2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are saying the Lakers can draft well, just can't develop it...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Lakers are not going anywhere this way. They need to trade both LeBron and AD and rebuild from scratch. Who knows. Maybe they could pick up a few decent young players like DeAngelo Russell, Lonzo Ball, Julius Randle, and Brandon Ingram. That would be a nice young core to start with. Maybe get back a few picks too.

Take that young core and add an energetic defensive center like JaVale McGee and you would have a competitive team with a future. Better than what they have now.
Lol. So time travel.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers should have tried snagging McCollum, Dinwiddie, or even Porzingis at the deadline. Standing pat was a huge mistake. I know they don't have much to offer but I think they could have snagged someone of value. Perhaps a couple younger players to showcase in hopes they can deal them for value this offseason.

It's quite enjoyable to see them this bad without any real hope for the future. Perhaps they can fleece a team like NY for picks if they send them Davis. That's their best bet.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers should have tried snagging McCollum, Dinwiddie, or even Porzingis at the deadline. Standing pat was a huge mistake. I know they don't have much to offer but I think they could have snagged someone of value. Perhaps a couple younger players to showcase in hopes they can deal them for value this offseason.

It's quite enjoyable to see them this bad without any real hope for the future. Perhaps they can fleece a team like NY for picks if they send them Davis. That's their best bet.
They do not have anything to offer. They could not try to get anyone, and they are no longer a free agent destination. I was not kidding about blowing it up. They really need to do that. Trade LeBron and AD.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers are not going anywhere this way. They need to trade both LeBron and AD and rebuild from scratch. Who knows. Maybe they could pick up a few decent young players like DeAngelo Russell, Lonzo Ball, Julius Randle, and Brandon Ingram. That would be a nice young core to start with. Maybe get back a few picks too.

Take that young core and add an energetic defensive center like JaVale McGee and you would have a competitive team with a future. Better than what they have now.

That’s some good young talent but I think they would need a really solid glue guy. Just a really good defender who knows his role maybe an Alex Caruso type.

It’s pretty funny all those ex Lakers are doing pretty damn well

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They seriously don’t have anything of value on that team other than Lebron and AD. Why would a team give up young prospects or even good players for any of the Lakers players because it can’t be draft picks they don’t have any of those for years

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They seriously don’t have anything of value on that team other than Lebron and AD. Why would a team give up young prospects or even good players for any of the Lakers players because it can’t be draft picks they don’t have any of those for years
They sold their souls (and future) to Klutch.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's not like Portland got quality in return for McCollum, for example.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Veteran players asking management new teammates.

LeBron wanted Russ.
CP3 wanted JaVale and Craig (and Payton, ugh).

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They got more than the Lakers could offer, mostly cap space. Lakers have 5 players making more than the min, unless you're advocating for them to trade either LeBron or AD they have no realistic way for trading for someone making 30mil+ per year without including Russ who is an extreme negative. THT and Nunn are the only other guys making more than the min and THT is a bad contract. They likely could have packaged them with some min contract for Bertans, but not Dinwiddie who has a better contract structure.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What in the world was Portland thinking when they traded McCollum for that potpourri.

Pelicans made out like bandits. I bet they are still laughing.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What in the world was Portland thinking when they traded McCollum for that potpourri.

Pelicans made out like bandits. I bet they are still laughing.

They were thinking of having a potential 48m in cap space to rebuild the team around Dame.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were thinking of having a potential 48m in cap space to rebuild the team around Dame.

That's exactly what they were thinking but giving up a star for low value is a bad idea. This summer they would have received a boatload of assets for him. I guess they figured it would help them tank but still a terrible idea.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As a Suns fan who just got done watching us try to rebuild for a decade, I don't see the real value there. Who are they going to sign? No one who makes them a contender. No one is lining up to go to Portland and especially with fewer quality players there.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As a Suns fan who just got done watching us try to rebuild for a decade, I don't see the real value there. Who are they going to sign? No one who makes them a contender. No one is lining up to go to Portland and especially with fewer quality players there.

I'm not advocating for it but it's better than the negative contracts the Lakers could offer.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not advocating for it but it's better than the negative contracts the Lakers could offer.

About the only option I saw for the Lakers is trading Russell Westbrook for John Wall and the Lakers reportedly didn't want to add or swap a pick.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
About the only option I saw for the Lakers is trading Russell Westbrook for John Wall and the Lakers reportedly didn't want to add or swap a pick.

Yeah, that is really the only option. Trading Westbrook for an equally bad contract but Houston has no reason to make the move without incentive since they don't really care one way or the other.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen Curry will be re-evaluated in 2 weeks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The lakers think they’re sellers when they’re actually buyers. Also imo players league wide might not like front office personnel. The Buss’ and rob, unfortunately the coach is the one who usually gets the ax.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The return of Michael Porter Jr. and Jamal Murray is not imminent.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Pacers win over the Rockets, Jalen Smith was 8-9 from the field for 17 points and 10 rebounds.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Craig as well but it wouldn't necessarily have to be either-or.
I'm not sure how we could have made that deal without Smith involved? I guess we could have given away another future number one but given that we were losing Jalen in a couple of months, this seems like the way to go.

Long term, Indiana likely got the much better end of this deal but for our immediate needs we couldn't expect a better return IMO. We did well to salvage anything of value from our failure to extend Smith.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson