Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 Body Problem

Release date: March 21, 2024
Studio: Netflix
Directors: Multiple
MPAA Rating: TV-MA
Screenwriters: David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Alexander Woo, based on the novels by Cixin Liu
Genre: Adventure | Drama | Fantasy

Starring: Marlo Kelly, Saamer Usmani, Jess Hong, Jovan Adepo, Rosalind Chao,
Sea Shimooka, John Bradley, Eiza González, Liam Cunningham

Plot Summary: A fateful decision made in 1960s China reverberates in the present, where a group of scientists partner with a detective to confront an existential planetary threat.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm so mixed on this one. I'm excited it being 3 Body Problem but then I look at the show runners and remember GOT S6, 7, and 8. My hope right now is they'll be good like S1-5 since they have source material for the entire show. They seemed to be good at adapting (even though a lot of what they left out bugs me) and not so good at originals.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
3 Body Problem

Screenwriters: David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Alexander Woo, based on the novels by Cixin Liu

Plot Summary: A fateful decision made in 1960s China reverberates in the present, where a group of scientists partner with a detective to confront an existential planetary threat.

I'm hoping this becomes the Stranger Things replacement for Netflix as far as quality goes.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
damn..looks good..when I saw the title I thought it was about a hit man with a compact sedan

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 Body Problem

Can anybody watch that trailer and actually tell me what this is supposed to actually be about????

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This dropped yesterday BTW. I watched the first episode last night. I'm not sure on it yet. It was good enough that I'm giving it a shot but it didn't hook me the way I was hoping it would. There was no binge urge.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
E2 I thought was a little better than E1. I'll give E3 a shot tonight. I'm hoping it continues the trend. I think one of my issues was the amount of world building that they did to start out. I wish shows would split that up a little bit more. There seems to be a trend lately where all of it gets crammed into the opener.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So, the season went fast and at least finally entertained, although it was full of more plot holes than Swiss cheese. Wongers being in it was very helpful, along with Liam Cunningham and a strong cast full of acting chops. To be clear, it is absolutely not science fiction; it is science fantasy. It uses hard science and pretends to be science fiction, but it isn't.

And, if you find yourself in the middle of this series and don't know what it's about, do not, in any case, try reading the book. I was like 1/3 of the way through the book before anything even remotely speculative actually happened.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The show runners said they view this very similar to GoT where they knew if they got to the red wedding they would be a hit. They said there is a similar scene they have slated for S2 that would be the hook. The only issue is the money. It cost Netflix $20m an episode for S1.

I enjoyed season 1. You can get lost easily with all the science but halfway in you get drawn in.

Stout

Reaction score
The show runners said they view this very similar to GoT where they knew if they got to the red wedding they would be a hit. They said there is a similar scene they have slated for S2 that would be the hook. The only issue is the money. It cost Netflix $20m an episode for S1.

I enjoyed season 1. You can get lost easily with all the science but halfway in you get drawn in.
Uh, if you're banking on having to get to season 2 before the hook, you're really doing it wrong. It seems popular enough to get another season, though.

Wait, $20 mill an episode for season 1? How? It very well may not get renewed.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Uh, if you're banking on having to get to season 2 before the hook, you're really doing it wrong. It seems popular enough to get another season, though.

Wait, $20 mill an episode for season 1? How? It very well may not get renewed.
This article basically details what I said.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
wow, this show doesn't look like $20m per episode. Where does the money go? It always seems crazy when Foundation cost $45m for S1 and is amazing looking and then you have this show at $20m per episode and it's not even close.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I liked the show.
one issue though...

when the alien says, "we appear this way because its nicer for you"

nah bitch, your gonna need to show me exactly what you actually look like.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure after the pilot but has me intrigued.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I finished it last night. Over all it was ok but not anything mind blowing. I’ll give S2 a chance if they get it but it could have been better. I was a bit higher on it through 6 episodes. The last 2 lost me a little bit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was solid, but nothing truly special.

Netflix does have another couple humdingers on their hands though for the first time in a while with Ripley and Baby Reindeer. Neither are anything like 3 Body, or even Sci fi but they recently dropped and are completely and utterly riveting in all kinds of wrong/weird ways.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Netflix does have another couple humdingers on their hands though for the first time in a while with Ripley and Baby Reindeer. Neither are anything like 3 Body, or even Sci fi but they recently dropped and are completely and utterly riveting in all kinds of wrong/weird ways.
Like you! :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started to get into this but then got busy at work and went on vacation. Need to finish.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

"Solid but nothing special" is a good summation of my thoughts as well, at least when I finished it. I've liked it a little bit less the more I've digested the show. Most of my issues seem to be from D&D's translation of the books to screen. They dropped to much of the hard science and it left the show full of holes. Every time I think something doesn't make sense or has an issue when I ask about it I always get a "they explained that in the books like…" So it really seems like they dropped a lot of the hard sci-fi to dumb it down for the masses. They did the same thing in GoT with a lot of the magic and hard fantasy elements too.

Stout

Reaction score
"Solid but nothing special" is a good summation of my thoughts as well, at least when I finished it. I've liked it a little bit less the more I've digested the show. Most of my issues seem to be from D&D's translation of the books to screen. They dropped to much of the hard science and it left the show full of holes. Every time I think something doesn't make sense or has an issue when I ask about it I always get a "they explained that in the books like…" So it really seems like they dropped a lot of the hard sci-fi to dumb it down for the masses. They did the same thing in GoT with a lot of the magic and hard fantasy elements too.
The book has a hefty amount of science fantasy too.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

I liked this one, but agree that $20M an episode sounds outrageous.

And I just made a separate threat about Baby Reindeer - I'm 5 episodes in and WOW!