OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Round 3, No. 66: Trey Benson, RB, FSU

My take: The Cardinals may have just found James Conner's back-up -- and maybe even Conner 2.0. Benson is a big back (6-feet, 216 pounds) and can combine his size with speed. He ran a 4.39-second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine, the third-fastest among running backs. He can handle the brutality of being an every-down back, but with Conner coming off a 1,000-yard season, Benson's best bet to get on the field is on third downs. He has enough pass-pro ability to put him in the third-down back conversation.

Key stat for this player: Of Benson's 1,896 rushing yards during his the last two seasons at the Florida State, 1,137 yards -- or 59.9% -- were outside the tackles. His speed allows him to bounce outside and beat the edge. He averaged 7.7 yards per rush outside the tackles with the Seminoles.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Round 3, No. 66: Trey Benson, RB, FSU

My take: The Cardinals may have just found James Conner's back-up -- and maybe even Conner 2.0. Benson is a big back (6-feet, 216 pounds) and can combine his size with speed. He ran a 4.39-second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine, the third-fastest among running backs. He can handle the brutality of being an every-down back, but with Conner coming off a 1,000-yard season, Benson's best bet to get on the field is on third downs. He has enough pass-pro ability to put him in the third-down back conversation.

Key stat for this player: Of Benson's 1,896 rushing yards during his the last two seasons at the Florida State, 1,137 yards -- or 59.9% -- were outside the tackles. His speed allows him to bounce outside and beat the edge. He averaged 7.7 yards per rush outside the tackles with the Seminoles.

Outside the tackles stat has always been my fave

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s very unfair for me to measure Bensons performance among his contemporaries. My deepest apologies.

You expect Benson to be as good as Barry Sanders and LDT, then?
Yes, because you have convinced me the ypc is crucial stat.

It is the new W/L for QB star

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you never know of course but he had a higher average in college than Conner did.

If you only watch highlights he looks amazing, I watched him a few times last year and posted about it he was the best college RB I saw last year. We have a good scheme running the ball, a good runner at QB to take one defender away, I am excited to see how it all comes out.

I'm still a bit nervous relying on Carter as the backup because we don't really know why he was available, why the Jets cut him? Maybe Saleh is stupid and did a stupid thing, or maybe he had issues that weren't made public and they just gave up and cut him. Don't know but i feel much better now that we will have Benson as well.
I don't know what happened to Carter with the Jets. But the guy is fast and runs hard every time. We saw that on the few carries he had with us.

I really look forward to see our RB position play this year and I have not felt like that in a while.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m much more worried about concerns he piddles behind the LOS. If you’re wasting time there in college, you’re gonna STRUGGLE in the NFL.

James Conner excels at reading his blocks and attacking seams.
Lack of vision is for sure a concern. But watching him play he follows his blocks. Maybe to a fault. So he leaves yards sometimes. But in our offense, if line blocks as effectively as they did last year, just following blocks could lead to some explosive plays with his speed. Conners had some truck sized holes to run through and left yards due to his pedestrian speed. Benson likely picks up 10-30 more yards, or takes it to the house, on those same runs. He’s also good at getting to, and turning the corner. We don’t have e anyone else with that capability.

I love this pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know the general value of backs is down in the recent nfl cycle but recognizing that that only a single back went in the first two rounds and benson being some pundits top back lasting to the third round has me questioning my large amount of enthusiasm for this pick. Was this just a terrible rb crop and I’m just jonesin’ for a back with speed?

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
I know the general value of backs is down in the recent nfl cycle but recognizing that that only a single back went in the first two rounds and benson being some pundits top back lasting to the third round has me questioning my large amount of enthusiasm for this pick. Was this just a terrible rb crop and I’m just jonesin’ for a back with speed?
I don't think it that it was because this year's crop of RBs was bad. Just there was an over abundance of high quality WRs in this draft that caused them to drop.

Granted there wasn't any high end RB's in this class like Bijan Robinson like last year.

But I think this year's crop of RB's will be serviceable. In my opinion Benson is going to be a very good backup for Conner this season and eventually be the starter.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It was a terrible QB crop. Doesn’t mean Warhammer won’t work out; Trey McBride was the best of a bad TE class three years ago.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a terrible QB crop. Doesn’t mean Warhammer won’t work out; Trey McBride was the best of a bad TE class three years ago.
Can someone remind me of the last good running back prospect? I can’t remember any for a long time with this dumb team

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can someone remind me of the last good running back prospect? I can’t remember any for a long time with this dumb team

David Johnson turned out pretty good. We had a nice little run of drafted guys before him with Andre Ellington, Ryan Williams, and others.

Stepfan Taylor was a legitimate stud and one of the best RBs in Cardinals history, of course.

Who was TJ Logan? Literally have no memory of that guy.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Johnson turned out pretty good. We had a nice little run of drafted guys before him with Andre Ellington, Ryan Williams, and others.

Stepfan Taylor was a legitimate stud and one of the best RBs in Cardinals history, of course.

Who was TJ Logan? Literally have no memory of that guy.
Omg what a bunch of Marcel Shipps. David Johnson for 2 years?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison