49'ers will win the division...or so says --

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
According to ESPN.com, Even though the San Francisco 49ers are one of the NFL's three currently winless teams and mired in last place in the NFC West, owner and president Jed York predicted they are going to bounce back in historical fashion. "We're going to win the division," York predicted Monday morning in a text to ESPN.

I understand the man has to say something but is he sincere (but deluded) or playing to the fan base (insincere and desperately wanting seats to be filled)? Does he make the same statement when they're 0-6?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Cowheard said this morining that he is still "buying" the Niners...

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
He guaranteed that the Niners would make the playoffs last year and you see how well that went. Hope he keeps opening his mouth it seems to always make good bulletin board material.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Not only are we going to Carolina," York said. "We're going to Arizona, and we're going to Green Bay. And we're going to San Diego. And then we're going to the playoffs., an then to Super Bowl. Yeah."

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
if there is any division that you could do it in its ours right now....niners go at least 8-3 from now on in.....nope!

Actually, with the exception of playing us twice (I still think they'll beat us in SF and I'm not at all confident that we'll take them in the Monday nighter either), their schedule is very, very favorable. Perhaps the toughest team they face is the Chargers who are certainly having some issues thus far this year (of course you wouldn't know that by the way they smash-caked us...).
You can make a case for the 9ers going 8 & 3 the rest of the way... They play 4 of their next 5 games at home, with a Bye tossed in there as well. Hell, I can actually see them going 9 & 2 the rest of the way. Unlikely of course, but IMHO, they remain the most talented team in the West and again, with their incredibly favorable schedule the rest of the way, well.... I won't feel comfortable about them being out of it until they are actually out of it...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, with the exception of playing us twice (I still think they'll beat us in SF and I'm not at all confident that we'll take them in the Monday nighter either), their schedule is very, very favorable. Perhaps the toughest team they face is the Chargers who are certainly having some issues thus far this year (of course you wouldn't know that by the way they smash-caked us...).
You can make a case for the 9ers going 8 & 3 the rest of the way... They play 4 of their next 5 games at home, with a Bye tossed in there as well. Hell, I can actually see them going 9 & 2 the rest of the way. Unlikely of course, but IMHO, they remain the most talented team in the West and again, with their incredibly favorable schedule the rest of the way, well.... I won't feel comfortable about them being out of it until they are actually out of it...

I feel comfortable about them being out of it, until they are in it. 0-5. Ha ha.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me... but 3 games out of first place, with 11 more games to play constitutes still being "in it"... ;)

dont worry I think the same thing. Dont forget that one of the those home games is Wembley (where i shall boo the bejesus out of them), which could either really count agaisnt them as it now the easiest trip but you look at what some of the teams have done coming over here and using it as a teambuilding trip.

you can back them at 10's (Rams 6 with us and Hawks about even) if you want to put you mind at ease.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"Not only are we going to Carolina," York said. "We're going to Arizona, and we're going to Green Bay. And we're going to San Diego. And then we're going to the playoffs., an then to Super Bowl. Yeah."

Anyone remember that great Democrat who sounded just like that and then lost the nomination for President??? He sorta' flipped his wig. I do.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
If we had their next 5 fixtures i really think we would be thinking at least 3 or 4 wins.

despite their record i really think they are not that bad. All they need is a HC and they would be much much better overnight.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at their schedule, it is possible they could go 8-3 the rest of the way. It is also VERY possible, and more probable, they only win 5 or 6.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You must be listening to Cowherd. How can you reasonably make a case for an 0-5 team going 8-3 the rest of the way? More likely they finish 3-8.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You must be listening to Cowherd. How can you reasonably make a case for an 0-5 team going 8-3 the rest of the way? More likely they finish 3-8.

Oh.. I dunno... How can you make a case that there would be only 3 other teams in the NFL with larger negative point differentials than the Cards, and those 3 teams would be winless... yet, the Cards lead their division? How can you make a case that would've produced a W for the Cards against the defending SB Champs, if I told you the offense wouldn't score a single TD, with an undrafted rookie at the helm, and that we would still put up 30 points?

IMHO, I think the 9ers are equally, if not more talented than we are. They have the bad mojo thing going, and as long as we play at home, we've got the good mojo thing going.

But if you look at their schedule, and if you believe as I do that they will ultimately play better this season, I really don't believe it's all that far-fetched to merely suggest that it's plausible for the 9ers to go 8 & 3 the rest of the way...

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I dont see how any reasonable person could claim the Niners would finish 8-3 with the way that team plays under Singletary.

They are horrible on the road and still dont know how to win games.

I believe Oakland will beat them, will beat Carolina, Lose in London to the Broncos, Beat STL.; Tampa bay is a toss-up, @AZ Loss, Lose@GB, Seattle toss-up, @SD loss,@STL Win; AZ Win,

If they win the toss up games, that puts the team @6-10 if they win the toss up games.

So they lose "pretty' who cares... If they are 0-6 or 1-7 the team will be playing for nothing...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I dont see how any reasonable person could claim the Niners would finish 8-3 with the way that team plays under Singletary.

They are horrible on the road and still dont know how to win games.

I believe Oakland will beat them, will beat Carolina, Lose in London to the Broncos, Beat STL.; Tampa bay is a toss-up, @AZ Loss, Lose@GB, Seattle toss-up, @SD loss,@STL Win; AZ Win,

If they win the toss up games, that puts the team @6-10 if they win the toss up games.

So they lose "pretty' who cares... If they are 0-6 or 1-7 the team will be playing for nothing...

Anything is possible... However, I would put their chances of getting to 8 wins slightly below ours, and above that of the Hawks and the Rams. We'll see.... nothing would please me more than to see them go 0 & 16!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
After watching them lose all 5 games, i think they could easily to 3-2 right now. I too believe it is plausible they could go 8-3 the rest of the way. I'm not counting them out yet, too much time left, especially for this division.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The mistakes they are makign to lose games are at home and on the road, against good teams, and against bad teams.

So I don't think you can assume they will stop blowing close games just because they are playing a soft schedule. Sing is still Sing, Alex Smith is still Alex Smith.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bottom line, when they appear to be bigger in my side mirror than they really are I'll pay attention to them. Until then they don't deserve my attention.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The mistakes they are makign to lose games are at home and on the road, against good teams, and against bad teams.

So I don't think you can assume they will stop blowing close games just because they are playing a soft schedule. Sing is still Sing, Alex Smith is still Alex Smith.

Smith actually played pretty well last night... 64% completion percentage, 3 TD's and 300 yards doesn't suck... His two INT's hurt of course. But so too did Gore's two fumbles.

I just don't see it as a stretch to suggest that this team is much better (talent wise) than their 0 & 5 record. If they lose their next game, well, then I would say it's near impossible to come back from an 0 & 6 start. But then, if we lose to the Seahawks after our bye, the 9ers would still only be 3 games out of first place, even though they would not yet have won a game. Gotta love the NFC Worst Division!!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smith actually played pretty well last night... 64% completion percentage, 3 TD's and 300 yards doesn't suck... His two INT's hurt of course. But so too did Gore's two fumbles.

I just don't see it as a stretch to suggest that this team is much better (talent wise) than their 0 & 5 record. If they lose their next game, well, then I would say it's near impossible to come back from an 0 & 6 start. But then, if we lose to the Seahawks after our bye, the 9ers would still only be 3 games out of first place, even though they would not yet have won a game. Gotta love the NFC Worst Division!!
Smith's fumble negated pretty much all he did right last night.