2022 World Cup Thread

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Messi with a spectacular pass that resulted in a goal. Argentina up 1-0 at half.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Netherlands ties it up with literally no time left on the clock. What a game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What a game!

I lived in the Netherlands for a year when I was a kid and Messi is my favorite all-time player, so I'm good with however this game ended. But I like the storyline with trying to get Messi a World Cup.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Great day of soccer, unless you are a diehard fan of the Dutch or Brazilians.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Two wonderful games today. World cup at it's best. The Messi dream lives on for a few more days.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
No team looks truly dominant. Argentina has to be the favorites.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The Argentina - Netherlands game did look pretty incredible. I didn't see the entire game, just the highlights. But I would have loved to see the near brawl in real time. It didn't appear that any red cards were given, which shocks me, but since I didn't see it live, I can't say.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
American soccer journalist Grant Wahl died suddenly today under suspicious circumstances.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Sounds like the brother thinks foul play. Wahl was pretty critical of Qatar since day one.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
He went through detainment over his shirt and his most recent blog post was critical of Qatar for glossing over yet another death of a migrant worker - which they really don't want to talk about, even though it's related to this event and occurred during the event

I can't imagine they would be that brazen, even if it's pretty clear they don't have much respect or value to life

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I guess I am in the minority, I want Croatia to win, Modric is a player I’ve always liked watching and after the heroics of their goalkeeper last shootout I have a soft spot for them.
Yeah, even though I wanted Brazil to advance, I've liked Croatia ever since '98. I'm okay with them advancing. Wouldn't mind them winning--IF France can't lol

Stout

Reaction score
He went through detainment over his shirt and his most recent blog post was critical of Qatar for glossing over yet another death of a migrant worker - which they really don't want to talk about, even though it's related to this event and occurred during the event

I can't imagine they would be that brazen, even if it's pretty clear they don't have much respect or value to life
Yeah, this has got to be considered fishy. Why the hell would he have to go by Uber to the hospital and not by actual ambulance?

Stout

Reaction score
Morocco up 1-nil at the break! Good reaction from Portugal after the goal, but the half ended. Portugal whining and moaning, too. Fernandes should've been booked for a dive in the box.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow, there are some Argentina players that should be suspended for the next round, Messi included. Acted like scumbags.
Context, Stout. Context. The Netherlands players were downright awful and they targeted Messi as well.

Stout

Reaction score
Context, Stout. Context. The Netherlands players were downright awful and they targeted Messi as well.
Context says the Dutch are out of the tourney and can't be sanctioned. And I'm not talking about targeting for fouls--listen the grade school hate spewed after the game. There is no room in soccer for any of that. Messi isn't the first player by far to be targeted, without flipping out that way.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Nice!

I'm kind of pulling for Morocco.

They have a lot of passion in their domestic - the Casablanca Derby between Raja & Wydad is incredible

Some good players and Jawad El Yamiq spent a couple season with Genoa. Although he really didn't feature and spent most of his time on loan, the Moroccan supporters were great to interact with and many stuck around - kind of like the opposite of the Mexicans when Genoa had Johan Vazquez

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Wow, there are some Argentina players that should be suspended for the next round, Messi included. Acted like scumbags.
The ref was handing out yellow cards during the shootout, that is some crazy ****.