2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah todays rumor is Kuminga and Moody for Siakam and I assume something else.

Moody has been buried of late due to the emergence of Podz, and Kuminga a few days ago questioned the sub patterns of Kerr and then after that was "Cleared up" he did it again after last nights game. To be fair, Anthony Slater of the Athletic really screwed Kuminga, Windhorst is on ESPN ripping Slater for doing it.

Per reports Slater essentially caught Kuminga right after the game, they blew an 18 point lead, lost at the buzzer on a 39 footer by Joker, Kuminga had a great game but sat the last 16 minutes for who knows what reason. And then Slater started talking to him about it and Kuminga did what a 21 year old in that situation would do, vent. And Slater went public with it.

I'm actually at the point where I think they ought to keep Kuminga and move on from Kerr(after the season). Kerr has had a great run but I think the last 3 years have shown he's not very good at coaching young players and developing them. Now is where I wish they still had Mike Brown and could convince Kerr to retire for Brown, but that ship sailed to Sacramento.

But if they're going to go after Siakam, it appears that's the likely offer.

But with CP3 out for awhile now, broken hand, surgery Monday apparently, who knows now if they will bother to make a deal? Figures, CP3 had been due for an injury.

My biggest fear with the CP3 injury is they're going to rush Draymond back now to get a playmaker in the lineup instead of doing what's best for Green, and the team, and keeping him out longer.
CP3 injury again with hand that requires surgery. So glad it’s not us dealing with another CP3 injury when he is needed most. We have enough of our own guys in and out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah todays rumor is Kuminga and Moody for Siakam and I assume something else.

Moody has been buried of late due to the emergence of Podz, and Kuminga a few days ago questioned the sub patterns of Kerr and then after that was "Cleared up" he did it again after last nights game. To be fair, Anthony Slater of the Athletic really screwed Kuminga, Windhorst is on ESPN ripping Slater for doing it.

Per reports Slater essentially caught Kuminga right after the game, they blew an 18 point lead, lost at the buzzer on a 39 footer by Joker, Kuminga had a great game but sat the last 16 minutes for who knows what reason. And then Slater started talking to him about it and Kuminga did what a 21 year old in that situation would do, vent. And Slater went public with it.

I'm actually at the point where I think they ought to keep Kuminga and move on from Kerr(after the season). Kerr has had a great run but I think the last 3 years have shown he's not very good at coaching young players and developing them. Now is where I wish they still had Mike Brown and could convince Kerr to retire for Brown, but that ship sailed to Sacramento.

But if they're going to go after Siakam, it appears that's the likely offer.

But with CP3 out for awhile now, broken hand, surgery Monday apparently, who knows now if they will bother to make a deal? Figures, CP3 had been due for an injury.

My biggest fear with the CP3 injury is they're going to rush Draymond back now to get a playmaker in the lineup instead of doing what's best for Green, and the team, and keeping him out longer.

If the Warriors want to contend now, it's probably the right trade. I think they will want to give Stephen Curry at least one more chance to win another ring.

I understand your reluctance to give up Kuminga.

When the Warriors decide to rebuild, that might be the time to hire a new head coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Warriors want to contend now, it's probably the right trade. I think they will want to give Stephen Curry at least one more chance to win another ring.

I understand your reluctance to give up Kuminga.

When the Warriors decide to rebuild, that might be the time to hire a new head coach.

That's why I say I'd rather keep Kuminga and move Kerr out after the year. I don't think they can win a title this year no matter what. So trading Kuminga won't get them a title and will impact the future

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
CP3 injury again with hand that requires surgery. So glad it’s not us dealing with another CP3 injury when he is needed most. We have enough of our own guys in and out.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I say I'd rather keep Kuminga and move Kerr out after the year. I don't think they can win a title this year no matter what. So trading Kuminga won't get them a title and will impact the future

I guess it's how one views what Pascal Siakam would bring to the table versus Kuminga.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trail Blazers waive Skylar Mays and Ish Wainright.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's a pretty good deal for Ish Wainright. He gets paid guaranteed salary.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's how one views what Pascal Siakam would bring to the table versus Kuminga.

Well the thing is this is the last year of Siakam's contract and he makes like 37 million so his next contract will be bigger.

He's a terrific player, better shooter than Kuminga, better passer than Kuminga, probably a comparable defender. So you get a better player that you have to immediately sign, or I guess he'd be an expiring contract(?). Or you keep Kuminga and Moody. Kuminga makes over 6 this year 7 something next year. Moody 3.9 this year 4.8 next year. So their combined contract is less than a 3rd of what you'll pay Siakam, and you still aren't going to win a title with Siakam.

Now there's also been speculation they will trade Wiggins, but that was before the Kuminga stuff came out.

I seriously doubt they will do both deals but say they do the Kuminga deal and get Siakam and then do another deal with Wiggins and get a useful piece(no idea who). Maybe then it makes sense maybe you get enough better this year you can contend before Curry is too old.

But my guess is if they do the deal they make the playoffs with Siakam, go out early and then have to figure out how to get better without Kuminga and Moody and everyone a year older.

As Barkley said, they're still cooked, old players don't get better they get older.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the thing is this is the last year of Siakam's contract and he makes like 37 million so his next contract will be bigger.

He's a terrific player, better shooter than Kuminga, better passer than Kuminga, probably a comparable defender. So you get a better player that you have to immediately sign, or I guess he'd be an expiring contract(?). Or you keep Kuminga and Moody. Kuminga makes over 6 this year 7 something next year. Moody 3.9 this year 4.8 next year. So their combined contract is less than a 3rd of what you'll pay Siakam, and you still aren't going to win a title with Siakam.

Now there's also been speculation they will trade Wiggins, but that was before the Kuminga stuff came out.

I seriously doubt they will do both deals but say they do the Kuminga deal and get Siakam and then do another deal with Wiggins and get a useful piece(no idea who). Maybe then it makes sense maybe you get enough better this year you can contend before Curry is too old.

But my guess is if they do the deal they make the playoffs with Siakam, go out early and then have to figure out how to get better without Kuminga and Moody and everyone a year older.

As Barkley said, they're still cooked, old players don't get better they get older.
I think going all out for it while Curry is still among the best gives you a slightly better chance of winning it all than gambling you can still be relevant as this next crop of superstars hits their prime. Kuminga is going to improve but I don't think he's going to improve as much as Wemby or Chet or Banchero or Edwards or Haliburton not to mention the stars reaching their prime right now such as Doncic and SGA.

Actually I think a lot of teams are looking around at the young stars and getting a little nervous. Granted, probably no team is as nervous about it as the Suns and not just because the franchise has never won the title.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Warriors can get Siakam at a cost less than what the Suns gave up for Durant, then it makes some sense, unless one thinks Kuminga will be a star.

IMO, it's all about giving Stephen Curry what he wants. He is the Warriors.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If the Warriors can get Siakam at a cost less than what the Suns gave up for Durant, then it makes some sense, unless one thinks Kuminga will be a star.

Durant's a better player than Siakam, so not sure why you feel the need to compare the two. Of course Siakam won't cost as much as Durant. Hell, Durant wouldn't cost as much as Durant today.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this case, when I talk about cost, I'm talking about over paying in terms of assets, players and picks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess my thinking is you only mortgage the future if you have a reasonable chance of winning it all this year. I just don't think they do. Even if say Draymond comes back and he's a totally different person, reports are he hasn't been working out at the facility so he's likely going to take weeks to get into game shape. I just think it's unlikely that adding Siakam for JK and Moody is going to put them over the top. He's very good but he's not a rim protector which they need and he's not a knockdown shooter which sounds crazy but it's one of their biggest needs. They're nowhere near as good from 3 as they have been in the past.

With CP3 out I assume Podz goes back into the starting lineup until/if Draymond returns, gets in shape and can go back to being the playmaker. So I guess the one possibility is all that extra PT will allow Podz to go from really good rookie to blossoming star.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CP3 has to be done. This is his 3rd surgery on his hands within 3 years, right? Maybe more. I know you bust your fingers and hands up playing basketball but I've never heard of someone having continuing issues like Paul has over the last few years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Found this on ESPN, I thought he had surgery since and maybe he has but it was the other hand that he had more recent surgery on. He had surgery on his left wrist after the 21 Finals.

A 19-year veteran, Paul has a long history of injuries, 11 of which were hand injuries -- five to his left and six to his right. He has had four surgeries on his hand or wrist, most recently on his left wrist after his 2021 NBA Finals appearance with the Phoenix Suns.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really need someone like Lindsay or better back doing the interviews

Attachments

• IMG_2185.jpeg
    IMG_2185.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 17

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Siakam and compensation to the Suns, Durant to the Warriors, Whoever to Toronto. Make it happen. Minimally hurts the Suns' barely existant title chances for this year, but puts them in a stronger position for next season and beyond.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Siakam and compensation to the Suns, Durant to the Warriors, Whoever to Toronto. Make it happen. Minimally hurts the Suns' barely existant title chances for this year, but puts them in a stronger position for next season and beyond.
Not a bad thought, but unlikely Warriors would ever do it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Not a bad thought, but unlikely Warriors would ever do it.

Isn't Durant more valuable to them than Siakam, given where their franchise is right now? They should be trying to milk one more title out of Curry's career.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan Poole is -342 this year, the worst of all 520 players who have played in an NBA game

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Longest slump of his brilliant career continues for Steph Curry.

2-14 from the floor 0-9 from 3 in the loss to the Raptors. 2nd game in a couple of weeks without a 3 after setting an NBA record for most consecutive games with at least one

Starting with the Suns game where he went 8-24 he's had a 5-17, 2-12, 7-21, 3-15, 9-25, 7-19. Note he's had some really good games in that streak too, his slumps are different than most but he's shot 42% overall in Dec and Jan and 34% from 3.

He's 35 and carrying the team on his back my assumption is it's just gotten too much. Last night didn't surprise me at all, with CP3 out they started Curry, Klay, Kuminga, Wiggins and Jackson-Davis which meant Curry wound up being the primary ball handler, and Toronto predictably doubled him the whole game.

They're at least a week away from getting Draymond back, with CP3 and GP2 both out they're down 2 guards so now Cory Joseph and Podz are the only other ballhandler playmakers they have.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Former Warriors GM Bob Myers goes to the NFL Commanders.