2022 World Cup Thread

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Depends on how much you use your phone. I don't ever look up scores and post/look up sports scores via social media.

How many people (parents) will be at the tourney watching the game on their phones too?

I can avoid being spoiled for the most part, but I am in the minority.
Yeah. I'm pretty adept at avoiding, I rarely watch NFL in real time.

This is just to big though and maybe to casual.

I watched the first half of Iran in lunch before going into a meeting - which ended with someone posting US wins on the chat out of the blue

I'm sure some will be watching one their phone, which I can avoid ..... Maybe or in headphones or something walking to the car

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm pretty adept at avoiding, I rarely watch NFL in real time.

This is just to big though and maybe to casual.

I watched the first half of Iran in lunch before going into a meeting - which ended with someone posting US wins on the chat out of the blue

I'm sure some will be watching one their phone, which I can avoid ..... Maybe or in headphones or something walking to the car
At a soccer event? I'd say little to no chance you can avoid it. Do try anyway, and I hope it works.

Kind of reminds me of the one U.S. Soccer commercial where the guy is militantly avoiding having the game spoiled for him. The moment he walks in his front door, his young daughter skips past with a "We won!"

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
At a soccer event? I'd say little to no chance you can avoid it. Do try anyway, and I hope it works.

Kind of reminds me of the one U.S. Soccer commercial where the guy is militantly avoiding having the game spoiled for him. The moment he walks in his front door, his young daughter skips past with a "We won!"

Yeah - I've been there, even with neighborhood kids - they had to be taught.........

Probably the most random spoiler was my college basketball team - they are pretty much never on TV that I get .... A few years ago they were and I recorded it for after work. Wasn't like ESPN or any major broadcast either.

On the drive home I listened to some sports talk and then they jumped into scores, was kind of zoning as they recapped NBA and top 25 games - then all of a sudden "in other college basketball news Drexel drops a close one by the score of...."

The only other times I've heard a Drexel score here are the 1 time they played Arizona and their 1 recent NCAA appearance. Even the NIT games went unmentioned.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I unfortunately missed the game as I was away in the mountains of West Virginia and their satellite service did not have any Fox sports on it or local stations. Their internet was spotty so I had to settle for hearing the score and I watched the highlights of the game.

It appeared that the US played a pretty solid game from the highlights and could have had a couple more goals. It also appeared that Iran had a few quality shots and were turned back.

Now back home today and will be watching the game Saturday. One needs to realize how young this team is. We can only hope that between now and 2026 they find a quality striker or two between now and then. This could be a dangerous team in 2026.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Agreed. There is a nice foundation.

Hopefully slonina can develop into an option at GK.

I'm not sure the next line of CBs, but need drug there. I've been really happy with the play on LB/RB and there is some depth there

Midfield looks good. Attacking support looks good.

A dynamic striker is the riddle.

There is some talent in the developmental program, plus some I'm sure we've never heard of.

Yunus Musuh was playing in the England youth system the last cycle and now looks to be a fixture.

I'm also sure a couple guys were excited about now will fall off

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The US needs a striker that other teams need to account for and have cause for concern. Right now we don't have that, someone who forces the defense to be aware of his presence and where he is on the pitch.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so happy for Japan. They are my 2nd team. I knew they would advance from the group after the drubbing they gave the US. I would have been so gutted for them if Spain equalized and went from top of the group to out.

Stout

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Spain. What kind of morons keep trying to play pretty touch soccer when you're losing? Style points count for nothing. Now you'll have a crappier path to advancing. Bastardos lol

I mean, they were so averse to attacking that a guy got a free header in the box--and headed back OUT of the box to keep possession! smh

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Spain. What kind of morons keep trying to play pretty touch soccer when you're losing? Style points count for nothing. Now you'll have a crappier path to advancing. Bastardos lol

I mean, they were so averse to attacking that a guy got a free header in the box--and headed back OUT of the box to keep possession! smh
Yes and no. They get Morocco instead of Croatia in the next round. That is a more favorable matchup.

Stout

Reaction score
Yes and no. They get Morocco instead of Croatia in the next round. That is a more favorable matchup.
Ooh, actually, yes it is. Still, you could tell they didn't want to lose. They were straining and trying hard, just doing dumb things. Blame the coach for sticking to a losing approach to the bitter end.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
was the ball out on Japan's second goal? I know they did a var check, but I didn't see a clear picture. Japan definitely are slaying giants.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was the ball out on Japan's second goal? I know they did a var check, but I didn't see a clear picture. Japan definitely are slaying giants.
from the side it looked it. Overhead not so much, but it is DAMN close.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Being a Belgium supporter must be frustrating - that team always seems to tease

Looks like if Japan gets any result from Spain then Germany goes home, which would need interesting - wonder how Spain plays this one

Also read an ESPN article yesterday blasting Deschamps for experimenting again in game 3, having the team be flat and putting out a poor performance - basically ripping him because they did the same thing in game 3 in 2018 and it was also a bad result and that France clearly didn't learn from that experience ..... Which fine, I guess when you are looking at game 3s ..... But I think France would be more than happy to have this tournament go just like 2018......
I was pulling for Belgium in 2018, I feel like that was their chance. they had the quality to beat France, but France found a way past them. Belgium are still a deep team, but their superstar players are past their prime. Lukaku missed a few sitter goals in that game vs. Croatia. He's not the same player that he was in the past.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I'm glad they stayed with the goal. if it's not clear and obvious in 10 seconds of review, I feel like staying with the call is the right choice. even if it goes against my squad...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad they stayed with the goal. if it's not clear and obvious in 10 seconds of review, I feel like staying with the call is the right choice. even if it goes against my squad...
Take 5 minutes if you need to, just get the call right.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Take 5 minutes if you need to, just get the call right.
I'm not a fan of adding extra minutes to the end of the match. it's not good for the players. that is the whole reason I was initially against VAR. I do think VAR has gotten better though and I do like that it takes away some of the terrible misses.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

That is damn close. There is the tiniest bit of the ball still on the line which means the ball is still in play. As a soccer referee for 10 years I always found it amazing how often a ball would be called out as soon as the bottom of the ball was no longer touching the line by other refs which is an incorrect call. That used to drive me nuts when I had it called that way as a coach.

I even had one ref call a corner kick against me because my keeper's feet were over the goal line even though the ball was still in the field of play and he told me he called a corner due to my keeper being over the goal line.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is damn close. There is the tiniest bit of the ball still on the line which means the ball is still in play. As a soccer referee for 10 years I always found it amazing how often a ball would be called out as soon as the bottom of the ball was no longer touching the line by other refs which is an incorrect call. That used to drive me nuts when I had it called that way as a coach.

I even had one ref call a corner kick against me because my keeper's feet were over the goal line even though the ball was still in the field of play and he told me he called a corner due to my keeper being over the goal line.
Well that is a ref that doesn't know the basic rules.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of adding extra minutes to the end of the match. it's not good for the players. that is the whole reason I was initially against VAR. I do think VAR has gotten better though and I do like that it takes away some of the terrible misses.
I absolutely love it. If they don't want additional time added, stop allowing players to take over 30 seconds to throw the ball in from the sidelines, or faking injuries. Or substitutions that take 1-2 minutes that weren't added on. The extra time this World Cup is something that FIFA has done right this time. Not every game has the crazy long minutes.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Well that is a ref that doesn't know the basic rules.
I have a better one for you. I had one of my players trip a player and she got called for the foul. The other girl then got up and threw an elbow to the face of my player. The ref called nothing on the other player no card, nothing. When I approached her about it, the ref told me you only call the first foul. So I told her fine, I'll go tell my girls anytime they get fouled they can go ahead and punch the other girl in the face without repercussions because the ref said they would only call the first foul. The ref threatened to red card me.

Stout

Reaction score
I get what they're doing with the expanded format, changing to 3 group games so that there aren't any extra games played. 3 group games + an extra round. That said, I don't like it.