2021 NBA Draft Prospects Thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't put much stock in the "unathletic " label for big men. Sabonis & Jokic were hit with that label and look at them now. If someone is skilled then they can make it in NBA. It's the raw players who are unathletic you stay away from. Luka's motor and strength should help.

If we acquire a 2nd rounder I would look at Bassey and Garza, Dosunmu would be my pick at #29.
Sabonis is MUCH more athletic than garza. And jokic is bigger and a much better player. MUCH more skilled.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sabonis is MUCH more athletic than garza. And jokic is bigger and a much better player. MUCH more skilled.
Go read their draft write ups. Sabonis and Jokic were deemed to slow to succeed in NBA, both didn't have outside range they developed since arriving in NBA. Obviously they worked on their game to overcome that, Garza could get get better over time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Go read their draft write ups. Sabonis and Jokic were deemed to slow to succeed in NBA, both didn't have outside range they developed since arriving in NBA. Obviously they worked on their game to overcome that, Garza could get get better over time.
You can read their write ups. I’ll rely on having actually watched all three of them play basketball.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NBA teams have trouble getting first round picks right let alone second round picks. I didn't know who Garza was going into the GCU-Iowa game and he immediately caught my eye.

Anyway, if he goes at #55 whoever drafts him is not taking much risk.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an interesting note, only one of the Bucks players who just won a title were lottery picks and that's Brook Lopez. With Jokic also winning MVP this season, I think this season is a great example of why you shouldn't write anyone, or any team, off because of their draft position.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
NBA teams have trouble getting first round picks right let alone second round picks. I didn't know who Garza was going into the GCU-Iowa game and he immediately caught my eye.

Anyway, if he goes at #55 whoever drafts him is not taking much risk.
You are spot on about Miles McBride (in the other thread). A bunch of teams are going to regret passing on him if he goes late first.

He's not afraid to shoot or attack. And yet he seems to be patient as he waits for holes to open up for smart shots. Lots of jump shots brought down his FG% to 43%. Very good 3 pt shooter. Sneaky good handles. Good in traffic. Not a lot of lift around the rim but had great positioning of his body. Very heady. Has a high game IQ. Great prospect to come off the bench as a score first PG. If posting up PGs were a hot commodity this kid would go 1st in the draft. He has a couple of jaw dropping highlights in the post. This kid is strong.

Do NOT look at his stats when evaluating his D. They only tell a small fraction of the story. Yes, he's a steal magnet, but he's OH SO MUCH more than that. This guy is always in the right place at the right time. In the OSU Big 12 game I counted 6 altered shots in the first 10 minutes. They missed all 6. He's a great rotating defender and made Cunningham's life miserable in that game when he was on him.

He reminds me of Marcus Smart, but a better shooter. A genuine steal at #29.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are spot on about Miles McBride (in the other thread). A bunch of teams are going to regret passing on him if he goes late first.

He's not afraid to shoot or attack. And yet he seems to be patient as he waits for holes to open up for smart shots. Lots of jump shots brought down his FG% to 43%. Very good 3 pt shooter. Sneaky good handles. Good in traffic. Not a lot of lift around the rim but had great positioning of his body. Very heady. Has a high game IQ. Great prospect to come off the bench as a score first PG. If posting up PGs were a hot commodity this kid would go 1st in the draft. He has a couple of jaw dropping highlights in the post. This kid is strong.

Do NOT look at his stats when evaluating his D. They only tell a small fraction of the story. Yes, he's a steal magnet, but he's OH SO MUCH more than that. This guy is always in the right place at the right time. In the OSU Big 12 game I counted 6 altered shots in the first 10 minutes. They missed all 6. He's a great rotating defender and made Cunningham's life miserable in that game when he was on him.

Just from the videos he reminded me more of a 33/34 year old Chris Paul.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Suns could certainly do worse than McBride at 29. That said, I don't see him lasting that late.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I watched some of McBride's videos again today. I really like him. His defense stands out not to mention his offense. If the Suns can keep Payne and add McBride I like their depth at point guard. Yes, his mid-range game made me think of Chris Paul.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
McBride’s quick release gives him the potential to be a devastating shooter. Funny his Ringer comp is between Jrue Holiday and Javon Carter. If he falls smack dab in the middle he’d be worthy of a top-10 pick.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I watched some of McBride's videos again today. I really like him. His defense stands out not to mention his offense. If the Suns can keep Payne and add McBride I like their depth at point guard. Yes, his mid-range game made me think of Chris Paul.
Miles also boasts some solid measurements compared to other PG prospects:

1. the largest hand size at 9.00 (top 10 overall)
2. the largest +/- wingspan at +6 (which is probably top 5 among all prospects). Mikael Bridges is also +6.
3. the highest vertical at a respectable 38.5 (top 15 overall)

As always, these don't tell the whole story. But when you combine them with his game film you get a clearer picture of his potential. And a +6 wingspan for a guy already committed to D is a major plus.

I'm hoping Butler, Ayo, Miles, or Queta fall to us at #29.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2. the largest +/- wingspan at +6 (which is probably top 5 among all prospects). Mikael Bridges is also +6.

As always, these don't tell the whole story. But when you combine them with his game film you get a clearer picture of his potential. And a +6 wingspan for a guy already committed to D is a major plus.

This sounds like a good list. Now that I have my hope up for McBride I'm beginning to think he won't be there. I noticed Queta seems to be wearing knee coverings of some sort. Do you know if this is a concern?

There is also this big center out there that moves pretty good that may not get drafted. I forget his name at the moment but his measurements are off the chart. It would be good if the Suns could bring in someone like this as a free agent.

Edit: That could be Jericho Sims I'm thinking about.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Due to the playoff run by the Suns I am just now starting to do a deep dive into the draft. From what I remember from the college season as well as doing some cursory research here is the list of names that I think may be available that I plan on doing a deep dive into. Anyone I missed that I should check out (or someone on the list that I shouldn’t bother with)?

Tre Mann
Greg Brown
Jared Butler
Trey Murphy III
Isaiah Jackson
Day’Ron Sharpe
Bones Hyland
Jaden Springer
Miles McBride
*Joel Ayayi

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Due to the playoff run by the Suns I am just now starting to do a deep dive into the draft. From what I remember from the college season as well as doing some cursory research here is the list of names that I think may be available that I plan on doing a deep dive into. Anyone I missed that I should check out (or someone on the list that I shouldn’t bother with)?

Tre Mann
Greg Brown
Jared Butler
Trey Murphy III
Isaiah Jackson
Day’Ron Sharpe
Bones Hyland
Jaden Springer
Miles McBride

I'd add Joel Ayayi. I think the mocks should have him ranked higher.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Queta will almost certainly be available, as he is raw and not particularly athletic. Think poor man's Jhalil Okafor. The other three will almost certainly be gone.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are some good pg prospects this draft. Ayo, Mann, Miles, Butler, Ayayi, Bones. Cooper is another kid who is interesting and I saw an interview where he compared himself to CP3…

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Queta will almost certainly be available, as he is raw and not particularly athletic. Think poor man's Jhalil Okafor. The other three will almost certainly be gone.
I don't expect anything more from Queta than I see on film. He already shows specific elements to his game that would make him a potentially fluid backup to DA. These are:

Plays straight up post D, minimizes fouls.
Great rim protector and rebounder
Solid alley oop finisher and efficient scorer
Great passer from post
Sweet hook shot in the post
Good PnR O player

Good all around game for a back up C

While its true that he is raw and has some awkward coordination (and oh so horrible at perimeter D), there's enough there to take a risk in the late first. It will certainly depend on who's available.

One caveat I have is that it will take him a few years to get his NBA legs. There's a reasonable chance that he pulls a Richaun Holmes and leaves before you get your draft value. But that's almost always the case with big men.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are some good pg prospects this draft. Ayo, Mann, Miles, Butler, Ayayi, Bones. Cooper is another kid who is interesting and I saw an interview where he compared himself to CP3…

Cooper is more Cam Payne than CP3.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

Sharife Cooper
Grade A passer.
Grade A handles.
Grade F shooter.

The guy is dynamic in every aspect of the game except shooting. But hey, if Lonzo can fix his shot, ANYONE can.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Getting a PGOTF prospect slipping to #29 because he can’t shoot is intriguing. They can be patient with him developing a shot. If it’s a wing or big they’d need him to be rotation ready unlike J Smith.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... this team REALLY needs Jalen Smith to be a bench contributor next season. Whiffing on a lotto pick would blow, especially seeing as we’re an actual contender and he fits the EXACT NEED we’re looking for.

that said, not holding my breath there and I hope the team isn’t either as far as pursuing another legit big man presence on the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose