2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
CP3 went on a heater from 3 during the regular season and some got excited that he could do it on the playoffs:

CP3 was 3P% in the postseason as a Sun:
21’ - 44%
22’ - 39%
23’ - 32% (42% from the field)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's funny, when we gave CP3 his extension, the feeling was, how do we keep him? Now, just a few seasons later, it's how do we get rid of him?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's funny, when we gave CP3 his extension, the feeling was, how do we keep him? Now, just a few seasons later, it's how do we get rid of him?
I think that’s basically always the front-end/back/end story with extensions for old guys.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team that trades for CP3 is guaranteeing him $30m on arrival regardless of the 6/28 deadline. However if the Suns trade him before 6/28 they’re only accounting for $15ish mil coming back. There’s just no way a team is taking that on and only sending back half the salary. I do think the Suns can fully guarantee his salary and take back $30m during the draft.

The part that befuddles me, if Chris Paul can be waived before June 28 and only $15 million is guaranteed, a team that trades for Paul before or during the draft, should have the right to waive him and save $15 million before the guarantee date.

The draft is June 22nd.

In other words, could the Suns take back $30 million in trade before June 28th and the receiving team only has to pay him $15 million if they waive him. It would seem like a team near the tax apron might be interested.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think both Paul and the Suns took this into account with a user-friendly contract. James Jones should have an exit plan already prepared.

Maybe Paul gets traded, the receiving team waives him and the Suns sign him back. However, I thought there was a rule that prohibits this.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think both Paul and the Suns took this into account with a user-friendly contract. James Jones should have an exit plan already prepared.

Maybe Paul gets traded, the receiving team waives him and the Suns sign him back. However, I thought there was a rule that prohibits this.
There is, or at least there was. And I'd be surprised if that's changed but the new CBA surprised the heck out of me so who knows.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
CP3 went on a heater from 3 during the regular season and some got excited that he could do it on the playoffs:

CP3 was 3P% in the postseason as a Sun:
21’ - 44%
22’ - 39%
23’ - 32% (42% from the field)
He's no longer used to create on offense, so you're basically paying 30M for an undersized, unreliable 3 pt shooter to create space and make wide open 3's.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's no longer used to create on offense, so you're basically paying 30M for an undersized, unreliable 3 pt shooter to create space and make wide open 3's.
Not true, we're also paying him to be exploited by just about every other point guard not to mention clashing with coaches and teammates. He might need a raise.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is, or at least there was. And I'd be surprised if that's changed but the new CBA surprised the heck out of me so who knows.

I don't think the new CBA changed this rule, either.

Hopefully there is a plan in place for all this madness but Paul should know the rules as good as anyone having formerly been the NBA players representative.

Please tell me everyone is wearing parachutes.

James Jones should have thought this through before trading for Durant.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the new CBA changed this rule, either.

Hopefully there is a plan in place for all this madness but Paul should know the rules as good as anyone having formerly been the NBA players representative.

Please tell me everyone is wearing parachutes.

James Jones should have thought this through before trading for Durant.
I'm hoping whoever truly made this decision is ignored from now on if they are outside the management circle, or fired if they are employed by the Suns, or have learned from their stupidity if they happen to own the franchise.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The part that befuddles me, if Chris Paul can be waived before June 28 and only $15 million is guaranteed, a team that trades for Paul before or during the draft, should have the right to waive him and save $15 million before the guarantee date.

The draft is June 22nd.

In other words, could the Suns take back $30 million in trade before June 28th and the receiving team only has to pay him $15 million if they waive him. It would seem like a team near the tax apron might be interested.
The receiving team is on the hook for $30m regardless of the guarantee deadline.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The receiving team is on the hook for $30m regardless of the guarantee deadline.

The Suns can waive Chris Paul before June 28th and only owe him $15,800,000.

However, if another team trades for him, they can't do the same before the guarantee date?

Wouldn't there have to be a trade clause to prohibit it. I haven't seen one.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

However, if another team trades for him, they can't do the same before the guarantee date?

Does paying him 15.8 vs. 30 have any impact on our ability to sign additional players outside of the min? If not, then I'm not sure materially how much a move like this helps.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does paying him 15.8 vs. 30 have any impact on our ability to sign additional players outside of the min? If not, then I'm not sure materially how much a move like this helps.
Yeah I don't get it, people talking exceptions or all the things we can do if we just move CP3 (or Ayton). We seem to be pretty limited right now. I'm clueless about this CBA but on the surface, we appear to have very few options.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah I don't get it, people talking exceptions or all the things we can do if we just move CP3 (or Ayton). We seem to be pretty limited right now. I'm clueless about this CBA but on the surface, we appear to have very few options.
I "believe" that we need to waive and stretch CP to get under an amount that would allow us to pay a MLE or some non-minimum deals, although it would be useful to have a single document for us all to refer to in cap related matters!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Only guaranteed salary is counted in a trade so if a team sends us $30 million in players, it would guarantee CP3's contract for next year. He'd only count as $15m in a trade before the guarantee date. I'm not even sure a trade can be made official before the guarantee date. I know a link was posted once before but with the new CBA and how deals generally work, nothing is made official until the new league year kicks in after the Moratorium.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I "believe" that we need to waive and stretch CP to get under an amount that would allow us to pay a MLE or some non-minimum deals, although it would be useful to have a single document for us all to refer to in cap related matters!
Yeah that's what I figure. It helps us a little but it probably hurts us even more. . We'd have the MLE but that isn't even enough money to buy a CP3 level player to replace the CP3 we're giving up.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I figure. It helps us a little but it probably hurts us even more. . We'd have the MLE but that isn't even enough money to buy a CP3 level player to replace the CP3 we're giving up.

This seems about as good a breakdown as we hope at this point. It's looking like some creativity will be required to make serious changes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only guaranteed salary is counted in a trade so if a team sends us $30 million in players, it would guarantee CP3's contract for next year. He'd only count as $15m in a trade before the guarantee date. I'm not even sure a trade can be made official before the guarantee date. I know a link was posted once before but with the new CBA and how deals generally work, nothing is made official until the new league year kicks in after the Moratorium.

If guaranteed salary only counts, it wouldn't work.

Yeah, I was exploring the idea of the Suns trading Chris Paul for players, worth $30 million in salary. Then the other team would waive him before June 28th and save $15 million. This would have given the other team incentive to trade for him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It’s impossible to say whether the Suns should waive or stretch CP3 until we see any potential trade packages or players available and willing to sign for the MLE and BAE. Given the fact his guarantee deadline is before FA it’s kind of a mess of a situation. Maybe they’ve been back channeling/careful tampering…

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that, even when healthy, Paul is the greatest playoff choke artist of all time.
Yup.

I love the two seasons he gave us that brought us to the top of the league, especially during a really hard time personally, giving me a great escape most nights of those seasons. But that doesn’t make me blind to the warts that have kept him ringless for almost two decades.

Any plan that revolves around CP3 is a plan to fail.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All they have to do is make their permanent uni’s going forward anything from the top row. Easiest decision in the history of mankind.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yup.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
All they have to do is make their permanent uni’s going forward anything from the top row. Easiest decision in the history of mankind.
Yeah, but I'm also partial to the 2 black ones at the end of the last row. I also would like the Turquoise more if they had Phoenix or Suns in navajo lettering or something -- better than the sunburst at least.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't have access to Photoshop right now but I imagine someone could do a decent blend of the original western font with the sunburst. That would be ideal. Hopefully Ish has some guys working on updating things to signal the new direction of the Suns.