Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t have safeties who don’t wish to tackle. May as well bring back the original $LB, Seth Joyner, while we’re at it, I suppose?

Understood I just think it's a problem we've seen all year where we're IMO playing 3 SS with 2 CB's and it's a big reason why we can't defend the pass. now 3 of them are rookies too they'll get better, but I think the lack of an actual ball hawk FS on this team is a real problem.

I'm not going to argue PP hasn't lost a step, but again as someone else said the last 4 games for Evans, 9 catches 96 yards(17 targets), 11 198 2 TD's on 12 targets, 12 180 (16 targets) 1 TD. So 4 for 82 with zero TD's(6 targets) is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. I assume the 2 PI's they called(I hated both calls) were the other 2 targets but that means when PP was in the game they targeted him against Evans 4 times total. In the brief time he was out they got 2 huge PI calls(again I didn't like either).

I don't think that's coincidence I think even having lost a step he's still far and away our best pass defender. I mean on the game thread people were blasting him on the play where Spielman, a former LB, pointed out how Redick took the wrong drop and PP had him shaded to one side on purpose and that's exactly where Winston threw it, over Redick to the open hole for a leaping catch. Spielman showed quite clearly how there was nothing PP could do there he did exactly what he was supposed to do but Redick screwed up.

He's not the best cover CB in the NFL anymore, we all see that, he's not a total disaster. Maybe we should have traded him but we didn't

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Some team knocking on the door to a SB appearance should offer a late 1st this off season. If not we see what a full season hopefully will bring I guess.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The only way someone is giving us anything of good value for P21 is if other teams think he just tanking because he doesn't want to be here or they think he will play better in their system.

His current play isn't justifying a good pick. His salary for 2020 is around a top 5 CB. Yes there is value in the sense that you get a lower risk rental because you can get him for a season without a long term contract investment and kick the tires.

Still if teams look at the difference between him and an avg run of the mill CB isn't that big why would you put $12M on your cap and give up a quality pick? The only way I see us getting a good pick in return is because an injury happens during 2020 and that team is desperate.

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
Lowest ranked player on PFF against TB. 46 overall . 41 against the pass. Btw

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were getting torched with him with most of the damage being against him(Michael Thomas & Emmanuel Sanders).

Sure I'm just saying I think we'll get torched even worse without him, like we were earlier in the year when we basically played nothing but zone and got shredded.

We'll see, he's not as good as he used to be but there's not a guy in the league that can cover Thomas.

If we tried to do with Murphy or Jones what we try to do with PP it would be much worse IMO.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
I rewatched parts of the game. Peterson actually had a really good game. Peeled off his man and ran up and made an open field tackle on a rb. Ps, where were the lbs. On the 1st sack we had, Winston was looking peterson way, held the ball and was sacked. One 1 pass he "gave up" to Evan's, had him locked down and Winston had 8 seconds to sit in the pocket, evan ran all the way back to the qb. The other pass to evan he "gave up" in the first half Peter had coverage over the top and Reddick was supposed to be underneath. The hold call was actually on kevin peterson. Will watch more later but you guys are crazy of you think he had a bad game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
A lot of people mitching about PP in this thread. He's still a top CB in this league & getting rid of him would just create another hole that would require a draft pick (which is risky) or FA money to replace him. He's had 2 bad games. I don't think he's in game shape after being out the first of the year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We are a better team with Peterson than we are without him. At 11 mil next year he is priced at the Janoris Jenkins and Malcolm Butler range, both whom he is better than. He isn't the player he was, and he isn't a value, but he is the best CB on this team and not-over-priced ala David Johnson.

If you can get a 1st for him...I guess you make the move, but you better have a better plan than Robert Alford to replace him because Byron Murphy isn't ready to handle the load.

I still prefer two years of production and a 3rd round compensatory pick than a late 1st coin-flip. However, you can sell me on trading Peterson if we sign FA Logan Ryan. I think Logan Ryan + a 1st pick is better than Peterson and a 3rd.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
We are a better team with Peterson than we are without him. At 11 mil next year he is priced at the Janoris Jenkins and Malcolm Butler range, both whom he is better than. He isn't the player he was, and he isn't a value, but he is the best CB on this team and not-over-priced ala David Johnson.

If you can get a 1st for him...I guess you make the move, but you better have a better plan than Robert Alford to replace him because Byron Murphy isn't ready to handle the load.

I still prefer two years of production and a 3rd round compensatory pick than a late 1st coin-flip. However, you can sell me on trading Peterson if we sign FA Logan Ryan. I think Logan Ryan + a 1st pick is better than Peterson and a 3rd.

I’ll take him next year too, if he wants to be here and plays like it.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sure I'm just saying I think we'll get torched even worse without him, like we were earlier in the year when we basically played nothing but zone and got shredded.

We'll see, he's not as good as he used to be but there's not a guy in the league that can cover Thomas.

If we tried to do with Murphy or Jones what we try to do with PP it would be much worse IMO.

We saw what we looked like without him for 6 games and it was BETTER than what we are seeing now.

I would rather have a less talented player on the field who actually wants to play hard and tackle.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I rewatched parts of the game. Peterson actually had a really good game. Peeled off his man and ran up and made an open field tackle on a rb. Ps, where were the lbs. On the 1st sack we had, Winston was looking peterson way, held the ball and was sacked. One 1 pass he "gave up" to Evan's, had him locked down and Winston had 8 seconds to sit in the pocket, evan ran all the way back to the qb. The other pass to evan he "gave up" in the first half Peter had coverage over the top and Reddick was supposed to be underneath. The hold call was actually on kevin peterson. Will watch more later but you guys are crazy of you think he had a bad game.

PFF gave him the lowest rating for any defensive player who stepped foot on the field yesterday, for the 2nd week in a row btw

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
PFF gave him the lowest rating for any defensive player who stepped foot on the field yesterday, for the 2nd week in a row btw
That makes no sense. Watch the game. Even the announcers were talking about what a good job he was doing on Evan's

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

We played better without Peterson. Murphy has gotten worse since Patrick Peterson came back

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We played better without Peterson. Murphy has gotten worse since Patrick Peterson came back
Murphy is getting picked on more with Peterson on the field. That is why he looks worse. We are getting more turnovers and sacks with Peterson on the field. We have played two good offenses in Tampa and SF, and two amazing offensive coaches. He hasn't been great but the defense has been better with Peterson.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That makes no sense. Watch the game. Even the announcers were talking about what a good job he was doing on Evan's

I DID watch the game, PFF confirmed what I saw. If you thought PP had a great game that’s fine, but he didn’t pas the eye test, or the analytics.

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score

finished rewatching. At *best* Peterson was poor. The announcers were just going on his old rep and Bullshiting like always.

Is 2019 Peterson better over 16 games that the scrubs under Murphy? Yes.. even when he sucks. That says little. Doesnt mean he’s not Being sloppy and playing poorly.

Peterson was their last drafted elite piece since losing Daryl Washington, Honey Badger, and Calais. He eats $12 million in cap and is supposed to be a veteran leader.

He needs to except he lost the money from his Suspension, the Cardinals weren’t required to restructure.

I have the distinct feeling that he’s going to hold out this off-season unless he gets a huge contract extension or gets traded. He wants to be on a team with a good defense so he looks good for his next contract. The Cardinals are rebuilding

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
finished rewatching. At *best* Peterson was poor. The announcers were just going on his old rep and Bullshiting like always.

Is 2019 Peterson better over 16 games that the scrubs under Murphy? Yes.. even when he sucks. That says little. Doesnt mean he’s not Being sloppy and playing poorly.

Peterson was their last drafted elite piece since losing Daryl Washington, Honey Badger, and Calais. He eats $12 million in cap and is supposed to be a veteran leader.

He needs to except he lost the money from his Suspension, the Cardinals weren’t required to restructure.

I have the distinct feeling that he’s going to hold out this off-season unless he gets a huge contract extension or gets traded. He wants to be on a team with a good defense so he looks good for his next contract. The Cardinals are rebuilding
I think like you are right, he wants a trade to a contender with a good D.

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
Nice tackle on that reversed play, and a easy catch for a TD despite having safety help today

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA