2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe OKC agreed to a buyout. They usually get draft picks for everything.

Knicks becoming Lakers of East coast.
With his contract and his knees (mostly his left knee), it might have taken Wall/Westbrook type circumstances to find a deal. And with all the picks they already have, saving the money is probably far more important right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With his contract and his knees (mostly his left knee), it might have taken Wall/Westbrook type circumstances to find a deal. And with all the picks they already have, saving the money is probably far more important right now.

Yeah, I was sort of having fun. OKC believes in holding assets until they get draft picks in return.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There goes another option.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Players remaining legitimately available who at least are better than nothing:

Ed Davis
Enes Kanter
Bismack Biyombo
Harry Giles
DeMarcus Cousins
Mo Wagner
Jordan Bell
Andre Iguodala
Kelly Oubre
Justice Winslow
Stanley Johnson
Paul Millsap
Mike Scott
Patrick Patterson
Ersan Ilyasova
Khem Birch
Victor Oladipo
Danny Green
JJ Redick
Dante Exum
Josh Hart
Raul Neto
Jeff Teague

Plus their own free agents in Kaminsky, Galloway and Moore.

Sad that it's come to this, with 4 roster spots still unfilled.

The Suns could have and should have done much better.
I would gladly take any 3 of the listed to replace Frank, Langston and Etwaan.

I'm m not a Frank fan at all. He way to inconsistent and the team flow drops when he's in.

Galloway is gone, he wasn't a factor for us and wants way more playing time.

Moore, was more or less a stop gap and like Frank, offensive flow dripped when he was in.

Say no to our 3 and grab 3 others.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would gladly take any 3 of the listed to replace Frank, Langston and Etwaan.

I'm m not a Frank fan at all. He way to inconsistent and the team flow drops when he's in.

Galloway is gone, he wasn't a factor for us and wants way more playing time.

Moore, was more or less a stop gap and like Frank, offensive flow dripped when he was in.

Say no to our 3 and grab 3 others.
I wouldn't touch half the players on that list. And yes, Frank was too inconsistent but his off nights (or invisible nights) is why and when the team flow dropped. There were many nights when he outplayed most of our team. And for a 3rd string big man, I don't know that you're going to find better.

There are better players available than last year's borderline Suns but they want money and minutes, neither comes with the role of last guy off the bench. Also, for many players, giving them inconsistent minutes has a lot to do with inconsistent production. But looking over at that list, there are several that I'd be interested in unfortunately I'm not sure how many of them would fit here (money and PT issues).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where the Suns roster is at the moment. That's 12 counting Saric and Nader.

The Suns need to add at least two more players to get to 14 with an open roster spot.

PG: Chris Paul, Cam Payne
SG: Devin Booker, Landry Shamet
SF: Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Abdel Nader
PF: Jae Crowder, , Jalen Smith, Dario Saric (out)
C: Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Celtics improve their roster by adding Enes Kanter.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Celtics improve their roster by adding Enes Kanter.

He would have been a nice option here. Really hope we aren't stuck with having to bring back Kaminsky. We need someone who can play key minutes up front.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He would have been a nice option here. Really hope we aren't stuck with having to bring back Kaminsky. We need someone who can play key minutes up front.

At this point it looks like Frank is coming back.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Suns are not waiting until Thursday evening to add two players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns still need a ball handler and a 4/5.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point it may be BPA. I'd take Josh Hart. He can play.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I was really hoping we could get a couple effective ring chasers with minimum deals, or at least draw some more interest with the MLE, etc.

Apparently players still see other opportunities as more attractive then coming to Phx at this point.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about we do Josh Hart for remaing MLE or BAE and Frank Kaminsky for minimum. It still leaves the Suns some cash for another move later on. Hart can be the other ball handler.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are missing 3rd string PF and C! Lottery for the Bulls
And just like that, we aren't lottery bound anymore! Good thing too since we don't have a 1st round pick until like 2045 now. And this is a sneaky good signing for a backup big.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was really hoping we could get a couple effective ring chasers with minimum deals, or at least draw some more interest with the MLE, etc.

Apparently players still see other opportunities as more attractive then coming to Phx at this point.

Looking at the deals agreed upon by Paul, Payne and Nader, James Jones doesn't leave much meat on the bone. JaVale McGee went about market price... maybe a little more.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Looking at the deals agreed upon by Paul, Payne and Nader, James Jones doesn't leave much meat on the bone. JaVale McGee went about market price... maybe a little more.
After watching the Bucks demolish the Suns inside once Saric went down, I'm good with what they gave McGee. At least he tries to contest shots.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Better chance of that when the veterans hit the streets after the midseason trade deadline.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After watching the Bucks demolish the Suns inside once Saric went down, I'm good with what they gave McGee. At least he tries to contest shots.

I was commenting on what I consider market value to be. The Suns may have paid a little more to JaVale McGee because Chris Paul liked his work ethic.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was commenting on what I consider market value to be. The Suns may have paid a little more to JaVale McGee because Chris Paul liked his work ethic.
They also overpaid to keep his contract at one year.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
And just like that, we aren't lottery bound anymore! Good thing too since we don't have a 1st round pick until like 2045 now. And this is a sneaky good signing for a backup big.

I was being facetious, Bulls should compete for playoffs but every team in the east should

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teams are running out of money now. This is the time where a free agent that really wanted to get paid decides to sign with a contender instead and try again next year.

There are lots of pg's hanging out there. Schroeder, Jackson, Exum, FrankN, DSJr, Neto, Teague, Hill, Bradley. Filling a 3rd pg spot should not be hard. Most of these guys are going to have settle for an exception, part of an exception, or the minimum.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch half the players on that list. And yes, Frank was too inconsistent but his off nights (or invisible nights) is why and when the team flow dropped. There were many nights when he outplayed most of our team. And for a 3rd string big man, I don't know that you're going to find better.

There are better players available than last year's borderline Suns but they want money and minutes, neither comes with the role of last guy off the bench. Also, for many players, giving them inconsistent minutes has a lot to do with inconsistent production. But looking over at that list, there are several that I'd be interested in unfortunately I'm not sure how many of them would fit here (money and PT issues).

Serious question: Who would you prefer to get the 20 or so minutes at the back-up 4 (assuming you are content with Crowder starting)? That is the one spot where I still see regular major minutes still available on this roster, rather than spot minutes, situational minutes or insurance in the event of injury or foul trouble.