2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
Guys standing out in the first group of WRs. Mitchell, McCaffrey, and McConkey.
This is where things start to separate for me.
Coleman ran a 4.6 40yd, but almost reach 21mph through the Gauntlet and was smooth as butter. (Way higher top-speed than guys that ran in the 4.3-4.4 range.
That's why I'd easily place Coleman/Mitchell > McConkey > McCaffrey as the standouts.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Bryce carried Bama’s offense his two years there.

JJ got carried by Michigan’s offense.
It is about the projection. McCarthy played a style at Michigan that NFL HCs love. Bryce Young went 1 because of his personality, consistency, and ability to play within an offense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Coleman ran a 4.5 40yd, but almost reach 21mph through the Gauntlet and was smooth as butter. (Way higher top-speed than guys that ran in the 4.3-4.4 range.
That's why I'd easily place Coleman/Mitchell > McConkey > McCaffrey as the standouts.
It depends on what you are looking for. McCaffrey is notable because he is a 2 year WR who looks very smooth and probably a 4th rounder. Some value there.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Coleman ran a 4.5 40yd, but almost reach 21mph through the Gauntlet and was smooth as butter. (Way higher top-speed than guys that ran in the 4.3-4.4 range.
McConkey looks clearly the best. However, I'd worry about Kyler getting the ball to him consistently.

Mitchell seems like an ideal fit. Im warming up to Coleman but the inability to separate scares me. He might do well on a team like the Rams though.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is about the projection. McCarthy played a style at Michigan that NFL HCs love. Bryce Young went 1 because of his personality, consistency, and ability to play within an offense.
Bryce Young would have never went #1 or round 1 period if NFL HCs didn’t love a style he played.

What you said about Bryce here, you couple replace with JJ & it would ring the same.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Bryce Young would have never went #1 or round 1 period if NFL HCs didn’t love a style he played.

What you said about Bryce here, you couple replace with JJ & it would ring the same.
Yes, I feel Young and McCarthy proj to the NFL similarly.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess I should have said maximize his potential. Using Kirk as an example. Kyler got it to him just fine, but Kirk would/did benefit from someone targeting the middle of the field more.

However, someone like Nabers is more of an exception where he has more of a gear. He's someone I could see Kyler still being able to maximize his potential. He's just that explosive.

McConkey would reach his with a more rhythmic thrower.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
McConkey looks clearly the best. However, I'd worry about Kyler getting the ball to him consistently.

Mitchell seems like an ideal fit. Im warming up to Coleman but the inability to separate scares me. He might do well on a team like the Rams though.

He looked good, without a doubt. The best? That's why scouting is subjective. McConkey is 30lbs lighter than Coleman and 3" shorter. 20lbs lighter than Mitchel and 2" shorter. This matters.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He looked good, without a doubt. The best? That's why scouting is subjective. McConkey is 30lbs lighter than Coleman and 3" shorter. 20lbs lighter than Mitchel and 2" shorter. This matters.
Yeah…you draft McConkey to do different things than Coleman/Mitchell. That is why I try to just compare these guys to players who do similar things. Right now I would say Mitchell>Coleman

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Coleman running a 4.62 matters. How much is the question.
If the Cards double dip at WR in the 1st 3 rounds. Is he an option in round 2/3? Even though I'd guess he's probably a mid 2nd rounder.

Two 4.6 guys (Wilson/Coleman) as our top 3 could be risky. But I do like what Im seeing today.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
If the Cards double dip at WR in the 1st 3 rounds. Is he an option in round 2/3? Even though I'd guess he's probably a mid 2nd rounder.

Two 4.6 guys (Wilson/Coleman) as our top 3 could be risky. But I do like what Im seeing today.

Agreed! This really just comes down to what you're looking for.
We don't have any smooth, bigger burners, so a McConkey/Mitchel would make a lot of sense.
None of these comps may matter since I doubt we double dip at WR anyway.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
If we could somehow get Keon Coleman at 35....we should do a freaking jig on our way up to the podium. He's going to be really good. Imagine trading down with the Giants or Falcons....and ending up with Nabers and Coleman. Our WR room could be incredible

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we could somehow get Keon Coleman at 35....we should do a freaking jig on our way up to the podium. He's going to be really good. Imagine trading down with the Giants or Falcons....and ending up with Nabers and Coleman. Our WR room could be incredible
Why not MHJ/Coleman? Although similar in size MHJ is still a 4.4 guy.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brian Thomas 4.34.... goodbye on him being an option outside the top 20.

I saw an interview where Malik Nabers swears he's faster than him too.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brian Thomas 4.34.... goodbye on him being an option outside the top 20.

I saw an interview where Malik Nabers swears he's faster than him too.
Wait, did you think he was ever gonna be an option after 20?

He has been getting the most hype after the top 3 for months now.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wait, did you think he was ever gonna be an option after 20?

He has been getting the most hype after the top 3 for months now.
Fair. On the mock simulators he's been dropping to Buffalo nearly every time.

I think Bucky Brooks had him going 26 to Tampa just recently.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like Brendan Rice. Pearsall is not getting out of round 2.

And if Penix wasn't so old/injury history he'd be a lock 1st rounder. Just throws the ball different than any QB I've seen today.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its weird, because Michigan didn't ask McCarthy to do much, but in the games I saw, whenever they put the ball in McCarthy's hands, the Michigan offense completely stalled. Making him throw was their kryptonite. Yet apparently scouts love him. It's good for Cardinals if he's a 1st rounder, but I dont understand it.