2023 NBA Playoffs - Other Teams

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what TNT said in the postgame highlights not only a goaltend but a T for grabbing the rim.

I guess we'll see but I can't recall the last time I saw that called.

I have memory issues with my desktop so I can't screenshot it but I'm convinced Horford fouled Butler at 2.8, but the refs reviewed it and they apparently felt the contact with the right hand was the foul but that was actually before 3 and he wasn't shooting when that started so it should have been 2 shots.

They must have ruled Bam hung on the rim but more like a touch.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They must have ruled Bam hung on the rim but more like a touch.

Yeah that one is way outside of 2 minutes so it won't be in the 2 minute game review but I'm amazed if that was a T. I assumed he said something and got a T but TNT has said twice he got a T for grabbing the rim. Earlier in the 4th quarter Horford did the same thing on a Butler shot but the ball went in and the refs not only didn't call a T, they didn't call goaltending because the shot went in.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the refs are saying the foul is Horford's right hand but if that's what they ruled then it's not a shooting foul it's just a foul on the floor. i think Miami is in the bonus so 2 shots not 3. That they gave him 3 shots says it's a shooting foul and that's at 2.8 not 3.

There's a ton of stuff on it on twitter and basically everyone is saying the same thing where did they get 3 seconds. Kenny Smith is talking about it right now and he says the clock we're seeing on the replay is NOT the official clock so he's assuming the official clock showed 3 not less.

That wouldn't have been a shooting foul if it was Horford's right hand. I see 2.8 on the clock as well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's still a weak hanging on the rim call on Bam, more like an inadvertent touch.

it's the biggest call of the game because it's a 4 point play. Lowry fouled on the shot so the goaltend, correct call makes it 2 points plus the FT for the foul on Lowry. But calling the T gave them another FT and they made that too so 4 point play. Absolutely huge.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Well, Sir Chucky says the pressure is all on Boston. I don't know. Maybe the pressure is on Miami since they will be the first team to lose the conference championship after winning the 1st 3? And the Heat took the first 2 in Boston. Seems the pressure should be on both teams.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, Sir Chucky says the pressure is all on Boston. I don't know. Maybe the pressure is on Miami since they will be the first team to lose the conference championship after winning the 1st 3? And the Heat took the first 2 in Boston. Seems the pressure should be on both teams.

I agree with Chuck. Miami is an 8th seed playing out of their minds. A loss is almost expected. They've been counted out since the playoffs started. Now they're hobbled as well. No one in Miami will lose their job after a loss.

Theres pressure on Boston. They're the higher seed, they have home court. They're on the verge of history now too. Can their guys get it together? They had to luck into a W in game 6 already.

One thing is certain, this will be a great game to watch.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of the more wild playoff games in recent memory.

Boston, again, with terrible game management down the stretch, they won in-spite of themselves. Why do they play so damn slow when they have the lead? I swear, they get into the 4th and unless it's a blow out, they play the slowest offense imaginable and end up settling for horrific shots as the clock winds down.

I wanted Miami to win, but I hated that 3pt ruling for Butler at the end... he lost control of the ball, he was flailing, that can hardly be called a shot attempt, I get calling Horford for the the foul, but it should be like the "swipe" foul, non shooting, Miami is in the bonus, Butler has a chance to tie. That being a 3 point call was a bit much. That said... Boston benefited from some awful calls in the final few minutes so, whatever.

I couldn't help but think of Ayton when watching Bam tonight. Ayton can do everything positive thing Bam did tonight... Bam also showed that he cannot do a TON of stuff that Ayton makes look easy, Boston dared him to shoot from anywhere beyond 2 feet, and Bam went for it repeatedly a whiffed. The difference is that Bam tries hard, the tries hard all the time and Bam isn't afraid to make a mistake here and there. Ayton does not consistently try hard and Ayton is terrified to screw up.

Boston's wild run in these playoffs reminds me of the Suns run in 2006. An insane roller coaster, filled with jubilation or heartbreak every other night.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched a discussion of the end on ESPN this morning and they all agreed the 2 minute report is going to be fascinating.

They had Jalen Rose on tape and he said the one we're all forgetting is the T on Bam, if that was for the grab of the rim that's just a bad call.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the way the Heat came back in the game, I wanted them to win. It was almost anti-climatic when White put in the rebound.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the way the Heat came back in the game, I wanted them to win. It was almost anti-climatic when White put in the rebound.
I was hoping both teams would lose, oh man was I disappointed. OTOH, although it was poorly played and poorly officiated, it was a highly entertaining game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Chuck. Miami is an 8th seed playing out of their minds. A loss is almost expected. They've been counted out since the playoffs started. Now they're hobbled as well. No one in Miami will lose their job after a loss.

Theres pressure on Boston. They're the higher seed, they have home court. They're on the verge of history now too. Can their guys get it together? They had to luck into a W in game 6 already.

One thing is certain, this will be a great game to watch.
To me, if the game gets tight late, the pressure is on Boston. But not until then. Whether it's pressure or not though, for much of the game Miami is going to have to battle through a lot of negative emotions for the way they lost not to mention blowing a 3 game lead.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping both teams would lose, oh man was I disappointed. OTOH, although it was poorly played and poorly officiated, it was a highly entertaining game.

I tried not to get caught up in the game but the loss was so Suns-like. It seemed surreal when White put in that last split second shot.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's the goaltend yes but a T is supposed to be hanging on the rim not grabbing it? I see grabbing not get called all the time.
No. It's only hanging on the rim when you are the offensive player--basically on a dunk. You can never grab the rim as a defender while the ball is in play. The reasoning is that grabbing the rim makes it vibrate and interferes with shots going in. It's a no-brainer and a correct call.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is this not a hooking foul before the shot attempt and yet the referees count the basket after the Heat asked for the review.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. It's only hanging on the rim when you are the offensive player--basically on a dunk. You can never grab the rim as a defender while the ball is in play. The reasoning is that grabbing the rim makes it vibrate and interferes with shots going in. It's a no-brainer and a correct call.

Right but again that's a goaltend. As you said it vibrates. How often do you see that called a T though? I can't recall the last time. Earlier in the same game Robert Williams tried to block a shot, was under the basket and grabbed the rim, the shot went in they didn't even call a goaltend(because it went in) but certainly didn't call a T.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is this not a hooking foul before the shot attempt and yet the referees count the basket after the Heat asked for the review.

My understanding of the rules, the refs did the right thing on the review. They called a foul, Miami challenged the call and the refs overturned their call in review. So, no free throw but the basket was always going to count. That review doesn't give the refs the right to call anything other than a foul on the shot or no foul, what occurred prior to the initial foul call is history and not reviewable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding of the rules, the refs did the right thing on the review. They called a foul, Miami challenged the call and the refs overturned their call in review. So, no free throw but the basket was always going to count. That review doesn't give the refs the right to call anything other than a foul on the shot or no foul, what occurred prior to the initial foul call is history and not reviewable.

It's amazing to me when a play is challenged by a team, the referees are not allowed to rule on the entire play.

IMO, Jaylen Brown committed a foul to make the basket so it should not count.

A player can score all day if they are allowed to hook an opponent.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA 2 minutes report says they missed a lane violation on Miami on a missed Brown ft, and missed a foul on Vincent on a drive by Tatum. Said the foul on Horford was correct, there was no double dribble, and they said the foul happened at 3 seconds so they're saying the call was correct.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave