2024 Free Agency thread

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We're going to be so lit in 2040...nobody will see it coming!

Using FA to bring in scrubs and wishcasting the draft is an incredible self preservation move by Monti, credit where credit is due.
While I want a big signing or two, the most Raider thing I've ever seen is giving Wilkins $85 million guaranteed for one above average pass rushing season after having four very average years.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
While I want a big signing or two, the most Raider thing I've ever seen is giving Wilkins $85 million guaranteed for one above average pass rushing season after having four very average years.
Hilarious. The guy you pimped for the past six months is automatically overpaid and overrated because he got a market-value contract.

Absolute classic of the genre.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
No doubt - I'm not advocating for Wilkins per se, I'm saying we're going to need to explore other options outside of just the draft to acquire above average starters. We need a lot of them to be competitive!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hilarious. The guy you pimped for the past six months is automatically overpaid and overrated because he got a market-value contract.

Absolute classic of the genre.
And my thinking had shifted, and it was partially based on your comments that you could sign a couple Sheldon Rankins and should go after edge instead.

Keep up.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No doubt - I'm not advocating for Wilkins per se, I'm saying we're going to need to explore other options outside of just the draft to acquire above average starters. We need a lot of them to be competitive!

While it's fun to bang on the Cards organization for still feeling like free agency doesn't open until Wednesday, I do think it's fair to argue that the idea when building your roster is to get above-average starters exclusively through the draft. Get them cost-controlled and the kind of football character you want.

When you're on the edge of competing for the playoffs or the super bowl, distort your payroll to keep your window open/widen your window.

Monti is putting a lot of eggs in the basket that PJJ, Ojulari, Garrett Williams, Michael Wilson, and one of the other draft picks and three or four 2024 draft picks become one or two superstars plus the rest above-average starters.

If not, he's going to be on the hot seat come 2026 and we'll be in the purgatory that @DVontel often talks about.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I predict, we sign nobody these first two days.
Maybe even two weeks. Monti said we would do almost nothing in free agency and I have to believe him. We will sign a few guys but it won't be anyone of note.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Who were they su
While it's fun to bang on the Cards organization for still feeling like free agency doesn't open until Wednesday, I do think it's fair to argue that the idea when building your roster is to get above-average starters exclusively through the draft. Get them cost-controlled and the kind of football character you want.

When you're on the edge of competing for the playoffs or the super bowl, distort your payroll to keep your window open/widen your window.

Monti is putting a lot of eggs in the basket that PJJ, Ojulari, Garrett Wilson, Michael Wilson, and one of the other draft picks and three or four 2024 draft picks become one or two superstars plus the rest above-average starters.

If not, he's going to be on the hot seat come 2026 and we'll be in the purgatory that @DVontel often talks about.
WHO

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Monti is putting a lot of eggs in the basket that PJJ, Ojulari, Garrett Wilson, Michael Wilson, and one of the other draft picks and three or four 2024 draft picks become one or two superstars plus the rest above-average starters.

As you mention, that's putting a lot of eggs in the basket of PJJ/Ojulari/Garrett (Williams)/Michael Wilson. PJJ looked like an average starter at a non-premium position, and there is noise they'll keep him at RT, which would be a huge fail as a top 10 pick. Ojulari/Williams were ok, and Wilson flashed but also didn't get rid of the notion that his health will be a constant issue. If these guys are our "stars" of the future, I'm worried.

I think you have to explore trades/FA to see what you actually have - surrounding young guys with a bunch of scrubs also distorts perspective as well. Completely sitting out FA in 2022 was a choice - hopefully it's not more of the same this offseason.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Sorry. Garrett Williams.

Bruh. People were extremely excited about this guy because he got an INT in his first game and that anchored his QB rating against last year (an exceptional 79.6).

But when you go game-by-game it's about as meh as you can get:

You must be registered for see images attach

Current CB1 got roasted by Desmond Ridder but still.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Garrett Williams.

Bruh. People were extremely excited about this guy because he got an INT in his first game and that anchored his QB rating against last year (an exceptional 79.6).

Targeted one time is roasted? WHAT?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
As you mention, that's putting a lot of eggs in the basket of PJJ/Ojulari/Garrett (Williams)/Michael Wilson. PJJ looked like an average starter at a non-premium position, and there is noise they'll keep him at RT, which would be a huge fail as a top 10 pick. Ojulari/Williams were ok, and Wilson flashed but also didn't get rid of the notion that his health will be a constant issue. If these guys are our "stars" of the future, I'm worried.

I think you have to explore trades/FA to see what you actually have - surrounding young guys with a bunch of scrubs also distorts perspective as well. Completely sitting out FA in 2022 was a choice - hopefully it's not more of the same this offseason.

My feeling is you can't force stars and superstars. That's how you end up trading a first for Hollywood Brown.

I agree it's a high-risk proposition, but the #1 asset that Michael Bidwill has is time. The franchise isn't going anywhere and it's hard to imagine attendance being worse in 2024. Literally any move they make this year is likely to improve the roster, so we're going to be pre-excited for any season that ends between five and eight wins (barring injury).

I don't see a lot of potential for Ojulari or Williams to be more than solid starters. But if you take Calvin Ridley and add him to this 2024 roster, does that move the needle on the results?

There are plenty of professional players on the defensive line likely to be signed in the next 10 days; hopefully some of them will be Cardinals. I don't think any of the guys that I liked for the Cards have been signed.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Garrett Williams.

I think Williams will be fine. He gave up 18 yards a game and was targeted an average of 3 times a game on 40 snaps a game.

With that being said, I do want to sign a true #1 and let Williams grow a bit more next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard