2021 Training Camp Thread

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No he isn't.

He's saying if you want to run a route that I'm supposed to be running we can swap.
And furthermore just switching routes makes NO sense.

My interpretation is what makes sense, and it's actually in line with what they are saying, hence why they said SWITCH

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
its not something they are deciding at the line of scrimmage. this would be decided in practice, based off who feels they run the better route given the formation.

this isnt a haphazard process.

That doesn't make sense. In that case why does it point out they don't have to run it by Kliff?

If they are in practice and AJ says "You know Nuk, you'd be better for this route" why wouldn't they just discuss that with Kliff and then Kliff can call it that way in game?

Saying they can change ad hoc without running it by him suggests it's a in the huddle thing. Either way it's dumb and I'm done with this topic. Nothing will convince me it's not a garbage way to run a team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Read it again. And again. And again.

It's quite clear Krang.

""If you want a route and I'm on that side, we can switch."

If you are one one side, and I'm on the other side, and the route you want is on my side. We can switch.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Whisenhunt let his WRs choose routes? I think not.

Stop trying to use "Well QBs have latitude" because its not remotely the same.
I wasn't. I was pointing out that Whisenhunt was dumb and not a good coach but Warner still made him look good. Evidently some people lack reading comprehension skills

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense. In that case why does it point out they don't have to run it by Kliff?

If they are in practice and AJ says "You know Nuk, you'd be better for this route" why wouldn't they just discuss that with Kliff and then Kliff can call it that way in game?

Saying they can change ad hoc without running it by him suggests it's a in the huddle thing. Either way it's dumb and I'm done with this topic. Nothing will convince me it's not a garbage way to run a team.

Your way or the highway. Understood.

The play is the play; the route trees are the route trees; who actually run the route tree is not static and subject to in huddle suggestions based on the on-the-field data from NUK & Green in this case. This is up-to-the-moment tactics and there's no time to get a sign-off from the sideline. KM is the general in charge and can veto if need be, although unlikely.

The play works or doesn't as is the case with every call.

If there are issues with the improv it can be addressed subsequently.

You have a static Marshall Haig at the Somme approach and KK, KM, NUK, and Green prefer Napoleon's Austerlitz flexibility.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I watched that play over and over later on what really struck me is what they talk about with RB's having an ability to "get small" at the LOS to get through small creases. it's not just speed that got Zaven there he was able to angle his body as he got through the gap so that the linemen had no way of stopping him. He's a rookie he's going to make mistakes but that play was so impressive because even in preseason teams script plays. I guarantee Dallas had been practicing that play over and over. The lineman didn't do anything "wrong" he just could not get there before Collins did. Very impressive

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And the Coach on the sidelines can't know in an instant the "micro" that cornerback "A", "B" or "C" is being set up by the wideout(s), sucking air, having trouble with his right, left or long - etc. and reacting now, on the next play, is the time to take advantage and not after a discussion on the sideline to get permission to fit a move into the grand design. (IMO)
I think those types of things do happen on the fly and as long as it’s not all the time the coach is usually okay with it. But that’s a far cry from “you guys always have permission to switch things up” as the comment seemed to suggest.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
its not something they are deciding at the line of scrimmage. this would be decided in practice, based off who feels they run the better route given the formation.

this isnt a haphazard process.
I didn’t interpret the comments like that at all. If that’s the case kind of no big deal other than the fact it seems to indicate kk doesn’t know which receiver is beat suited to which route.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
that does not definitively say they’re on the same side. If anything I interpreted “that side” as being the side of the play the desired route is designed for.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So that's not changing the play AT ALL. Not even a little bit. Just who is running the route.
Sure it is. Okay design also takes into account personnel. If kliff calls a play and hop is the primary read in that play kliff is calling for it to go to hop,optimally, based on the matchup and down and distance or setting the defender up for something later. Swapping who gets it has a number of ways to change the play. Maybe green doesn’t have the speed or cutting ability necessary for the route or for the distance, or maybe kliff is trying to set up hop’s defender for a subsequent play. Changing without kk’s input could have a number of unintended consequences.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is about KK, a former QB and long time creative OC, meshing with the brains and talent of KM, NUK and Green.

Im not getting that vibe.

More of Dhop and Green recognizing how silly this concept is to stay on one side of the field the entire game and making the smart decision to switch sides and routes then they see opponents keying in on their tendencies.

Nothing to do with Kliff outside of recognizing that his game planning is trash and adjusting accordingly

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
There shouldn't be a situation in play on the field where any WR is thinking "I should be running the cross from the right, not the out from the left. Let's switch". If they are at that stage then the coaches already aren't doing their job. Seeing as it's the coaches job to put his WR's in the best positions to succeed in the first place.
Not true.

I've heard quarterbacks and receivers talk about how they changed up a route on the fly.

I've heard Aaron Rodgers Peyton Manning and others talk about how they changed a route with just a signal from the receiver. After the play has been called and with no audible.

If they believe they have a certain advantage why not. And by the time they're on the sideline talking to the coaches the advantage may have passed.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Didn't say that at all, you did. I'm shocked at some folks reading comprehension skills but I guess it's an indictment of the American educational system

Guess "all the ranting without a single game played" means what to you? it reads like you think we can't talk (negative or otherwise) until a game is played.

You are a strange bird.