2024 1st round pick #27 is Darius Robinson Edge

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah but Chris Simms positions ranking are whack. He had Brian Thomas and Nabers as better than MHJ in his WR rankings.
That is weird, but I was pointing out video positioning, not ranking positioning. Everyone is looking for Robinson info, if we draft Newton, don't overlook he has his take on him on that same video a couple of spots back. Most who watch it might not notice that.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except for the fact that he was projected to go first round by most mock drafts. He was even projected to us at 27 in one of the NFL.com mock drafts yesterday morning. You can feel free to not like the pick, but suggesting it's a reach is well, a reach.
100% on this.

Calling it a reach is lazy

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The run stuff is BS. Newton has the 2nd highest PFF run defense grade in 2022 with 91.9.

He's 20lbs heavier than Robinson and can rush the passer inside.

I much prefer Newton to Cancey last year and I like Cancey. And Cancey went #19.
You must be registered for see images attach

Where are you getting 91? I have a subscription (military discount ftw) so I can use their mock draft simulator.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Chandler was 255 though. 265 max when we moved to a 4-3 under Wilkes.
Similar. CJ got as big as 280 in his career when he was a true 4-3 DE.
Robinson seems like a good dude but this team needs immediate impact players.
Eh this draft is very light on defensive playmakers. There is a reason so many offensive players went round one, they were just better players

Once Murphy, Turner, Latu, and to a lesser extent Verse, were gone, I'd argue the next tier have a bit more warts.
Robinson feel like a guy that's going to need a year or two to have any impact. Both Newton and DeJean would have had bigger immediate impacts in my opinion.
I don't know if Newton is as good a scheme fit.. I'd wager that was the biggest reason they took Robinson was that he fit a particular role they were specifically looking for. Newton would be fighting for snaps with Justin Jones, but there is no one like Robinson on the roster.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is more DT than DE but that is semantics. His physical comps are Cam Jordan/Arik Armstead/DeForest Buckner. He isn't a Verse/Turner/Chop edge player.

I see him as primarily a 3-4 DE when they are not in nickel. When they are in nickel and line up with a 5 man front then you can call him a DT. But like you say semantics.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Solid fundamentally" is the football version of "Good personality".

It's what fans say when trying to convince themselves a new player is actually good.

I don't see Robinson having the immediate impact either Newton or DeJean could have, and I'd rather have the 5th year option on one of them as I think both have higher ceilings. You can easily argue Robinson would be there at #35 had we taken Newton or DeJean.

I hear that injury concerns are why Newton fell out of the first round.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this pick more the deeper I dig into it.

Break out your rotten tomatoes Cards fans.....ready,...aaaiiim....

Robinson is a poor mans JJ Watt

FIRE!!

This is basically what Krang is saying. I don't see it but I have been wrong many times.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just watched some non highlight film on robinson

dude looks like a bigger stronger faster marcus golden - except he smells and plays the run better - looks like a gannon eagles type edge to me :shrug:

This comparison might be legit.

I do agree he has a very high floor and is really unlikely to bust.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I just like that he appears to be a big nerd for his position. He already treats football like a full time gig that doesn't turn off when he goes home. Can't force a guy to study film as much as he does willingly. I suspect if he stays healthy he will be at worst a solid starter for a long time.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
He doesn't remind of Markus Golden AT ALL

weird
my comparison was a bit flippant

but:

both from Missouri
both win from power and hustle

rather than

speed and athleticism

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This is basically what Krang is saying. I don't see it but I have been wrong many times.
its always sketchy comparing a draftee to a HoF player.
Last season in college Watt had like 68 tkl 21 TFL 7 sacks
Robinson had like 44 tkl 14 TFL and 8 sacks
similar...but Robinson played against tougher competition.

6'5 300 pounds...power to speed....

the only real difference is it seems like JJ's arms were about 2 feet longer when he got behind the LoS...I think JJ was stronger but much of that could be 280 Vs 320...which can be changed with decent trainers
then of course there is technique... not saying the kid is canton bound,...just that he could develop into a major force and be a cornerstone for a long time. he seems to have the right mental makeup

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mods can someone freeze K9's account, he seems to have been hacked.

He normally spends all him time moaning about how we only got X number of wins, how the roster sucks and how we need to improve and win more games.

Whoever hacked him seems to be suggesting next season is lost, we don;t need more wins and the team doesn't need immediate impact starters out of round 1.

Hey this isn't necessary.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
just watched some non highlight film on robinson

dude looks like a bigger stronger faster marcus golden - except he smells and plays the run better - looks like a gannon eagles type edge to me :shrug:

That's the thing that gives me hope for player like Robinson BGT! He has a HC who knows what he's doing on defense!

Isaiah Simmons got coached right into the ground by Vance Joseph and company. It was awful to watch!

But I'm legit excited to see what JG/NR can do with a guy like Robinson!