2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Getting ready for work right now, will post player/coach contract deals later if nobody else has

Not sure about any of the financial apron stuff but CP3 and Ayton gotta go - for starters - and I think James Jones is as good as gone as well

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Okay, it's officially here. Where does this team go from here?

Issues to address:
Ayton Situation
CP3 Contract
Possible GM & Coaching Change

Needs:
Possibly 2 starters (C & PG)
Upgrade bench

Available:
Minimum and MLE deals

No draft picks
just posted a very similar thread lol i think you got me by a minute or two

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Because of Paul's buyout, he could be attractive to a team trying to unload salary. He's basically an instant-expiring contract. So Thomas should be looking for teams who aren't really going anywhere and have some contracts they'd like to get out from under. For example, Paul could be traded to the Pistons for Bojan Bogdanovic and Alec Burks -- which isn't a great deal necessarily, but something like that.

Maybe the Pacers still want Ayton. Turner, McConnell, and a pick.

Those are the only trade assets the Suns have. Ayton's trade value is slightly positive and Paul's is slightly negative, but if the Suns are willing to take back contract-negative players in return, they can add talent to the roster.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
A few targets I would be on ASAP. The new CBA killed the Hawks. here is an example. "Dejounte Murray, for instance. He will make just $17.7 million next season, the final year of his current deal. A 40% bump wouldn't even take him to $25 million. We can't accurately project his max in 2024 without knowing where the cap will fall, but at a bare minimum, it's going to exceed $40 million. It still doesn't make sense for him to extend, and that's a major blow to the Hawks."

This could be a perfect spot for Ayton (he is gone, he will announce a trade desire today, so yes screw you who ever crapped on me for calling him Robert K loser), if we have to take Collins that's fine. DEI James Jones is high as **** on purple drank but Ishbia needs to move fast and reorganize this leadership group. Murray would be perfect for this team, he is a big point and can penetrate. As much as you all don't like IT, he is better than James Jones. He understands point guards not below average shooters matter.

Also, someone will take Paul, they just will. Don't forget there are Arizona Cardinal like organizations out there that will see Paul as a nice addition just to stay around the 90% cap min. Think Emmitt Smith. Paul is old and won't ever be healthy for the playoffs, collecting 30 million for what he is going into his 38 year old and 39 year old year is just dumb James Jones roster management.

On defense, I'd go hard for Dillon Brooks witht he mid level, I don't care if he is a jerk, he is a great defensive player adds toughness and a little crazy that we need, I have had enough of pray before every meal Shamet types, those guys are too soft, and we need an enforcer. I think he goes cheap this year.

We also need to find a few sharp shooters, the new CBA kind of screws a lot of the players as it creates those massive aprons.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
CP3 ain't going to be making $30M+ playing for PHX next year. The question is will PHX get a offer for Ayton that helps them. If its a bunch of scrubs and bad contracts, Ishbia may just decide to hold on to him and until he hopefully increases his trade value.

I know players like Monty but Budenholzer and Nurse are available and have that championship on their resumes.

Not sure how Ishbia feels about Jones. Does he want to bring in his own GM or does he have confidence that Jones can right the ship?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Because of Paul's buyout, he could be attractive to a team trying to unload salary. He's basically an instant-expiring contract. So Thomas should be looking for teams who aren't really going anywhere and have some contracts they'd like to get out from under. For example, Paul could be traded to the Pistons for Bojan Bogdanovic and Alec Burks -- which isn't a great deal necessarily, but something like that.

Those are the only trade assets the Suns have. Ayton's trade value is slightly positive and Paul's is slightly negative, but if the Suns are willing to take back contract-negative players in return, they can add talent to the roster.
Agree 100%. But you and I both know that the NBA does not exist in a bubble, teams have issues and players they may want to move. Check out how screwed Atl is with Murray. Do you just let him walk next year? They can't sign him.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

Turner got extended and he played really well, I think Indiana has done a 180, I'd look at teams that are close but can't get to the second round.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In 8 games against the Mavs and Nuggets average margin of victory for them 19 points

We need a complete culture change

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just heard the tail end of a comment by local sports radio that CP3 has indicated he is ready to move on? Wait wut? Anybody else listening? Where they just speculating? I didn't hear the entire segment. I can't find anything about it online anywhere like Ayton being put on the block.

Reaction score
Okay, it's officially here. Where does this team go from here?

Issues to address:
Ayton Situation
CP3 Contract
Possible GM & Coaching Change

Needs:
Possibly 2 starters (C & PG)
Upgrade bench

Available:
Minimum and MLE deals

No draft picks
Surveying the news stories: 1) Both Ayton and CP3 will be "aggressively shopped" in the offseason; 2) more than a few calls for Monty Williams' job. 3: consensus is Suns will totally rebuild around Book/KD. The whole bench needs to go except Londale, who played his heart out every time he went in.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Chris Paul odds just came out.
Surveying the news stories: 1) Both Ayton and CP3 will be "aggressively shopped" in the offseason; 2) more than a few calls for Monty Williams' job. 3: consensus is Suns will totally rebuild around Book/KD. The whole bench needs to go except Londale, who played his heart out every time he went in.
The Suns need to get CP3 out by the July the NBA new year, I think it gets done, this is when all these changes take effect with he second apron. Payne, you save about 6M buy buying him out, Suns can find a back up.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
"As disappointing as this series was for Deandre Ayton and as awkward as this has been for the last couple years with him, I think there will be significant interest on the trade market this summer," said Tim MacMahon. "He's a 24-year-old former No. 1 overall pick who averaged 18 and 10 this year."

"And he's on the fun max," said Brian Windhorst, referencing how Ayton's max is for 25 percent of the cap coming off his rookie contract.

The fun max is the straight up max, this is an advantage. He still is 24 he still will have value, even you are down on him. We will get players for him, think about how other teams are trying to improve, not just the Suns.

Kind of like the Cardinals were trying to trade Nuk and teams were lowballing them and they said see you ******* when injuries start happening. The current state of the NBA is not the current state moving forward.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He might make it until the end of the Finals, but I doubt it. He's definitely gone, so the question is how long Ishbia will let him dangle.
What is interesting is that usually stuff like this doesn't leak out unless it's from the front office. That would seemingly indicate James Jones is all for this and likely has the support of Isbia. Maybe James Jones isn't going anywhere. Monty might though.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'm ready to move on from Ayton, CP3 and Monty. Some good seasons and great memories, but all in all folded when it mattered. Need a rebuild around Booker and Durant with a new coach and a GM who is a bit more aware of team weaknesses. JJ never got us help at PG or inside.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
He might make it until the end of the Finals, but I doubt it. He's definitely gone, so the question is how long Ishbia will let him dangle.
Agree, I think it happens fast. Ishbia, is probably having conversations with his circle right now on coaches who can handle stars. I like Monty, he is a nice religious man, he speaks well, but he is not a coach that can handle super stars, he will land a gig fast probably in some **** franchise in the East.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everything about the teams situation depresses me.

In a lot of ways the Suns are in the same situation as the Lakers were last offseason. That is horrible.

Somehow we have to get something of value out of CP3 and Ayton, and that does not at all seem like it will be an easy task, especially since teams know we are desperate to move them.

I want to be optimistic, but I'm just not.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Everything about the teams situation depresses me.

In a lot of ways the Suns are in the same situation as the Lakers were last offseason. That is horrible.

Somehow we have to get something of value out of CP3 and Ayton, and that does not at all seem like it will be an easy task, especially since teams know we are desperate to move them.

I want to be optimistic, but I'm just not.
If we were able to parlay our roster dreck into useful role players ala the Lakers that would be a huge win. Our other means of improvement are limited.

More than anything, this group is stale. Guys openly want out. This isn't a group that's fighting on the cusp, it's a group that fighting within, with multiple guys not wanting to be here. Time to get our little general (CP) out, time to dump Ayton and his lazy ass attitude, and time to thank Monty for his service, but get a different voice in the room.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I'm ready to move on from Ayton, CP3 and Monty. Some good seasons and great memories, but all in all folded when it mattered. Need a rebuild around Booker and Durant with a new coach and a GM who is a bit more aware of team weaknesses. JJ never got us help at PG or inside.
JJ is gone too, maybe not this year. But Owner do not want the previous owner's person to run ****. Plus, being a CEO, I am almost positive he has a kitchen cabinet evaluating James Jones.

Pro - James Jones is black and it helps the NBA
Pro - James Jones is Lebron's friend, so any firing will unleash Lebron's wrath
Pro - James Jones did draft Mikal
Pro - Good pick in Cam Johnson

Con - To make Sarver happy Jones said he would only scout using you tube and video, lol.
Con - James Jones drafted Jalen Smith at 10 when Haliburton was there and it wasn't like he was unknown.
Con - Jones declined Smith's post second year cap hold, almost unheard of, forcing him in a weak position
Con - Jones watching youtube sent the 26th pick to the Nets for Shamet and signed him immediately to a 4 year deal worth 40 plus million.
Con - Jones traded 2 assets for Torrey Criag (which isn't bad in itself) what's horrible is he was our free agent and while Jones was not paying attention Criag signed with Indiana.
Con - Jones then traded a lottery pick in Smith for Criag their own free agent. I mean that's really dumb.
Con - Jones continued to not have a back up plan for Paul, even though Paul was aging, he just didn't care
Con - Jones let Crowder get personal, instead of saying we will trade you, just play hard and we will find you a spot at the deadline, Jones the vindictive bat looking MF told him to stay home, killing his value.
Con - JOnes holding Crowder in purgatory doesn't make a trade and after sending the entire team to Brooklyn for Durant, they say Crowder too. This bro doesn't understand leverage.
Con - Does anyone trust Jones to get a point guard? lol, I bet SHamet runs point with this ass next year.

These things do not go unnoticed by new owners, hell even Sarver took Jerry's power away, Jones might be safe because Monty has to go and you need a black person in the front office but I expect his power to be almost nothing.

James Jones is a bad GM. He has made too many mistakes, isn't horrible like RMD or Babby or Blanks, but just not being dysfunctional, Robert's friend or suicidal doesn't make you the right person to make critical decisions while KD may have one to two years left.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose