Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB (3): 7-Leinart; 13-Warner; 2-St. Pierre

RB (3): 32-James; 34-Hightower; 28-Arrington

FB (1): 45-Smith

WR (6): 11-Fitzgerald; 81-Boldin; 15-Breaston; 80-Doucet; 85-Urban; 87-Morey

TE (3): 89-Patrick; 82-Pope; 84-Tuman

OL (10): 69-Gandy; 74-Wells; 63-Sendlein; 76-Lutui; 75-L. Brown; 50-Johnson; 61-E.Brown; 68-Vallejo; 72-Keith; 70-Ross

Note: Al Johnson may not be ready for game one, but they will need to keep a roster spot for him, and in the interim keep Ross or Harvey (if he beats out Ross). When Johnson is healthy again, Ross/Harvey will likely be released.

Offense: (26)

NT (3): 97-Robinson; 98-Watson; 78-Branch

DE (6): 90-Dockett; 94-Smith; 92-Berry; 93-Campbell; 91-Iwebema; 55-LaBoy

OLB (3): 56-Okeafor; 53-Haggans; 59-Harrington

ILB (4): 54-Hayes; 58-Dansby; 57-Holloway; 95-Highsmith

CB (4): 29-Rodgers-Cromartie; 25-Green; 26-Hood; 20-Brown

S (4): 24-Wilson; 21-Rolle; 47-Francisco; 22-Ware

Note: Monty Beisel is not yet on the field and with a back injury, there's no telling if he'll be able to play and play with his usual toughness. If he can...Holloway or Highsmith gets bumped to the practice squad.

Defense: (24)

ST (3): 1-Rackers; 9-Johnson; 48-Hodel

Total: 26 + 24 + 3 = 53

PS (8): 33-Baylark; 46-Castille; 60-Clifford; 73-Dykes; 36 Marcus Brown; 38-Keyes; 71-Robinson; 19-Long

Bubble Players for PS: 12-Morelli; 41-Bain; 62-Banks; 44-Johnson; 83-Miller; 49-Shor; 67-Satele;

Updates each week. State/predict yours!

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nice work. Just a couple of quick thoughts:

Can the Cards put Castille on the practice squad after he was on the 53-man roster for all 16 games last season (though he was an inactive)?

Our OL depth is terrible. Elton Brown and Brandon Keith are the only guys that aren't immediately replaceable. Hopefully Vallejo and Ross are replaced by free agents after Week 1. Hurry back Al Johnson.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I like Beisel but I would really like to see Holloway and Highsmith make the roster. Holloway's blowup at the end of the half last night (IIRC) was awesome!! Add that to his aerial sack from last year you would think he would be given more time in the next few games to prove himself. Highsmith look good and seemed to be everywhere the ball was maybe a step behind in some instances.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Castille was not on the 53 Man Roster last year until late in the year...and he appeared in no games. So, he's definitley a PS candidate.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Castille was not on the 53 Man Roster last year until late in the year...and he appeared in no games. So, he's definitley a PS candidate.

You are correct that he is elligible for the PS this year but how you got there is not correct.

Castille was on the 53 man roster for all 16 games last year, but he was inactive for all of them. If he would have dressed for 8 or more games he would no longer be elligible.

A little confusing but here are the rules as they are written in the Labor agreement.

each club may establish a Practice Squad of no more than eight (8) players who are free agents.The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment. A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s physical and been a member of the club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or postseason games during his first two Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one regular season or postseason game during his third Practice Squad season. (A bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or postseason weekend in question.) and who did not dress for more than eight (8) regular season games during their only accrued (i.e., on the 53 man roster for at least 6 games) season. Minimum salary for a practice squad player shall be $4,700 per week for the 2006-07 League Years, $5,200 per week for the 2008-10 League Years and the 2011 League Year if it is an Uncapped Year, and $5,700 per week for the 2011 League Year if it is a Capped Year and the 2012 League Year, including postseason weeks in which his Club is in the playoffs. Aigher salary can be negotiated. In addition, a player under contract to a club as a Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with another NFL club during the season in order to be on the second club's Active/Inactive (i.e., 53 man) list. A practice squad player may not sign an NFL Player Contract with his Club’s next opponent later than 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the sixth day preceding the game (except in bye weeks, when the prohibition commences on the tenth day preceding the game).If another club signs a Practice Squad player to its 53 man roster it does not have to provide any sort of compensation to the player's former club but it generally must keep the player on the 53 man roster for at least 3 weeks, thereby mandating that he earns in 2007 the minimum first year salary for said 3 week period ($285,000 prorated weekly). Also note that a team can add and release players from the practice squad as often as it desires and the eight (8) man limit does not have to be maintained. A player may be on the practice squad for two seasons; three weeks on the practice squad count as a season. An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment. The League may elect to allow some or all Clubs to add to their practice squads one additional player, who shall not count against the limit above, whose citizenship and principal place of residence are outside the United States and its Territories (“International Player”). The League’s election in any one season shall not determine or affect its election in any subsequent season.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
I don't know if this a hunch or what but I think Ware gets cut and Keyes takes his place as the backup SS.

But I have been wrong before.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
That is about as good of a chart as any at this juncture.

I think all I would change is maybe 1 less OL or one less WR. Dont think you need 10 OL to start the season. Think we need another DB, maybe a waiver wire pick up or Keyes. Like you said though maybe after the first week and you know for sure that Johnson is healthy you can cut Ross and bring in another DB after that.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
My only arguement is.

I think Beisel is in, no matter what.

Highsmith and Halloway are fighting for a spot.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is room for Highsmith. My guess is he might have a spot on the practice squad if he continues to bring it during the next couple of games. He looked OK against scrubs but I still have doubts whether he can ever compete with true starters.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's tough to read too much from one preseason game, but what I'm guessing is -

- We won't see much more of Morelli - except maybe if it's decided to soil-bank him on the PS

- Hightower - Meet your new #2 RB.

- Arrington - Don't be shocked if the Cards don't pick up another 3rd down back on the open market if available.

- T Smith may get more touches if he can repeat that 1Q RAC for a near TD

- Look for Pope to languish at #2 on the depth chart behind Patrick until (unless) he solves his snap-count issues.

- Calais Campbell not only made plays but also hustled in downfield pursuit. I wouldn't be shocked if he pushed his way into a starting role as a DE on 3-4 run downs.

- Iwebema played up to Camp hype. I like our D-line depth.

- Holloway showed that last year's Superman sack wasn't a fluke by making a few plays. It's crowded at LB, but keep your eye on him.

- Well...I guess DRC can play physical football.

- Given our weaknesses on kick and punt coverage and the atrocious tackling by several DB's (including Adams, Celestin & Bain) on Meacham's 60 yard TD RAC, look for at least one head to roll - if for no other reason than to set an example.

- Francisco definitely did NOT make a case for starting ahead of Rolle - it's not for lack of trying, but he looked a step "late" all evening.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Franscisco was close enough to break up all of those plays...that's the good news. Now he needs to learn how to locate the ball when it's in the air...so that he can make plays on the ball.

To throw him under the bus after the first pre-season game is wrong, especially since he was in position to make those plays.

Besides, he is still one of the top three ST players on the roster.

And maybe he's better off backing up AW at SS, because if it's one thing Francisco does well, he hits.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
- Calais Campbell not only made plays but also hustled in downfield pursuit. I wouldn't be shocked if he pushed his way into a starting role as a DE on 3-4 run downs.

- Iwebema played up to Camp hype. I like our D-line depth.

Both of these guys impressed the hell out of me. They both looked very quick and strong. They both hustled and were relentless. I remember one play where Iwebema broke through the line and tripped. He popped off the ground and had great burst to still make a play. I really like what I've seen so far.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thread.

I lean, as usual with Jeff. We share almost the same eyes.

• 1. Stout was right. Morelli is out of football in three weeks.
  • 2. Aaron Francisco, for all his athleticism and speed, cannot play NFL FS. He will be cut if Ware or somebody else shows anything the next two weeks.
  • 3. Hold off on FB. Tim Castille may yet prevail or we may keep 2 FBs. (explained later) Smith is old and the Cards like Tim Castille.
  • 4. TE. Going out on a limb and reading between the lines, one surprising veteran cut will be made and Pope's continued boneheaded penalties and poor play make him a candidate.
  • My guess is two blocking TEs make the roster or two FBs -- not both. One thing or the other.
  • 5. Alan Branch. Surely, you noticed how long he played, how poorly, and how the Saints kept attacking our middle with success? My opinion is the coaching staff is giving him the opportunity to cut himself. And he's doing it. And making all our MLBs and DEs look bad because of it.
  • Alan Branch may be chopped. If he is not, Pope will. It's possible both will be cut if this head coach is as good as I think he is.
  • 6. WR Morey is gone. Rector is indeed fast and catches but doesn't appear to get separation. End of the line if Lance Long is kept. Last night was not a good evaluation of Long because St. Pierre had Rectoritis, throwing to him repeatedly when double-covered, to the exclusion of other options. If Long goes practice squad, Rector stays on the active roster.
  • 7. At CB, #20 Ralph Brown, an eight year backup veteran is playing himself off the team, as evidenced last night.
  • 8. Completely disagree that our oline depth is horrible. It is unproven. Center depth is horrible.
  • 9. I have no opinion yet on Highsmith or Holloway but lean with Jeff at keeping Holloway active.

It's all worth revisiting the next two weeks.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorp, who would the second blocking TE be? Surely not Alex Shor. Ben Patrick is a pass-catching TE first. :shrug:

If the Cards cut Alan Branch, than the consensus Rod Graves First Draft will have been very poor. Only one player chosen on the first day is even on the roster two camps later? Disastrous. That disaster might not be evident this season, or maybe even next, but you can't utterly whiff on two first-day picks and maintain a level of quality. Just ask the Bengals.

The Cards missing on Leckey, Stepanovich, Brandon Johnson, and Daryl Blackstock put them in the position to be incredibly thin on the offensive line, and one of the most cap-poor teams in the NFL (Keep in mind that the average NFL team has $12 million+ in cap space right now, and that the Cards have maybe $3 million).

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Skkorp, who would the second blocking TE be? Surely not Alex Shor. Ben Patrick is a pass-catching TE first.

I can't remember who it was, mabye Todd Haley, say that Alex Shor has made huge strides this year and is getting the coaches attention.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
My only arguement is.

I think Beisel is in, no matter what.

Highsmith and Halloway are fighting for a spot.

Dont forget Matt Stewart -- vet LB from Cleveland they signed

on the 4th and 1 stop -- he was the guy who submarined in and blew up the play

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I can't remember who it was, mabye Todd Haley, say that Alex Shor has made huge strides this year and is getting the coaches attention.

Shor is my surprise pick over Pope who will false start his way off the team.

We'll really get some more insight next week as imo game 2 of preseason is where you see the bubble guys that the coaches favor get more playing time.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with Skkorp that - unless we have someone better - now is not the time to throw Francisco under the bus.

That said - he still played abysmally Thursday.

My biggest gripe was when - playing in a 4 corner zone he let Meacham get behind him for a long reception.

Francisco's primary assignment in a 4- corners scheme is: "Don't let anyone get behind you." (Aaron isn't a rookie anymore. That should never happen).

To me, a key "job description" for a free safety must include "enough speed and athleticism to get to the sideline to provide deep help to the corner. In this respect, Rolle represents an upgrade, but who do we have behind him? Right now it's Francisco (who, to me, is a step slow to play FS and not physical enough to step in adequately to back up A-Dub.

For now, Francisco is probably the best we've got as a backup, and I think we have to live with it. But we're going to have to fix the problem of lack of backup safety speed at some point not too far down the road.