2023 2nd round #41 pick is BJ Ojulari LB

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh huh, 'cause that was my point :sarcasm:
Then why bring it up? Having a player so good that he signs a second contract is a good thing. If we don't re-sign him after he shows enough production to earn one is a positive. If he doesn't re-sign and we aren't in line for a slew of compensation picks, than it is on the GM.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Then why bring it up? Having a player so good that he signs a second contract is a good thing. If we don't re-sign him after he shows enough production to earn one is a positive. If he doesn't re-sign and we aren't in line for a slew of compensation picks, than it is on the GM.
Your viewpoint leaves zero room for nuance. It can be true that you draft a player who isn't ready and you waste a rookie contract developing them. Not getting enough out of the player for 2 or 3 years before they explode is suboptimal. The whole point of a rookie contract is to get solid production for low/limited cost. What people are projecting--and stating that they're fine with getting from Ojulari--is suboptimal. Granted it's all just projections right now, so I very much hope he develops much better and much faster than his age and posters here thinks. Otherwise, the Cards are screwed at edge.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your viewpoint leaves zero room for nuance. It can be true that you draft a player who isn't ready and you waste a rookie contract developing them. Not getting enough out of the player for 2 or 3 years before they explode is suboptimal. The whole point of a rookie contract is to get solid production for low/limited cost. What people are projecting--and stating that they're fine with getting from Ojulari--is suboptimal. Granted it's all just projections right now, so I very much hope he develops much better and much faster than his age and posters here thinks. Otherwise, the Cards are screwed at edge.
Of course it is. Except that even the best teams miss on draft picks, multitudes more than hitting. It happens almost every year. If you can get a player good enough to earn a second contract, that should be considered a win.

Stout

Reaction score
How often does a team get solid production during the entire rookie contract even for a first rounder?
Not as often, but posters here are setting a bar extremely low for the 2nd year, and are calmly accepting of it, as if it's okay. This is fueling my reaction. I am not okay if our only edge hope doesn't contribute much for 1/2 of his contract. I get wanting to be pragmatic about the realities of most draft picks, but that reality is too depressing when I think about our lack of any kind of impact at edge. I, for one, am *not* okay with him being "meh" his second season. I want, and the team needs, him to be really good this year. But, according to many here, "meh" is fine, just fine.

Stout

Reaction score
Of course it is. Except that even the best teams miss on draft picks, multitudes more than hitting. It happens almost every year. If you can get a player good enough to earn a second contract, that should be considered a win.
Meanwhile, missing on that pick until the very end will crush our hopes at a championship, or even competing, until year 4. Like it or not, the team--yes, Monti included--has put the entirety of our edge hopes on one pick's shoulders--Ojulari's. If he doesn't do much until year 4, the Cards won't be doing much either until year 4, and maybe not then, if it's cost our coaching staff their jobs by then.

Not getting help from our edge room will hamstring this defense to no end.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Meanwhile, missing on that pick until the very end will crush our hopes at a championship, or even competing, until year 4. Like it or not, the team--yes, Monti included--has put the entirety of our edge hopes on one pick's shoulders--Ojulari's. If he doesn't do much until year 4, the Cards won't be doing much either until year 4, and maybe not then, if it's cost our coaching staff their jobs by then.

Not getting help from our edge room will hamstring this defense to no end.
I think this isn't really the thinking at all.

Zaven Collins is the other hope. Dimukeje improving. Gardeck being more effective with less snaps. Darius Robinson playing some snaps at rush backer.

I don't think it's a great plan, but I don't think Ojulari is the only plan.

Unfortunately, when MO choose to trade #3 overall, there haven't exactly been great draft opportunities for an edge.

Stout

Reaction score
I think this isn't really the thinking at all.

Zaven Collins is the other hope. Dimukeje improving. Gardeck being more effective with less snaps. Darius Robinson playing some snaps at rush backer.

I don't think it's a great plan, but I don't think Ojulari is the only plan.

Unfortunately, when MO choose to trade #3 overall, there haven't exactly been great draft opportunities for an edge.
Ayup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd