2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, it's terrible from a PR perspective for Giddey. But if she lied about her age to get into the 18 and over club where he met her (and therefore lied about her age to him), it's really difficult to find him at fault for that. It's not like he could be expected to have any obvious reason to question her age - she wasn't a pre-teen trying to pass for 18.

It seems to me that if anyone should be held to a level of legal responsibility here, it should be the nightclub for not vetting who gets admitted.

But as far as how the NBA will view it and how it impacts his pro career, I can't really venture a guess.

That's pretty much where I am on it. Reports state he broke it off once he learned her real age, which was after the deed was done. If that is true then I don't believe he should be grouped with the likes of Karl Malone, who impregnated a 13 year old girl and was all around a scumbag in many regards. Giddey should be more careful as a professional athlete but it didn't seem like he sought out a relationship or fling with a 15 year old girl on purpose.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That's pretty much where I am on it. Reports state he broke it off once he learned her real age, which was after the deed was done. If that is true then I don't believe he should be grouped with the likes of Karl Malone, who impregnated a 13 year old girl and was all around a scumbag in many regards. Giddey should be more careful as a professional athlete but it didn't seem like he sought out a relationship or fling with a 15 year old girl on purpose.
Just throwing another factor into this. Women physically mature faster than men. Most of us guys were geeks at nineteen, while the gals we went to school with looked like mature women and better than us guys in general.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting comments from Iguodala about James Wiseman. Said when he was rehabbing his own injury, Wiseman was rehabbing his and "He was a monster, strong, could jump out of the gym, run end to end as fast as me in my prime." Iggy publicly at the time predicted Wiseman was going to be great. But he said in hindsight the one issue he had then was lateral quickness, in practice guys could just go by him, we all figured he was so athletic it was just he didn't have his legs yet and that would go away. But apparently that's ultimately why the Warriors got rid of him and why Detroit isn't playing him more, offensively he's good, but he's just not laterally quick enough to play in todays NBA he can't hedge and guard.

The other thing was he's apparently notoriously slow on his 2nd jump, he can still sky for a guy his size but if he has to jump twice or jump off balance he can't and it's why he's such a mediocre shot blocker for his size.

It's looking more and more like he may be out of the league in the not to distant future, he can't get minutes on Detroit, one of the worst teams in the league and the guys taking minutes are in most cases the same age as him or not much older.

In hindsight that was a horrible draft, Edwards was gone, the next best player is clearly Haliburton but the Warriors needed a big and Wiseman seemed the perfect fit.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pacers advance in win over the Celtics.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not quite NBA news but wow Mikey Williams will not get any prison time. I thought for sure this kid was was all but a wrap.

It’s unfortunate because there are many many others who have done less to serve time.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting comments from Iguodala about James Wiseman. Said when he was rehabbing his own injury, Wiseman was rehabbing his and "He was a monster, strong, could jump out of the gym, run end to end as fast as me in my prime." Iggy publicly at the time predicted Wiseman was going to be great. But he said in hindsight the one issue he had then was lateral quickness, in practice guys could just go by him, we all figured he was so athletic it was just he didn't have his legs yet and that would go away. But apparently that's ultimately why the Warriors got rid of him and why Detroit isn't playing him more, offensively he's good, but he's just not laterally quick enough to play in todays NBA he can't hedge and guard.

The other thing was he's apparently notoriously slow on his 2nd jump, he can still sky for a guy his size but if he has to jump twice or jump off balance he can't and it's why he's such a mediocre shot blocker for his size.

It's looking more and more like he may be out of the league in the not to distant future, he can't get minutes on Detroit, one of the worst teams in the league and the guys taking minutes are in most cases the same age as him or not much older.

In hindsight that was a horrible draft, Edwards was gone, the next best player is clearly Haliburton but the Warriors needed a big and Wiseman seemed the perfect fit.
I'm sorry any draft that has both Edwards and Halliburton in it cannot be described as a horrible draft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry any draft that has both Edwards and Halliburton in it cannot be described as a horrible draft.

After them it pretty much was. Melo Ball is putting up great stats but can't stay healthy and plays losing basketball.

It was a very weak draft, two great players, but lots of guys who just aren't very good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
James Harden once again opens his mouth and says that his representation met with the Rockets a year ago to discuss a deal (after they hired Udoka), all while still under contract with Philly.

This guys is a complete moron. Tampering charges coming? The Rockets could be in trouble too.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James Harden once again opens his mouth and says that his representation met with the Rockets a year ago to discuss a deal (after they hired Udoka), all while still under contract with Philly.

This guys is a complete moron. Tampering charges coming? The Rockets could be in trouble too.
Thing is you know this stuff happens all the time - the league almost has to do something though when it is made public because they need to uphold the illusion of a fair playing field.

Also yeah Harden is an idiot, and is going to be out of the league very soon.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Thing is you know this stuff happens all the time - the league almost has to do something though when it is made public because they need to uphold the illusion of a fair playing field.

Also yeah Harden is an idiot, and is going to be out of the league very soon.
I don't disagree, but for him to say it in an interview with the Athletic is like blatantly challenging the league to do something. I won't be surprised if they do nothing however.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but for him to say it in an interview with the Athletic is like blatantly challenging the league to do something. I won't be surprised if they do nothing however.

Yet the Suns got popped for Eubanks. Hopefully something happens or else its just not fair, but when is the NBA ever.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Agents can meet with anyone, right? :shrug: As long as the Rockets weren't directly trying to lure him away, right?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Lol. What exactly do you think they were meeting about??
I mean the Coon Faq says this right? A team can call any agent and say they want to know if player X would ever consider playing for them. As long as they don't call player X directly. Another loophole is Devin Booker can call up a guy and lobby for him to join the Suns, as long as our GM doesn't do it. I'm pretty sure that's in general the rules.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I mean the Coon Faq says this right? A team can call any agent and say they want to know if player X would ever consider playing for them. As long as they don't call player X directly. Another loophole is Devin Booker can call up a guy and lobby for him to join the Suns, as long as our GM doesn't do it. I'm pretty sure that's in general the rules.
You're talking about a phone call not a face to face meeting.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I hate Luka, but he had a hell of a game tonight. One of the best halves in NBA history, if not the best ever.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I knew Giddy was a bad shooter but... yikes. Embarrassing stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd