much opportunities for 2-3 of these role guys to become dangerous weapons.
-
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
-
-

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
I went with Ross, based on reports about him. Craig is an emergency starter who can do a little of everything but nothing really good enough, just a poorman's Crowder. Ross is supposed to be an athletic and good perimeter defender, his career 3pt % is consistent, seems to be a more steady and experienced version of Okogie we saw lately. He'd take the def. assignment Mikal used to have, to say energy for Book and Paul; and KD is a better help rim protector than Craig. However, if Craig could miraculously improve his 3pt confidence, it'd be a draw with Ross, IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with Ross, based on reports about him. Craig is an emergency starter who can do a little of everything but nothing really good enough, just a poorman's Crowder. Ross is supposed to be an athletic and good perimeter defender, his career 3pt % is consistent, seems to be a more steady and experienced version of Okogie we saw lately. He'd take the def. assignment Mikal used to have, to say energy for Book and Paul; and KD is a better help rim protector than Craig. However, if Craig could miraculously improve his 3pt confidence, it'd be a draw with Ross, IMO.

I think Ross is most likely to start if not Craig. Craig will play inside on defense and allow KD to play more as a SF so I think Craig will start most games against bigger teams so Durant doesn't get banged up. When a team goes smaller against us and doesn't have a real PF like Denver, Memphis, or LA (when healthy), then we'll see Ross at SF and KD at PF.

Regardless of who starts though I think a lineup of Paul, Booker, Ross, KD, and Ayton will be the crunch time lineup unless someone else has a hot hand.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Ross is most likely to start if not Craig. Craig will play inside on defense and allow KD to play more as a SF so I think Craig will start most games against bigger teams so Durant doesn't get banged up. When a team goes smaller against us and doesn't have a real PF like Denver, Memphis, or LA (when healthy), then we'll see Ross at SF and KD at PF.

Regardless of who starts though I think a lineup of Paul, Booker, Ross, KD, and Ayton will be the crunch time lineup unless someone else has a hot hand.
Not sure I play Ross over Craig.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Play whoever is playing best, make them fight for that spot, steel sharpens steel.
One of the above will step up, whoever does gets the spot.
Its not rocket surgery.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His stats say he is pretty bad defensively.

perhaps he will put forth more effort, but his stats say he has never been an above average defender his whole career.

i Know we all hate shamet, but he is a better defender and shoots the same percentage from 3.

even though I have seen very little of Ross, I find those defensive ratings to be quite accurate for the players I am familiar with, so I mostly trust them.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would be kind of rude to steal Ross away from Dallas and never play him. lol

Tho that's kind of what Dallas did with Javale.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

perhaps he will put forth more effort, but his stats say he has never been an above average defender his whole career.

i Know we all hate shamet, but he is a better defender and shoots the same percentage from 3.

Maybe he will play the role Monty wanted Duane Washington Jr. to play as an explosive scorer, however, I wanted another point guard more.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Do you guys think Monte, CP3 or KD could be the Westbrook whisperer. He is/was/is a PG.
He could dance with Cam Payne, no man can dance with Cam Payne and still be a grumpy prick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think Monte, CP3 or KD could be the Westbrook whisperer. He is/was/is a PG.
He could dance with Cam Payne, no man can dance with Cam Payne and still be a grumpy prick.
Guys… I am continually flummoxed here. We all watch a TON of basketball and consume NBA news so how do sone of you forget that KD can’t stand Westbrook?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

even though I have seen very little of Ross, I find those defensive ratings to be quite accurate for the players I am familiar with, so I mostly trust them.

He has better defensive ratings than Shamet in the playoffs. They've played roughly the same number of playoff games as well so I feel that's a fair comparison as Ross has 41 games, starting in 11, to Shamet's 43, starting 10. He has a better defensive rating and defensive win share and defensive box +/- there. Shamet has been better offensively in the playoffs though.

As I've mentioned and most know, he's been playing in Orlando for the last 7 years. A team going nowhere and lucky to compete for the play-in tournament. He's not going all out on defense. He has the capability and has shown he can be an average defender when it matters. I'll take that over Shamet.

I don't dislike Landry as a lot of fans do. He's overpaid, no doubt about that and he's done a respectable job when he fills in for Booker. Where I don't like him though is as a wing off the bench. He's played best here off the bench as a combo guard doing more playmaking than looking for his own offense. We saw that in the New Orleans series and in the Dallas series. I wish he'd play more like that than as what he does usually. I don't know if that's a Monty issue, Landry issue, or both. I suspect it's both though.

Go ahead and continue bashing a guy for defense played on a last place team surrounded by guys on rookie contracts too. He didn't dog it but he didn't go all out either. I've based my comments on what I've seen of him. Granted I haven't seen a lot but I've seen a handful of games and he's not the type who just stands around like a cone.

For anyone interested, heres a comparison of Shamet and Ross' stats, both regular and advanced stats.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think starting okogie in the last game was a test, and I think he passed it.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Okogie's play this year, he's a dog on defense. But I don't think that was a test... we didn't really have any other options, next man up after Okogie was Wainwright, and he still played 26 minutes!

I hope Okogie continues to see playing time, he's been fun, but whoever that 5th man in the starting group is... that dude is going to see a LOT of open looks, and Craig is a way better shooter than Okogie.

They're similar players, lots of hustle, lots of D, but Craig's shooting wins out. Also, I think Okogie is better at defending smaller guys, while Craig can hold his own against a lot of 4s in this league, and that position is going to require defending some bigger dudes.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Guys… I am continually flummoxed here. We all watch a TON of basketball and consume NBA news so how do sone of you forget that KD can’t stand Westbrook?
Allow me to unflummox you. I don't care if KD and Westbrook like each other. That's not what I asked.
I don't want Westbrook but I saw a video today talking about him coming to the Suns. Which is why I asked that question.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allow me to unflummox you. I don't care if KD and Westbrook like each other. That's not what I asked.
You literally asked if Kevin can be a Westbrook whisperer. We’ve literally already seen that he can’t. You also asked if either Monty or CP3 could. But the fact that KD hates Russ means it’s immaterial if either could because there’s no way we’re immediately alienating our new superstar.

So considering all that, I’m still flummoxed. Do you really see a scenario where the team immediately decides to piss in KD’s face and bring someone on the team he hates?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose