3-0 when Kyler has 10+ carries. 0-6-1 when he has less

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Obviously its important to think long term and want Kyler to be healthy.

Some of this falls of Kliff, but Kyler is equally at fault...if not moreso.

Kyler clearly wants to be a pocket QB. Thats great. However, right now Kyler also doesn't want to "stare down the barrel of a gun" to make throws. Since he's not confident in that yet he's got to run to slow down the rush and and create easier throwing windows.

In the Cardinals last two wins he didn't even even run for that much yards. However, its the threat of the run that opens up things for the RBs and the passing game.

Kyler's self preservation skills is both a strength and a weakness. I mentioned before that Kyler left a lot of yards on the field in the run game at OU. It was ok though because he knew offensively he could get it back in the pass game.

First clip of this vid could have been a touchdown or at least another 20 to 30 yards. Luckily we still got a TD later.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kyler has to make one guy miss and he's in the end zone. Lamar Jackson attempts to making that guy miss/cuts back and is going for the endzone.

Kyler ceritainly has the speed and acceleration.....he just doesn't always use it or is thinking safety. I do think he'll get use to using his speed next year. Lamar looks faster/more decisive after a year in the NFL. No I don't think Kyler is Lamar as a runner, but I'm just saying he could be better than what he's shown. However, there are times (against corners/safties) in the open field he's going to have to try and make guys miss. In college/HS he didn't have to run his hardest all the time because of how loaded his teams were. So he's still adjusting with that.

The redzone issues are because Kyler isn't a real threat to run. Kliff could call a few more read option plays, but Kyler rarely looks willing to step up in the pocket and takeoff either.

If Kyler can commit to being a threat on the ground we'll get more wide open wrs like with Andy on the RPO.

I've grown more optimistic since the game yesterday. However, its going to be on Kliff to use Kyler's legs more.....but more importantly for Kyler to still find that balance of safety/playmaker. I think Kliff's hands are a bit tied because Kyler doesn't like the designed runs much.

However, its why as good as he's been he hasn't had that Deshaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, etc impact in terms of winning (yes I know other teams are better, but I'm talking winnable situations)

Because right now Kyler isn't standing in the pocket or climbing the pocket (getting drilled) to make big completions down the field, converting 3rd downs or redzone TDs. So he has to be willing to run. He can't avoids hits all game. He has to make a decision. If he wants to be a pocket passer thats fine. Just do what the good pocket passers do and take the neccessary hits in order to move he chains and get touchdowns. Otherwise he needs to get down the field when running the ball.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can cry all you want but the last thing I want is designed runs for Kyler

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Obviously its important to think long term and want Kyler to be healthy.

Some of this falls of Kliff, but Kyler is equally at fault...if not moreso.

Kyler clearly wants to be a pocket QB. Thats great. However, right now Kyler also doesn't want to "stare down the barrel of a gun" to make throws. Since he's not confident in that yet he's got to run to slow down the rush and and create easier throwing windows.

In the Cardinals last two wins he didn't even even run for that much yards. However, its the threat of the run that opens up things for the RBs and the passing game.

Kyler's self preservation skills is both a strength and a weakness. I mentioned before that Kyler left a lot of yards on the field in the run game at OU. It was ok though because he knew offensively he could get it back in the pass game.

First clip of this vid could have been a touchdown or at least another 20 to 30 yards. Luckily we still got a TD later.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kyler has to make one guy miss and he's in the end zone. Lamar Jackson attempts to making that guy miss/cuts back and is going for the endzone.

Kyler ceritainly has the speed and acceleration.....he just doesn't always use it or is thinking safety. I do think he'll get use to using his speed next year. Lamar looks faster/more decisive after a year in the NFL. No I don't think Kyler is Lamar as a runner, but I'm just saying he could be better than what he's shown. However, there are times (against corners/safties) in the open field he's going to have to try and make guys miss. In college/HS he didn't have to run his hardest all the time because of how loaded his teams were. So he's still adjusting with that.

The redzone issues are because Kyler isn't a real threat to run. Kliff could call a few more read option plays, but Kyler rarely looks willing to step up in the pocket and takeoff either.

If Kyler can commit to being a threat on the ground we'll get more wide open wrs like with Andy on the RPO.

I've grown more optimistic since the game yesterday. However, its going to be on Kliff to use Kyler's legs more.....but more importantly for Kyler to still find that balance of safety/playmaker. I think Kliff's hands are a bit tied because Kyler doesn't like the designed runs much.

However, its why as good as he's been he hasn't had that Deshaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, etc impact in terms of winning (yes I know other teams are better, but I'm talking winnable situations)

Because right now Kyler isn't standing in the pocket or climbing the pocket (getting drilled) to make big completions down the field, converting 3rd downs or redzone TDs. So he has to be willing to run. He can't avoids hits all game. He has to make a decision. If he wants to be a pocket passer thats fine. Just do what the good pocket passers do and take the neccessary hits in order to move he chains and get touchdowns. Otherwise he needs to get down the field when running the ball.

I tend to agree with you SoonerLou. But maybe K2 knows this is a rebuilding year, and is limiting K1's exposure to hits.

If there was really something to play for yesterday, I bet K2 would have called a couple of RPOs on the drive where Murray threw the pick. I could be wrong though.

Still, K1 had almost 400 yards of total offense yesterday. That's got to be good enough from the QB spot.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards are 3-0 when I sit on the couch and 0-6-1 when I sit on the recliner.

Nice write up but that stat only tells a small portion of the story.
You must be registered for see images attach

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he has to find the right mix. I have no issue with him sliding or going out of bounds, I've seen Hundley enough I don't want him playing. I think yesterday the Bucs were very smart at keeping guys in the middle so when he tried to step up and run it wasn't easy. The one play he got grabbed and pulled down looked like a horse collar they didn't call it. There was another play where Suh brought him down and then in his follow through celebration kicked him. I think the kick was intentional I think they were being very clear if you want to run, we're going to beat you up.

He needs a happy medium I thought there was enough room to throw yesterday that he didn't really need to run as much but there were absolutely some plays he could have.

there was one drive where he had 2 throw aways and people on the game thread were complaining and I had to laugh, I want him to do that for the precise reason when he didn't and it got picked.

Kyler is already good, I think he's going to be a terrific player with as little as he actually played in college it's remarkable how good he actually is IMO.,

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he has to find the right mix. I have no issue with him sliding or going out of bounds, I've seen Hundley enough I don't want him playing. I think yesterday the Bucs were very smart at keeping guys in the middle so when he tried to step up and run it wasn't easy. The one play he got grabbed and pulled down looked like a horse collar they didn't call it. There was another play where Suh brought him down and then in his follow through celebration kicked him. I think the kick was intentional I think they were being very clear if you want to run, we're going to beat you up.

He needs a happy medium I thought there was enough room to throw yesterday that he didn't really need to run as much but there were absolutely some plays he could have.

there was one drive where he had 2 throw aways and people on the game thread were complaining and I had to laugh, I want him to do that for the precise reason when he didn't and it got picked.

Kyler is already good, I think he's going to be a terrific player with as little as he actually played in college it's remarkable how good he actually is IMO.,

Horse collar can only be called when pulling the back or the side of the jersey, not the front.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horse collar can only be called when pulling the back or the side of the jersey, not the front.

Correct I just googled it you're right. Interestingly, it does NOT apply to a QB who is in the pocket. I swear I've seen it called. But on that play Kyler was stepping up but likely still in the pocket would be interesting if it had been from behind. Makes sense the dangerous one is bending the guy back by doing it.

Learn something new all the time

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I figured the Cards would adopt the Russel Wilson rules

quarters 1-3 -- Wilson doesn't run very much.

quarter 4 with a game on the line: he runs

I don't mind K1 "saving" the keep on the RPO for later in the game when they need it -- but he does need to use it

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Interesting stat but I don't think the two things have any correlation.

They don't, because we scored more than enough points for what Kyler accomplished for most teams to win and the defense did not hold up their end of the bargain. We have a QB and an adequate WR group (not a championship one, but I am hoping Butler is the kind of guy who delivers when the bright lights are on game day). Between the three backs we currently have, we have enough firepower for a full backfield and depth (yes, I know DJ's contract is a stickler). We need a center and right tackle from this coming draft while we give Shipley a modest offer so the rookie can learn when ready

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While in Vegas, I met someone who is close to Murray (with proof).

Basically he said he wants to run more and throw deep more but Kingsbury doesn't want him to run and wants him to keep the throws short while he learns the NFL.

Take it for what you will but I was told he is playing a game manager role this year and next year he will have more leeway

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I watched the game again and Kyler Murray is rarified air when it comes to placing the ball where it needs to be. The Tampa game was his best yet. The front office needs to get him a possession receiver to move the chains in anticipation of Larry Fitzgerald retiring after this season or next. Kyler Murray will run in meaningful games when it is necessary and get extra yards. Can’t believe the guy is a rookie. And it is also apparent from watching the tape that Suggs, David Johnson, and Patrick Peterson are not putting on the gas and Reddick is a disaster. Hicks is one of the only players on the team who squares up and tackles.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Kyler is also 3-0 when he plays CIN, ATL, and NYG. In other words, the worst teams in the league.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler is also 3-0 when he plays CIN, ATL, and NYG. In other words, the worst teams in the league.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Atlanta potentially is a playoff team, and they just won in new Orleans 26-8

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Cards are 3-0 when outscoring the opponent...they are 0-6-1 when they don't.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose