2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is there a way to sign a minimizing deal to extend him at the max next offseason? NBA salary rules are a bit confusing on some of these things. I just remember Colangelo did some lower deals in the past with a handshake agreement to take care of the player later. Maybe I’m remembering wrong.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL do you honestly think we'll get Kyrie Irving at the minimum??
Probably not, but I do think there is like a 30% chance.

He knows all we can pay him is the minimum and he still wants to meet. Why waste his time if there is no chance?

If you are Mark Cuban are you really going to up your offer over this, if he is willing to leave for the minimum instead of 30 million or whatever then you don't really want that guy because he is obviously not happy.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
From AZ Sports: "According to a well-placed source, the Irving rumors are simply not true. There is no possible match and no free agent visit on the horizon. It is a ridiculous notion detached from all current realities, a leverage play from Irving’s camp and nothing more."

Is this source @Germz249?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From AZ Sports: "According to a well-placed source, the Irving rumors are simply not true. There is no possible match and no free agent visit on the horizon. It is a ridiculous notion detached from all current realities, a leverage play from Irving’s camp and nothing more."

Is this source @Germz249?
James Jones did not act like it was false when he was asked about it this morning.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
James Jones did not act like it was false when he was asked about it this morning.
I just rewatched it. He didn't say it was happening and he didn't say it wasn't happening. Nebulous "It's an internal matter and we will be talking with lots of great players, yada yada."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a chance in Hades that Kyrie actually ends up signing here for the minimum. But I have to give the Suns credit for publicly entertaining the idea. I think it is rather brilliant from the perspective that it sends the message the ownership is all in on just about any move to improve the team, no matter how outlandish it might be.

Something like this, coupled with the Durant and Beal trades, is going to go a long way towards rehabbing the franchise's old image throughout the league as being cheap and carelessly run with respect to winning. That could pay big dividends in the future with trying to attract talent here.
that's a good point, I hadn't considered.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to sign a minimizing deal to extend him at the max next offseason? NBA salary rules are a bit confusing on some of these things. I just remember Colangelo did some lower deals in the past with a handshake agreement to take care of the player later. Maybe I’m remembering wrong.
NBA killed those type of deals after Colangelo used them back to back seasons to pluck the best FA off the market, giving AC Green and then Danny Manning one year, one million dollar wink wink deals to get their Bird Rights to be followed up by longer-term big money deals the following season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are not going to meet with Kyrie Irving.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. After July 1st we can't do sign and trades if my understanding is correct.

As I understand it, the Suns can't trade Ayton with other Suns players under the new rules.

However, they can trade Ayton for multiple players in return.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Tomorrow my guess is we sign guys we have come to terms with from last year on our squad. Barring a big surprise, I don't see us being that active. I think we wait and see who doesn't get the MLE's and other exceptions that now have to look for vet min deals. Then we try and get the best we can. Unless some crazy dude like a Kyrie or Westbrook want to do a minimum deal, it's possible, but the probability is probably near zero! LOL!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just rewatched it. He didn't say it was happening and he didn't say it wasn't happening. Nebulous "It's an internal matter and we will be talking with lots of great players, yada yada."

This is so much fun! I think few in the media really understand the new CBA rules.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I understand it, the Suns can't trade Ayton with other Suns players under the new rules.

However, they can trade Ayton for multiple players in return.
They are prohibited from doing sign and trades though.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tomorrow my guess is we sign guys we have come to terms with from last year on our squad. Barring a big surprise, I don't see us being that active. I think we wait and see who doesn't get the MLE's and other exceptions that now have to look for vet min deals. Then we try and get the best we can. Unless some crazy dude like a Kyrie or Westbrook want to do a minimum deal, it's possible, but the probability is probably near zero! LOL!
Well yeah, I doubt it too. Most guys will wait to see if they can get more than the minimum before signing with us.

I am hoping we get Landale and Craig signed tomorrow though.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns did pick up Cam Payne's contract if it already wasn't mentioned.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Number of guys on the squad inching up. I read his contract on one of the sites like Sporttrac, etc. It was basically in effect if the Suns did nothing. Nice touch to announce they are doing it before tomorrow!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard