OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith

Congratulations to you Russ on getting Klay Thompson back. I know it meant a lot to you.

It's not such good news for the rest of the NBA.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think anybody thinks the Warriors are a juggernaut they're still a very small team. If you saw the game last night Cleveland often has Markkanen, Mobley and Allen on the court at the same time basically 3 7 footers. At one point last night the 2 tallest Warriors were Wiggins and Iggy. That's why getting Wiseman back is important although it's not clear how much he'll play, they need some size.

But Klay's impact was immediate. In the 2nd half he came in during a dead ball, they inbounded to Porter he faked a handoff to Klay for a 3, went to the basket drew the help and passed to Steph in the corner for a wide open 3 swish. That play worked because Klay was on the court and the defense was worried about his 3 off the handoff.
Everyone will get better shots now even Steph.

As a Warrior fan, who are you most concerned with come playoff time in the West?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping the Suns might be able to pick up a shooter/point guard like Kyle Guy on a two-way contract but it looks like the Heat are keeping him on a second 10-day contract.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Golden State is good but they don't scare me much. They rely so much on Steph performing that they're totally beatable in a 7 game series.

Part of why they've taken us to task in previous matchup is how this team concedes games when they're losing. This Suns team doesn't lose close games, they get blown out. I think part of that is by design because they're saving themselves. Why go all out in game 27 of the season. I believe we'll see them get better as the season goes on in that regard because games will mean more and more.

Just so I'm not misinterpreted, I'm not saying Golden State would make an easy opponent. I just don't see them as this insurmountable juggernaut. I'd definitely bet on a healthy Suns team in a 7 games series, especially if we had home court.
Huh? They are tied for the #1 record, got an all-star back and have proven despite their size they can beat any team in the NBA on any given night. If teams are not afraid of GS they are idiots. I am going to call it now. The Suns cannot beat GS in a 7 game series as the roster stands.

Quote me if it happens.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh? They are tied for the #1 record, got an all-star back and have proven despite their size they can beat any team in the NBA on any given night. If teams are not afraid of GS they are idiots. I am going to call it now. The Suns cannot beat GS in a 7 game series as the roster stands.

Quote me if it happens.

They're a good team. I don't mean to come across like I'm discounting that. I just don't believe the Suns should be that concerned about them. I definitely don't believe the Suns can't beat them in 7 game series.

Getting Klay back might help them some but ill need to see more to believe it. He's been out for over 2 full seasons. He hasn't played since the Finals when they lost to Toronto with Kawhi. That's a long time away and he's on the other side of 30. Calling him an All-Star is like calling Derrick Rose an MVP. He was but chances are he won't be one again.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're a good team. I don't mean to come across like I'm discounting that. I just don't believe the Suns should be that concerned about them. I definitely don't believe the Suns can't beat them in 7 game series.

Getting Klay back might help them some but ill need to see more to believe it. He's been out for over 2 full seasons. He hasn't played since the Finals when they lost to Toronto with Kawhi. That's a long time away and he's on the other side of 30. Calling him an All-Star is like calling Derrick Rose an MVP. He was but chances are he won't be one again.

I think the Suns primary concern should be staying healthy, getting the best available players and peaking at the right time.

They need to be concerned most on what they can control.

The best team will be determined on the court.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They beat us at home, with two important starters out and Curry shooting like crap (10-27) while we were totally healthy.

And I have to believe you just haven’t paid that much attention to them if you think the rely so much on Steph, because reality is he’s actually not even having that great of a season, especially compared to last season. he’s down significantly across the board in every category compared to last year where he averaged 33 ppg on 48% overall and 42% from 3 whereas now he’s averaging 27 ppg on 42% overall and 38% from 3. This is actually his worst year by far shooting the ball in his entire career.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They beat us at home, with two important starters out and Curry shooting like crap (10-27) while we were totally healthy.

And I have to believe you just haven’t paid that much attention to them if you think the rely so much on Steph, because reality is he’s actually not even having that great of a season, especially compared to last season. he’s down significantly across the board in every category compared to last year where he averaged 33 ppg on 48% overall and 42% from 3 whereas now he’s averaging 27 ppg on 42% overall and 38% from 3. This is actually his worst year by far shooting the ball in his entire career.
Yep...this and still killing teams. If people don't think having Klay back (even only putting up around 15 per game) is going to be huge lift and take pressure off other players? I don't know what to say. Golden State is scary to play in the playoffs.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep...this and still killing teams. If people don't think having Klay back (even only putting up around 15 per game) is going to be huge lift and take pressure off other players? I don't know what to say. Golden State is scary to play in the playoffs.
One game doesn't make a season. Let's see how the rusty legs hold on over a season.

And the Warriors games have had great games from others who will now be getting less minutes.

Are they scary? OK. Are the Suns scary? Yes as well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One game doesn't make a season. Let's see how the rusty legs hold on over a season.

And the Warriors games have had great games from others who will now be getting less minutes.

Are they scary? OK. Are the Suns scary? Yes as well.
Klay was averaging almost 20 points for his career. I am taking him being "rusty" into consideration which is why I said around 15 PPG. Which IMO still takes a ton of pressure off of Steph and other guys. Also, who said anything about the Suns not being scary? Not me. I was only countering that GS wouldn't be scary and likely beat us in a seven game series.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can Steph stay healthy? That was their biggest concern before Klay coming back. Steph was looking ragged there for a bit, and i think he had a minor injury? Klay definitely will keep the other fresh and the opposing teams defense even more honest.

Oh, it was nice to see the Klay drive and dunk. Did he dunk yes, was it his normal explosion, no. I dont think he'll do that often. I remember thinking Amare was back when he'd have an amazing dunk here and there but it was just never the same.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The suns can beat them - if Curry gets hurt.

Short of that, I don't really see it right now, and I really want to.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suns can beat them - if Curry gets hurt.

Short of that, I don't really see it right now, and I really want to.
And right now, I'd agree. But I don't believe we've seen the real Suns this year for more than a few minutes at a time.

Maybe CP3 has slowed another quarter step (it looks like it defensively most nights) and Bridges just hasn't been the same since he dislocated his finger (confidence?) and Booker/DA might both be focused more on their private lives than on their game (no consistency) but the glimpses we see of this team give me hope. The disappointing Boston, LAC, GSW and Miami games give me indigestion.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow the Grizz are on a 9 game winning streak, are 4th in the west now. Also shocking the Mavs are 5th and the Clippers are 9th.

Loving the Lakers as the 7th seed, and they have the 3rd toughest schedule remaining.

The suns have the 26th toughest schedule and Warriors are 21st, probably not much in difference.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And right now, I'd agree. But I don't believe we've seen the real Suns this year for more than a few minutes at a time.

Maybe CP3 has slowed another quarter step (it looks like it defensively most nights) and Bridges just hasn't been the same since he dislocated his finger (confidence?) and Booker/DA might both be focused more on their private lives than on their game (no consistency) but the glimpses we see of this team give me hope. The disappointing Boston, LAC, GSW and Miami games give me indigestion.

We agree on this. The Suns are out of sync. Hopefully when they get their rotation figured out after their most recent bout with health and safety protocols they will find some rhythm.

The Suns are much like a family. They are best when they are all together and on the same page. It's going to be interesting to see if they make any changes as the trade deadline nears and the inevitable buyouts.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yet the Suns and the Warriors have the same record, with the Suns also have had numerous players (including three big men at once) out.

The Regular season is a grind. Teams/players will have off nights. Your points on CP3 and Bridges are valid, yet other players have exceeded expectations.

My biggest worry is the backup point guard spot. Payne has been sub par.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet the Suns and the Warriors have the same record, with the Suns also have had numerous players (including three big men at once) out.

The Regular season is a grind. Teams/players will have off nights. Your points on CP3 and Bridges are valid, yet other players have exceeded expectations.

My biggest worry is the backup point guard spot. Payne has been sub par.
Yep, despite our letdowns we're still tied for the best record in the league. But we've caught more good breaks than bad and some of our more embarrassing performances have come up with our primary lineup intact.

I see reason for concern but right now, I still see more reason for hope. Although I worry about Monty paying close enough attention to his rotation options, something he's admitted to falling short on in the past.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, despite our letdowns we're still tied for the best record in the league. But we've caught more good breaks than bad and some of our more embarrassing performances have come up with our primary lineup intact.

I see reason for concern but right now, I still see more reason for hope. Although I worry about Monty paying close enough attention to his rotation options, something he's admitted to falling short on in the past.
I agree on the Monty part - hopefully Stix isn't relegated to 3 minutes a game, and Monty can work with Payne to get him to control himself, and quickly pull him if he can't.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The teams fundamental flaw is it's seeming inability to rebound.

I think this is a personel issue, and our best players are not going to change. GS lineup is more athletic and are just better rebounders.

We don't seem to have the ability to punish Golden State with our size, and our small line up is inferior to theirs - so I don't see much hope if the teams as we know them now match up in the playoffs.

So unless GS is knocked out by another team, seems unlikely or they lose some players I don't see much hope, because I would be stunned if the Suns make any kind of meaningful change at the deadline.

There is always a chance like if GS has 4 bad shooting games in one series and the Suns don't but that is very unlikely.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think this is a personel issue, and our best players are not going to change. GS lineup is more athletic and are just better rebounders.

We don't seem to have the ability to punish Golden State with our size, and our small line up is inferior to theirs - so I don't see much hope if the teams as we know them now match up in the playoffs.

So unless GS is knocked out by another team, seems unlikely or they lose some players I don't see much hope, because I would be stunned if the Suns make any kind of meaningful change at the deadline.

There is always a chance like if GS has 4 bad shooting games in one series and the Suns don't but that is very unlikely.

I'd put most of this on Bridges and Crowder. When they're off, offensively, we as a team are trying to find points at those positions they fill. Neither of these guys are tremendous at the filling in the primary stats such as rebounds, steals, assists and blocks. Crowder really lacks length and athleticism while bridges lacks size/mass.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think our primary issue against GS is that it kind of necessitates moving away a bit from our primarily guard-driven offense. The best opportunity to attack them is to go heavily into the post with ayton/mcgee/stix and drive the lane due to the lack of rim protectors.

The issues with that plan of attack are:

A) Ayton still isn’t consistent enough to really rely on him to carry the offense and we don’t know when we will get bad hands Ayton. He’s also shown a reluctance to attack draymond. Mcgee just isn’t consistent enough as a go-to, get your own shot, offensive player. Neither is Stix yet.

B) Our forwards (Bridges, cam, crowder) really aren’t put the ball on the floor and attack the rim type players.

C) our primary ball handlers (Paul and Booker) are adept at getting into the lane, but not at getting all the way to the rim (hence their reliance and expertise in the midrange). Payne may be best suited for this role, but he’s unreliable this season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quote me if it happens.

The key to the Warriors is despite reputation this year they largely win on defense. Yes when they lose they usually shoot terribly from 3 but they win lots of times when they don't shoot GREAT from 3 either. Because of the defense. Klay struggled a bit defensively first game, got blown by for a dunk on the baseline one time but he has a history of being a good defender so even if he's not all the way back, and he won't be, he probably won't hurt the defense. The question on that is Wiseman if he gets back and gets PT he HAS to be better defensively than he was last year or he WILL hurt the defense.