2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
@1Sun has a point with his criticism despite it being one note. Lots of teams are making big splashes and contenders are not afraid to pay the tax. Look at what Milwaukee did last year before they ever made the finals. If the Suns think they have a one year or two year window, it's hard to argue they are going all in with an effort to win a title.

Even Utah was a tax team last year. Of course big market teams like GSW, Brooklyn, LA, and Boston are never shy.

With the salary cap rules you can’t just overspend and become a tax payer. The only way to become a tax payer is to be at the salary cap and then re-sign your own players (or already be at the cap before paying available exception). That will happen when we re-sign Ayton and Bridges. Due to salary cap rules it would be almost impossible for us to be tax payers this year.

With our salary cap and what we have available it was literally impossible to make a “big splash” without trading our core pieces. I like big moves as much as the next guy, but there are certain realities. We have a 4.6 exception and a 3.7 exception left and the top 8 players in our rotation are set. To assume that “big splashes” are going to sign here despite significant playing time and/or money is unrealistic.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With our salary cap and what we have available it was literally impossible to make a “big splash” without trading our core pieces. I like big moves as much as the next guy, but there are certain realities. We have a 4.6 exception and a 3.7 exception left and the top 8 players in our rotation are set. To assume that “big splashes” are going to sign here despite significant playing time and/or money is unrealistic. With the salary cap rules you can’t just overspend and become a tax payer. The only way to become a tax payer is to be at the salary cap and then re-sign your own players (or already be at the cap before paying available exception). That will happen when we re-sign Ayton and Bridges. Due to salary cap rules it would be almost impossible for us to be tax payers this year.

What do you want to bet one or both of the BAE and DPE go unused?

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cmon man
Your owner and GM put this team together and they did the rest.
We finished number 2 and had 3 games we lost in the the final minute
Stop with the Sarver crap...you really think he gives 2 craps over 8 million?
1sun propaganda at its finest.
I have no issues with Sarver esp how he handled the last 2 yrs with a freaking pandemic.

JerkFace

Reaction score

BAE may go unused. You can’t use it 2 years in a row, so if there is no one worth using it on it would be smart to save it until next season. The DPE isn’t available to us yet. Saric still hasn’t even gone through surgery yet (it was reported to be sometime this week). After the surgery we can apply for it and then a 3rd party doctor will review it and it will only be awarded if there is 100% certainty he will be out for the complete season. That has no chance of happening anytime soon.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I don’t many teams making “big splashes” outside of Chicago and Miami. Philly hasn’t done much. Milwaukee hasn’t done a lot. Boston not much. In the west the Clippers not much, the Jazz brought back their guys, the Warriors will just be better by default, and the Mavs haven’t done a whole lot. Haven’t seen much from Portland. You could put the Lakers in there if you want but that’s just what they do every year. It just comes with the territory there. I see teams trying to plug holes and bring back players. The Suns have done both to this point and aren’t done yet. Everything is always quiet with James Jones so I’m just going to sit back and let him do his thing.

When it comes to the Suns, we’ve brought our guys back outside of Craig, added Shamet and McGee for depth and to fill gaps. With Dario out our last need will be for a PF to help but I’m sure JJ will find something. Im not too worried.

A big part of our success next season will be on how our young core continues to develop. They gained invaluable experience this post season and typically that parlays into improvement. Ayton, Bridges, and Cam J should all be better next season. Payne probably gets a little bigger role during the regular season to take minutes of Paul to keep him fresher and that should bode well for him as well.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Up in arms cause we wont spend 3.whatever or 4. Whatever on Bob Blowhard or Willy Whoever lol

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Craig was a significant loss. He could've been retained with his Bird rights and he only got 2/10m from Indy. He was instrumental to our playoff run. He was the only guy who could guard PG13 and seemed to always hit a clutch 3. It's still early but we are worse at the 3/4 without him.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think we might have to come to terms with the fact that the Suns will be rolling out the team that got blitzkrieged in the last 4 games of the finals, minus Craig and Carter, plus McGee and Shamet.

Ask yourselves honestly, is that roster better than the following, in their current state:

Lakers - competitive
Jazz - yes
Nuggets - yes
Mavericks - yes
Blazers - yes
Grizzlies - yes
Pelicans - yes
I think we're competitive with all of these teams. Barring injury, we should challenge for home court in the first round of the playoffs

Lakers have been the best team on paper in the west the past 2 seasons. With LeBron and AD they are still going to be one of the best in the west.

Jazz got a little exposed by the Clippers last year.

Nuggets need JM to return to full health

Mavs need to resolve the Porzingis fit

Blazers are treading water

Grizzlies and Pelicans are both young with good pieces. Grizzlies appear to be ready to make a step up and take a playoff spot.

You didn't include the warriors. I'm assuming you hate their team because Draymond is their big. If Klay is even 75% of what he was before injury, they will probably be one of the top 4 teams in the west.

JerkFace

Reaction score
I think Craig was a significant loss. He could've been retained with his Bird rights and he only got 2/10m from Indy. He was instrumental to our playoff run. He was the only guy who could guard PG13 and seemed to always hit a clutch 3. It's still early but we are worse at the 3/4 without him.

We didn’t have Craig’s bird rights. We had what is call non-bird rights with him. Which means we could go over the salary cap to re-sign him but in going that route we could only offer him a 120% raise of his current salary, which would of been less than what he signed with the Pacers for. I was a big fan of Craig though and was really hoping he would of come back.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think we're competitive with all of these teams. Barring injury, we should challenge for home court in the first round of the playoffs

Lakers have been the best team on paper in the west the past 2 seasons. With LeBron and AD they are still going to be one of the best in the west.

Jazz got a little exposed by the Clippers last year.

Nuggets need JM to return to full health

Mavs need to resolve the Porzingis fit

Blazers are treading water

Grizzlies and Pelicans are both young with good pieces. Grizzlies appear to be ready to make a step up and take a playoff spot.

You didn't include the warriors. I'm assuming you hate their team because Draymond is their big. If Klay is even 75% of what he was before injury, they will probably be one of the top 4 teams in the west.

I forgot about the Warriors (and Wiseman is their big, with Draymond and Paschall at the 4). If Klay Thompson is healthy, they are clearly better than us, in my opinion.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Craig loss was one I was pretty bummed about. I just really liked how he fit here. But, you can’t keep them all unfortunately.

In this case, they could have if they tried, in my opinion. It's not like that $5 million per season is currently being spent on another player.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We didn’t have Craig’s bird rights. We had what is call non-bird rights with him. Which means we could go over the salary cap to re-sign him but in going that route we could only offer him a 120% raise of his current salary, which would of been less than what he signed with the Pacers for. I was a big fan of Craig though and was really hoping he would of come back.

Why couldn't we have used part of our MLE on him?

JerkFace

Reaction score
We could of, assuming he was willing to take 2 years at 9.4 to stay. I have no knowledge of his personal preference on if he was willing to take that to be here, or if he wanted a little more and preferred Indiana for his own personal reasons.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't know if we even offered him a deal. You have zero clue what the front office is doing and that's been proven time and time again by each move being made catching you by surprise. So quit saying what they or they aren't doing.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jared Vanderbilt and Lou Williams is who I am hoping for at this point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jared Vanderbilt and Lou Williams is who I am hoping for at this point.
I think Jarred is restricted and the Wolves are likely to match any reasonable offer for him, Williams would be okay but I don't know how much he has left in the tank.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lou Williams had a few good games for Atlanta in the playoffs but I don't see how he'd fit here. Payne and Shamet offer more than he does at this point.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lou Williams had a few good games for Atlanta in the playoffs but I don't see how he'd fit here. Payne and Shamet offer more than he does at this point.
Shamet does not offer more than him.

lou can actually handle the ball, create his own shot and somewhat run the offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bryn Forbes is a good acquisition by Spurs.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Collins gets 5 year, $125 million extension.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Players remaining legitimately available who at least are better than nothing:

Ed Davis
Enes Kanter
Bismack Biyombo
Harry Giles
DeMarcus Cousins
Mo Wagner
Jordan Bell
Andre Iguodala
Kelly Oubre
Justice Winslow
Stanley Johnson
Paul Millsap
Mike Scott
Patrick Patterson
Ersan Ilyasova
Khem Birch
Victor Oladipo
Danny Green
JJ Redick
Dante Exum
Josh Hart
Raul Neto
Jeff Teague

Plus their own free agents in Kaminsky, Galloway and Moore.

Sad that it's come to this, with 4 roster spots still unfilled.

The Suns could have and should have done much better.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why Josh Hart is still available. He can shoot and is a surprisingly good rebounder at 6'5". Hart averaged 8 rebounds per game this past season.

I like Raul Neto and Jeff Teague at point guard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose