2024 2nd round pick #43 is Max Melton CB

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conspiracy theory time!

Maybe we wanted a Kris Jenkins type and targeted Melton at 66, but the run of CBs made Monti get nervous.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Are you going to actually debate my argument or me as a person?

No team does what you said. It's just not a thing. The Cardinals very likely had ten players closely graded, so they traded down.

Belichick said as much last night on the Pat McAfee broadcast, he said they make trades down if they have a bunch of players lumped with similar scores, they just make sure they don't trade so far down that they miss out. He said they only trade if it makes sense and there is no significant separation in talent from where they originally pick and where they are moving down to.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Belichick said as much last night on the Pat McAfee broadcast, he said they make trades down if they have a bunch of players lumped with similar scores, they just make sure they don't trade so far down that they miss out. He said they only trade if it makes sense and there is no significant separation in talent from where they originally pick and where they are moving down to.
Except this is black and white and nothing is black and white in the draft. If it were all so perfectly simple, no GMs would get schooled or screw up trades.

Stout

Reaction score
You'll like him soon enough.

Bro, Lassiter went a pick before him and is slower than you and me.

Melton has an insane 40 inch vertical. 4.39 40.

Measureables and food tape.
I'm not arguing against Melton as a prospect. I'm arguing against the trade back and not getting one of the available CBs when we should have picked.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Except this is black and white and nothing is black and white in the draft. If it were all so perfectly simple, no GMs would get schooled or screw up trades.

Except this is exactly how Belichick said he operated.

The difference is that different teams/scouting departments score players differently for a variety of reasons. Time only tells who made the right decision.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm not arguing against Melton as a prospect. I'm arguing against the trade back and not getting one of the available CBs when we should have picked.
My guess would be that they liked Melton more than those guys and knew they could trade back and get him. Worst case he was simply a part of a group of players that they graded out similarly. He was mostly mocked to go around the top of the 3rd round so they probably wouldn't need to take him at 43 unless they liked him a lot.

Stout

Reaction score
My guess would be that they liked Melton more than those guys and knew they could trade back and get him. Worst case he was simply a part of a group of players that they graded out similarly. He was mostly mocked to go around the top of the 3rd round so they probably wouldn't need to take him at 43 unless they liked him a lot.
My guess is they liked the others better but figured if they didn't get lucky, they could live with Melton.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Belicheck is not a GM to model one's drafting after. He was horrendous.

Not early in his Patriots tenure. Once he started picking in the late 20's every year because he was winning multiple Super Bowls his drafting suffered for sure.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
The Patriots drafts have been horrible so that’s not really comforting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn