2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pacers are on their way up and it's no secret why.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Revisiting the 2020 NBA Draft for a moment, Tyrese Haliburton says he did not force his way to the Kings.

The only two teams he didn't want to play for were Atlanta and Cleveland.

This should help clear up a lot of heated discussions on the Suns forum.

As I view it, it was a terrible blunder for the Suns not to draft him at #10. Tyrese Haliburton could have been the Suns PGOTF, actually star of the future.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kellon Olson continues to give his thoughts on the matter.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Revisiting the 2020 NBA Draft for a moment, Tyrese Haliburton says he did not force his way to the Kings.

As I view it, it was a terrible blunder for the Suns not to draft him at #10. Tyrese Haliburton could have been the Suns PGOTF, actually star of the future.

Atlanta makes sense with Trae Young there. Cleveland makes sense because it's Cleveland. Such a boneheaded move by so many teams but the Suns especially given our needs, history of developing All Star PG's, and Hali being the BPA when we picked.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atlanta makes sense with Trae Young there. Cleveland makes sense because it's Cleveland. Such a boneheaded move by so many teams but the Suns especially given our needs, history of developing All Star PG's, and Hali being the BPA when we picked.

It was almost better not to know that James Jones passed on Haliburton given the Suns needs, not to mention he was the BPA.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cleveland had Darius Garland and Collin Sexton prior to swinging the trade for Donovan Mitchell last fall so I get not wanting to go into a logjam situation.

The Warriors took Wiseman who’s an absolute bust and the Bulls took Patrick Williams who hasn’t really improved and is injury prone.

At the end of the day, the draft is a crapshoot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That runs counter to what we heard on draft night but if this is true, what a screw up on our part. And for the Spurs who also passed on him for supposedly the same reason.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That runs counter to what we heard on draft night but if this is true, what a screw up on our part. And for the Spurs who also passed on him for supposedly the same reason.

Only James Jones and some other GMs know for sure.

Still, I think the Suns should have drafted the BPA at #10 (Haliburton) in the 2020 draft rather than reach for a developmental player.

Also, James Jones could have traded down or out of the draft if he didn't like his choices.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Spurs had DeJounte Murray at the time, who had started voicing his displeasure in San Antonio. Devin Vassell was a Popovich player. I can believe San Antonio having Vassell equal or higher than Haliburton internally.

The Suns just whiffed, badly.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Only James Jones and some other GMs know for sure.

Still, I think the Suns should have drafted the BPA at #10 (Haliburton) in the 2020 draft rather than reach for a developmental player.

Also, James Jones could have traded down or out of the draft if he didn't like his choices.
This bungle (among a few others) is primarily why I have lost any enthusiasm I may have once had for James Jones being the Suns GM. I have to admit that I hope that Ishbia considers moving on from him soon if they don't somehow win it all this year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I didn’t buy the medical stuff because what young PG in their right mind wouldn’t want to play with CP3 for at least a year or two? If it was about playing time he would’ve stayed away from Sacramento who had Fox, Hield and Bogdanovich at the time. Gambo just said the Suns didn’t like him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
To be fair, just from a position standpoint, we were both looking for PG and PF. With us having a vet PG on the roster, arguably PF was more of a need. Again, not looking at players, just positions.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
OKC’s 3 best players are 25 or younger, they’re 2nd in net rating and 1st in 3pt shooting. They have cap space to use and multiple 1st rd picks every year until 2030. Wild.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How many times will the Hali draft come up. I thought we went over this before.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Drafting for need over BPA seldom works out.
Except, in the history of the Suns, sometimes we would have 3-4 PGs that would start on any roster, because we kept drafting, trading and getting them in free agency, but we couldn't get a decent center to save our butts. Sometimes need outweighs BPA. Right now we could use a good rebounding big as our fifth starter to help on the boards. We are a small team outside Nurkic. So we are back at the PF conundrum again. KD is that guy when playing, but we are still looking for that guy when KD isn't in the lineup. Heck against big teams it would still be great to have KD, Booker, Beal, Nurkic and a big rebounding player X.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Except, in the history of the Suns, sometimes we would have 3-4 PGs that would start on any roster, because we kept drafting, trading and getting them in free agency, but we couldn't get a decent center to save our butts. Sometimes need outweighs BPA. Right now we could use a good rebounding big as our fifth starter to help on the boards. We are a small team outside Nurkic. So we are back at the PF conundrum again. KD is that guy when playing, but we are still looking for that guy when KD isn't in the lineup. Heck against big teams it would still be great to have KD, Booker, Beal, Nurkic and a big rebounding player X.
When you are completely stacked at a position that the BPA belongs to than you trade out of the spot IMO. Of course this is not really a factor with Hali as we were not stacked at PG when we passed on him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When a team has quality, even in multiples at the same position, it will always retain value.

If a team settles for less, it will not increase in value. A tin can will always be a tin can, but a gold nugget will always be a gold nugget.

A rough example would be when the Kings traded Haliburton for Sabonis even though they had Fox and Mitchell.

However, I still think the Kings got shortchanged when they traded for size.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OKC’s 3 best players are 25 or younger, they’re 2nd in net rating and 1st in 3pt shooting. They have cap space to use and multiple 1st rd picks every year until 2030. Wild.
Yeah, they went slow and steady. We probably should have gone that route too but let's face it, after a decade of being the laughing stock of the league, I can understand why we tried to advance our timeline with CP3. It didn't help that we caught very few breaks with the draft lottery and then failed to make the best out of what was available.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And they have major talent. And the Warriors are the worst team at holding leads and 4th quarter closing I've seen in years.

The last time they let Holmgren catch and shoot a 3 at teh buzzer to force OT and lost. This time up 3 they were determined to foul, Draymond then stupidly went for a steal on the inbounds pass to Chet which made him a split second late so when he fouled, they ruled it in the act of shooting. Kerr challenged, they lost and Chet made all 3. They still had a shot to win the game but Curry held the ball far too long and jacked up an offbalance fading 3 so OT.

They start the OT with Klay foolishly fouling on a 3, get down 9 then rally to get close but twice had stupid turnovers, a hit ahead by Curry and a pass out of bounds by Draymond. At 4 they score, the pass ahead by OKC is tipped by Podz and goes off Dort, the refs call it OKC ball, everyone waits for Kerr to challenge but he can't because they challenged the call at the end of regulation. It was close but sure looked like off Dort. OKC scores off the inbounds and the Warriors never got it back.

I get why Kerr challenged if he gets the call they probably win, but what a killer.

SGA is amazing, Chet is outstanding and Santa Clara Williams is getting better all the time. I would expect them to move on from Giddey not only because of the offcourt stuff but because they have better players so they won't want to give him the next contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. Most of the really bad trade and draft decisions this franchise made prior to the Sarver era were attempts to make us bigger and stronger in the middle. For whatever reason, we were much better at identifying shooters and playmakers and struck out whenever we went after some inside muscle.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. Most of the really bad trade and draft decisions this franchise made prior to the Sarver era were attempts to make us bigger and stronger in the middle. For whatever reason, we were much better at identifying shooters and playmakers and struck out whenever we went after some inside muscle.

Yes, trading for Rick Robey really stands out.