2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I won't make this personal the way you are here. I will simply remind you how critical to this team's success Saric was in the first half of the regular season, and how critical to this team's success Craig was in the second half of the regular season. Take those two off the roster for the entire season, and this team probably wins 10-15 fewer games at least.

Now ask yourself: Are McGee and Shamet worth 10-15 wins?

Even if your answer is "yes" (and I don't see how it possibly could be), replicating last year's regular season would also depend on all of the other teams being equally unlucky on the injury front, with none of the other teams improving their rosters.

The fact of the matter is that on the cusp of a championship, the Suns, having lost two critical cogs, are electing to stand pat while every other contender in the West is improving.

I will grant you that in re-signing Paul and Payne and replacing Saric with McGee and Carter with Shamet, the Suns won't be substantively worse. But this close to a championship, and with only a two or three year window to win one with Chris Paul, is anyone here honestly satisfied with "not substantively worse", as opposed to "significantly improved", particularly when other contenders ARE significantly improved?
Or the sky is falling doesnt quite bother some of us as it does you. I believe in April you had us losing 18 of our last 24 to miss the playoffs....cause that's what it would have took. But we were in play for the best record the last day.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
ISun’s hysteria aside, I am disappointed that we haven’t gone after a second big hard in FA and if we did, failed to land one. There have been guys who have gone on to sign minimum deals we could have used.
The only min guy that I think is with anything is Jeff Green. I don't know if we made an offer or didn't even try.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
is Millsap worth a look? He fits old vet maybe willing to take a small role on a contender…

He has nothing at all left in the tank. That being said, even he would be an improvement over Stix or playing a shooting guard at power forward.

Don't get your hopes up, though. At this point, Sarver seems hell-bent on not adding to this roster, except bodies on the cheap.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hollinger PF statistics have The Tank ranked 22nd out of all PFs
Hes higher than most the dudes we even discussing. I bet Monty regrets not playing him sooner and longer as The Tank had great games against Milwaukee already

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hes higher than most the dudes we even discussing. I bet Monty regrets not playing him sooner and longer as The Tank had great games against Milwaukee already

You must have missed how he totally shat the bad when Monty did play him in the Finals, starting with the first half of Game 1. It was ugly...as in fans booing him off the court ugly.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He has nothing at all left in the tank. That being said, even he would be an improvement over Stix or playing a shooting guard at power forward.

Don't get your hopes up, though. At this point, Sarver seems hell-bent on not adding to this roster, except bodies on the cheap.
Keeping the defending WCF champions
Intact for a few more yrs and planning to extend Ayton and Bridges is not cheap.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You must have missed how he totally shat the bad when Monty did play him in the Finals, starting with the first half of Game 1. It was ugly...as in fans booing him off the court ugly.
Oh the game we won...yeah I do.
I remember him keeping us in the game in game 6 as Ayton shat the bed...it happens. Great cherry pick job though

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh the game we won...yeah I do.
I remember him keeping us in the game in game 6 as Ayton shat the bed...it happens. Great cherry pick job though

We only won that game because Monty took Kaminsky out and never put him back in. It was like a switch going off the moment he was removed. I was there.

And CP3, not Frank, is who kept the Suns in the game in Game 6. Or did you not see Giannis go off for 50?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We only won that game because Monty took Kaminsky out and never put him back in. It was like a switch going off the moment he was removed. I was there.

And CP3, not Frank, is who kept the Suns in the game in Game 6. Or did you not see Giannis go off for 50?

We were up by 8 after the 1st half, Frank played 4 minutes in the second quarter and we didn't lose a single point of the lead. He also didn't take any shots or turn it over. He was never booed off the floor. You live in a fantasy land.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I would still like to get Nance but they’re not taking Saric or Crowder and we can’t trade picks. Surprised Markkanen is still out there. Just wrap up Avery Bradley and call it an off-season.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I won't make this personal the way you are here. I will simply remind you how critical to this team's success Saric was in the first half of the regular season, and how critical to this team's success Craig was in the second half of the regular season. Take those two off the roster for the entire season, and this team probably wins 10-15 fewer games at least.

Wait a second… I wasn’t going to respond to your utter stupidity any more, but I can’t pass this up. You literally just said that Saric (for the first half) and Craig (for the second half) were solely responsible for 30% (at least) of the team‘s wins!?!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (deep breath) hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We were up by 8 after the 1st half, Frank played 4 minutes in the second quarter and we didn't lose a single point of the lead. He also didn't take any shots or turn it over. He was never booed off the floor. You live in a fantasy land.

Pretty much everyone in my section (and each of the two sections to either side of it) was screaming constantly for Monty to take Frank out, as he committed one blunder after another. The play of the entire team bogged down while he was in. The Suns would have been up by 20 at the half had Frank not played.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wait a second… I wasn’t going to respond to your utter stupidity any more, but I can’t pass this up. You literally just said that Saric (for the first half) and Craig (for the second half) were solely responsible for 30% (at least) of the team‘s wins!?!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (deep breath) hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Take a look back at the board's comments, particularly all of the "Super Dario" references and the references to Craig being a lifesaving acquisition.

It's all actually documented on this very board.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Take a look back at the board's comments, particularly all of the "Super Dario" references and the references to Craig being a lifesaving acquisition.

It's all actually documented on this very board.

I will totally be fine with taking a ban for this…. but you have officially crossed the line from being a troll to being a F’ing moron if you are standing behind the stupid assertion that Dario and Craig were solely responsible for 30% of the teams wins.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It really is unbelievable how fortunate the Lakers franchise is continually. They offered Shroeder $84M and he turned it down. I wish that contract was hanging around their neck.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
He also has Saric at 28....also, if you look, that list was for last season 20-21 not this upcoming 21-22 season. We ALL know Dario is WAY better than Frank.http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pf

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I will totally be fine with taking a ban for this…. but you have officially crossed the line from being a troll to being a F’ing moron if you are standing behind the stupid assertion that Dario and Craig were solely responsible for 30% of the teams wins.

I never said "solely". Obviously there is a domino effect when key rotation players are lost (or gained).

By themselves, per basketball-reference.com, Dario was solely responsible for 1.7 wins, while Craig in his time with the Suns was solely responsible for 1.8 wins. (By the way, Jevon Carter was responsible for 1.6 wins, Landry Shamet was responsible for 1.8 wins, and Javale McGee was responsible for 1 win, so strictly in terms of net Win Shares, the Suns have actually LOST 2.3 wins this offseason.)

In terms of just the impact of each "solely", that decreases the Suns win total last regular season from 51 to 47...which would have been good enough for 4th in the West, not 2nd.

Last edited:

JerkFace

Reaction score
Take those two off the roster for the entire season, and this team probably wins 10-15 fewer games at least.

I never said "solely". Obviously there is a domino effect when key rotation players are lost (or gained).

Now you are just contradicting yourself. I apologize to the board for feeding the troll.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Enes Kanter is still out there. He would really provide rebounding even though he's not a defender or shooter.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now you are just contradicting yourself. I apologize to the board for feeding the troll.

Again you neglect the domino effect in losing two key rotation players and not fully replacing them.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@1Sun has a point with his criticism despite it being one note. Lots of teams are making big splashes and contenders are not afraid to pay the tax. Look at what Milwaukee did last year before they ever made the finals. If the Suns think they have a one year or two year window, it's hard to argue they are going all in with an effort to win a title.

Even Utah was a tax team last year. Of course big market teams like GSW, Brooklyn, LA, and Boston are never shy.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If your gonna pay the tax get a good player. Jeff Green is the only one I'm giving good money....the rest? Blah
I'm good with the tank and jae.
It's just another topic for 1sun to complete obsess over. It dont matter if we 2...4...or seeded 6th. We took care of our business in the regular season and made it all the way to the finals with what we have.