30th ranked offensive line through 3 games - PFF

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-week-3-of-the-2019-nfl-season

Pugh killing it in the pass game, and Sweezy is our best ranked which I easily agree with watching our games and the replays on game pass.

Yeah, we are in a tough situation. We really need upgrades at every position, but our guards are just good enough and paid enough we are probably stuck with them for a while.

I wish they would tryout Galliard at center and see what he can do. Shipley will be gone next year, and is performing sub optimally. We should see what he can do, or at least go to cole who is at least young and might improve.

I would be in favor of getting the best FA tackle available, and using our 1st rounder for the other tackle. I have seen enough of Humphries at this point to know he is never going to be someone a good team will want at left tackle.

The silver lining if we have a bad year is we will likely be able to trade our high pick for a qb hungry team and make out well.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Somewhere on here, there is a post that Shipley had a very good rating (if I remember correctly, in the 90's?).

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the guards continue playing solid and are under contract for next season then that is at least a building block.

Let Cole and Galliard battle for center.

Draft the best LT early in round 1.

Sign the best FA RT, not a washed up injury prone guy. Even better, develop one of the ones on the roster into a starter instead of cutting them each year for a new late round project.

A competent GM could improve the line significantly going into next season with just two moves. Leaves plenty of cap room and draft capital to spend elsewhere, like how about signing Chris Jones for the defensive line?

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Most importantly, PFF rates Bobby Massie as the highest graded OL for the Bears. Wonder if he is better than any of our RTs the past few years?

:)

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Damn disappointing so far.

Was hoping for something in the 20 - 22 range. I guess Gilbert being out doesn't help but still. It's been a disaster the last two games.

Honestly its amazing that we've been as productive on offense as we've been. It's a credit to the coaches and skill position players.

K2 getting it done with smoke and mirrors.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trade for Trent Williams - you can afford to pay an all pro LT

the rest are garbage

1.5 seconds has been Murray's average time of pass protection.....and study reveals a stop sign alone will delay a D lineman 1 second trying to read it.

Could the Cardinals just use the push sled's as the O lineman?

Maybe just maybe stop signing guys with injuries who'll never play.

Keim 'I know you've been hurt in the past, How you doing?'

every FA ever 'I'm great Steve, ready to go full speed!'

Keim to Mike 'Sign him"

Mike 'should we get a medical on him'

Keim 'Na I'll take his word for it'

Mike 'Ok you got it'

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1-Dvontel...nice call on the Giants line so far. More of a disparity than I had thought.

2-I still would argue our line is comparable to Jacksonville's. I don't see a huge difference between the bottom 12 teams on that list.

3-Silver lining...our worst spots are apparently LT, RT, C. None of those players are currently under contract next year!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Damn disappointing so far.

Was hoping for something in the 20 - 22 range. I guess Gilbert being out doesn't help but still. It's been a disaster the last two games.

Honestly its amazing that we've been as productive on offense as we've been. It's a credit to the coaches and skill position players.

K2 getting it done with smoke and mirrors.
A healthy Gilbert is a big difference to any line. His top end play is better than average.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I really wonder if the Redskins would take a 2nd rounder in 2020 for Trent Williams.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly I would be down with drafting Wirfs/Thomas in the 1st round then drafting another Tackle in the 3rd.

Think we need to use that 2nd for a pass-rusher.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Trade for Trent Williams - you can afford to pay an all pro LT

the rest are garbage

1.5 seconds has been Murray's average time of pass protection.....and study reveals a stop sign alone will delay a D lineman 1 second trying to read it.

Could the Cardinals just use the push sled's as the O lineman?

Maybe just maybe stop signing guys with injuries who'll never play.

Keim 'I know you've been hurt in the past, How you doing?'

every FA ever 'I'm great Steve, ready to go full speed!'

Keim to Mike 'Sign him"

Mike 'should we get a medical on him'

Keim 'Na I'll take his word for it'

Mike 'Ok you got it'
Yeah...if you really want to move this team forward, that is what I think.

Offer a 2nd in 2020 or a 1st in 2021 with the condition that he signs a 3 year ext which would put him on the roster until he is 35/36. Pay him 13 per year. Move Humphries to RT and see if he is worth re-signing. If not, take the comp pick.

At least then you can have more options in round 1 next year. OT, WR, DE, OLB, S will all still be big needs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Honestly I would be down with drafting Wirfs/Thomas in the 1st round then drafting another Tackle in the 3rd.

Think we need to use that 2nd for a pass-rusher.
We would almost have to unless we re-sign Humphries long term or franchise him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Somewhere on here, there is a post that Shipley had a very good rating (if I remember correctly, in the 90's?).

That is on his pass blocking. He is a terrible run blocker, which is quite important for the center position.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most importantly, PFF rate Bobby Massie as the highest grades OL for the Bears. Wonder if we be better than any of our RTd the past few years?

:)

Yeah, I still don't understand why we did not try and resign him. He was not great, but he was solid.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1.5 seconds has been Murray's average time of pass protection.....and study reveals a stop sign alone will delay a D lineman 1 second trying to read it.'

That's pretty good right there.

Williams has about 4 years left, 3 of which will probably be good, and the last a clunker that will usher him out of the league.
The Skins may take a 2nd considering they have nothing now from him, and our 2nd round pick is likely going to be #34/35 overall. But we can't pay him now, which is the problem.

Would you trade a Peterson for him?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyle Odegard (@Kyle_Odegard)
9/24/19, 10:50 AM
A.Q. Shipley has won his pass-blocking matchups 97% of the time this season, which is second-best among NFL centers, per ESPN

Ronin posted this in another thread. This is the post I was referring to. Don't know about his run blocking, but his pass blocking seems to be not too bad.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's wild that the argument is being made to acquire Trent Williams. He hasn't played a full season in like 6 years (I don't know the exact number), and he's extremely old. He would block for Kyler for maybe his rookie deal and then we'd be in the position of trying to find a new LT at the same time we'll be looking to pay Kyler.

This team needs its draft picks more than anything. It needs to succeed with those picks. We cannot expect to succeed year after year after year if we never acquire cheap, young talent, of which we have very little.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You're excited about a former backup Center from the Colts who is currently forcing last year's third round pick onto the bench?

:bday:
I could give 2 craps about the pick....when your center is being rated 2nd in pass blocking so far thats good. But yes i can see the NEGATIVE side that youre pointing out

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's wild that the argument is being made to acquire Trent Williams. He hasn't played a full season in like 6 years (I don't know the exact number), and he's extremely old. He would block for Kyler for maybe his rookie deal and then we'd be in the position of trying to find a new LT at the same time we'll be looking to pay Kyler.

This team needs its draft picks more than anything. It needs to succeed with those picks. We cannot expect to succeed year after year after year if we never acquire cheap, young talent, of which we have very little.
He is 31. Andrew Whitworth is older and still effective. If Williams plays 14 games...he is worth it. He already have a health concern with Humphries.

I disagree about this team needing draft picks. Draft picks are about acquiring cheap talent that is unproven. This team needs proven talent regardless of cost. The idea that we are going to suddenly hit on 80% of our draft picks next year is naive. We haven't' done it in the past. It isn't common league wide. Why would we think next year will be any different.

I am on the record saying I would trade a ton of my 2020 and 2021 picks right now for proven players as long as I can keep them under contract.

AJ Green
Trent Williams
Kenyan Drake
Jamal Adams
Emmanuel Sanders
OJ Howard
Leonard Williams

Outside of our first round pick next year, I would be open to use picks to grab up as many of these guys as possible. People will argue that this will impact our depth, but honestly, we have too many depth players. Our shortage is in starting quality players. Jamal Adams, the Thompsons, and Baker are a great 4 S corp moving forward. Alford, Peterson, Murphy, Brock and Jones is a nice 5 deep CB group. Gunter isn't bad if he doesn't have to start. The interior of our line isn't changing soon...Galliard, Cole, Pugh and Sweezy are all locked in for next year. Our WR corp is fine 2-6...the issue is a #1 guy. RB is fine and you can find them everywhere.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Since KM is going to be the QB for the forseeable future then you have to give him more tools to succeed.Humphries doesn`t cut it IMO,Gilbert is too brittle,Shipley might be pass blocking okay but I would rather see Cole.OLINE and DLINE have to be priorities next draft.I would hate to see draft picks traded for over 30 plus linemen.How often has that worked out for the Cards.Draft a kid and grow with him.This team isn`t likely a contender for a couple of years at least so draft wisely instead of throwing money at aging "name" players.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Since KM is going to be the QB for the forseeable future then you have to give him more tools to succeed.Humphries doesn`t cut it IMO,Gilbert is too brittle,Shipley might be pass blocking okay but I would rather see Cole.OLINE and DLINE have to be priorities next draft.I would hate to see draft picks traded for over 30 plus linemen.How often has that worked out for the Cards.Draft a kid and grow with him.This team isn`t likely a contender for a couple of years at least so draft wisely instead of throwing money at aging "name" players.
Trading picks...I don't know but the Rams signed Andrew Whitworth to a big deal and it has worked out pretty well. Seahawks went and acquired Duane Brown to ok results. Years ago the Chiefs got Willie Roaf to solid results.

Again, with a rookie QB and looking at a rookie contract, draft and develop is almost the best way to waste those cheap years. Get ready to go talent in now, and then draft and develop later when Murray becomes more expensive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave