2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Paul George has a sprained right knee and will be re-evaluated in 2-3 weeks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This sounds like a typical vague press release from the team, doesn't say much. In Clipper-speak "re-evaluated in 2-3 weeks" probably means he's out for the season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a typical vague press release from the team, doesn't say much. In Clipper-speak "re-evaluated in 2-3 weeks" probably means he's out for the season.

I agree. It seems like an optimistic take but there is an element of hope.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe but if he completely destroyed the knee I would imagine that would be out already.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, yeah, there is only 2 and a half weeks left in the season.

Maybe you mean the playoffs also?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yes, out for the whole shebang. Clips have a track record of downplaying severity of injuries. Kawhi is exhibit A.
That was my first thought. I remember the speculation Kawhi could return that series even though he tore his ACL a week prior. Teams try to make injury info seem as confusing as possible these days.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see this? The Mavericks will file a protest in regard to their loss to the Warriors.

The referees inbounded the ball to the Warriors on a changed call which lead to an unguarded basket.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OKC keeps us in the 4 spot beating the Clippers.

I don’t care what anyone says… when the 4 seed might be barely over .500, and Denver, Memphis and Sacto the best 3 teams in the standings when everyone regards them as pretenders… the West stinks this year.
with Duant the Suns are not pretenders

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
100% disagree about Sabonis and 100% agree with Finito here.

I like DS also but damn he is going to get exposed in the playoffs IMO. If Ayton has his energy....... his defense is the most important skill he possesses in the playoffs.

Sabonis is the one of the ultimate playoff pigeons IMO. They better hope they can outscore everyone because otherwise they are gone by the 2nd round.

And that injury to PG was ugly. I hope he comes out of it with a mild sprain but I fear it may be much worse than that. the NBA may get what they want with the Suns and Warriors in round 1.
he has short hand's

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with Duant the Suns are not pretenders

The Suns are pretenders though. They don't have the depth to be legit contenders and that should be obvious now. It's also pretending to believe KD and Booker will stay healthy enough to lead this team to a championship, which will also require Ayton and Paul are reasonably productive more often than they have been.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are pretenders though. They don't have the depth to be legit contenders and that should be obvious now. It's also pretending to believe KD and Booker will stay healthy enough to lead this team to a championship, which will also require Ayton and Paul are reasonably productive more often than they have been.

This team being healthy until June. I’ll take the under on that.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see this? The Mavericks will file a protest in regard to their loss to the Warriors.

The referees inbounded the ball to the Warriors on a changed call which lead to an unguarded basket.

I've seen the replay several times. Cuban insists the ref called it Mavs ball and the announcer even announced it as Mavs ball. Not true from what I saw. The official calls it Warriors ball and then immediately after motioned for a Mavs timeout. Cuban and others may have misunderstood but it was not clear to all that it was called Mavs ball and later changed as he implies. The one thing the ref could have done when he saw the Mavs lined up at the other end of the court was reiterate whose ball it was and let them get in position. I bet they lose the protest (which costs $10,000 to file).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the replay several times. Cuban insists the ref called it Mavs ball and the announcer even announced it as Mavs ball. Not true from what I saw. The official calls it Warriors ball and then immediately after motioned for a Mavs timeout. Cuban and others may have misunderstood but it was not clear to all that it was called Mavs ball and later changed as he implies. The one thing the ref could have done when he saw the Mavs lined up at the other end of the court was reiterate whose ball it was and let them get in position. I bet they lose the protest (which costs $10,000 to file).

That's less than Cuban or Kidd would be fined for speaking out against the officials so not really a costly decision for the organization. This is probably the better way to voice their displeasure.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't get what the Mavs can complain about here... ball off Mavs, refs signal as such, Mavs idiotically line up on the wrong side of the court... give up a free basket...

They didn't even have a guy on that end of the court to inbound the ball, clearly they had a collective brain fart and are now trying to save face.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Long take on injuries in the modern NBA.

This guy's take in brief, the heavy schedule of AAU and amateur basketball is very bad, the rapid pace of the current NBA makes chronic NBA injuries worse, the load management and lack or practice doesn't help either as the player don't build endurance.

There probably is a lot of truth to what he says. I can hardly remember any non-contact injuries in the NBA when I was young. If someone blew their knee out, it was typically because another guy rolled them up (way to go Livingston).

I don't think a shut down of AAU basketball would hurt anyone... other than the elite AAU organizers who profit on amateur athletics. But I don't think it is the real answer. It does seem that the babying of injuries has only led to more injuries. The AAU game has been around for a few dacades and the pace of the modern game has has been increasing for years. We've only seen this explosion in injuries the last 2 or 3 seasons. IMO,sd the trainers point out in the video. A lack of muscle build up through training and an overly soft schedule... compounded by teams holding guys out for minor injuries.

Long story short.

I don't think we're helping anything by holding Durant out when he is healthy enough to play.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I see what you are saying, and to a large extent, I do agree. However, when you have Booker and KD, you always have a chance. You might turn out to be 100% correct, but I haven't seen enough of this team at full strength to declare them to be pretenders just yet.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get what the Mavs can complain about here... ball off Mavs, refs signal as such, Mavs idiotically line up on the wrong side of the court... give up a free basket...

They didn't even have a guy on that end of the court to inbound the ball, clearly they had a collective brain fart and are now trying to save face.

I only saw the 6 seconds in the above video. It was weird for sure.

I don't recall ever seeing this happen before where the whole team got it wrong.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you are saying, and to a large extent, I do agree. However, when you have Booker and KD, you always have a chance. You might turn out to be 100% correct, but I haven't seen enough of this team at full strength to declare them to be pretenders just yet.

Same could be said about the Lakers and Clippers. When their 2 stars are healthy and playing then they're tough to beat but I'd take their supporting cast over the Suns any day of the week.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least we are not the Mavs... they're healthy and tumbling out of the playoffs, 6-12 since trading for Kyrie. Just fell to 11th place after losing to the putrid Hornets.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least we are not the Mavs... they're healthy and tumbling out of the playoffs, 6-12 since trading for Kyrie. Just fell to 11th place after losing to the putrid Hornets.

We could be joining them soon.