2020 Draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is more about the pre-draft process.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could be a blessing to miss the playoffs this year. If the league does try to do something, whether fans are present or not, then the players who make it deep in the "postseason" will have less time to rest for next season. I can see the league going with a late start next season but I doubt they'll push the start date too far because they're already missing out on revenue now. The last thing anyone wants, players or owners, is another season that only gives 70% of the projected revenue because the season was too short.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Georgios Kalatzaikos enters the draft. He moves so well on the court. Supposedly a shooting guard but looks like he can play point guard and he is 6' 7".

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from ESPN on Kalatzaikos:

Kalaitzakis, the No. 96 prospect in the ESPN Top 100, had a productive season in Lithuania with Nevezis, averaging 12.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 29 minutes per game. He led the U20 European Championship in scoring this past summer at 19.7 points per game, ahead of projected top-five pick Deni Avdija.

Standing 6-foot-7 with a 6-foot-11 wingspan, Kalaitzakis has excellent physical tools for a guard prospect. He led the U20 European Championship at free throw attempts, but also ranked in the top 10 in assists, as he's seen quite a few minutes throughout his career playing on the ball.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29024141/greek-guard-georgios-kalaitzakis-declares-nba-draft

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Since we're probably looking at the #10 pick I thought we could post our Top Ten favorite picks for the Suns. It will probably change by the 20th of May but I need something to kill the boredom.

1. Lamelo Ball (High end skill set with handles. Length an added bonus. Best of weak class.)
2. Obi Toppin (Seems to be a excellent fit next to DA.)
3. Deni Avdija (Love this guys motor and smarts.)
4. Tyrese Haliburton (Great fit with us. Love his tenacity.)
5. Anthony Edwards (Would give us a scorer off the bench and help reduce Book's minutes closer to 32.)
6. James Wiseman (Great backup C.)
7. Onyeka Okongwu (Great backup C.)
8. Jalen Smith (seems we could trade back and still get him. Best bargain prospect.)
9. Theo Maledon (Ready to play. Hard worker.)
10. Kira Lewis (Meh. Has a little Devonte Graham feel to him, so we could take a shot.)

Lewis vs Killian Hayes would be a tough call, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freshman power forward candidate Trendon Watford of LSU is entering the NBA Draft per ESPN:

Teams are intrigued by Watford's combination of size and shot-creation ability. He has ideal measurements for an NBA power forward at 6-foot-9, 235 pounds with a 7-2 wingspan, and his ability to grab defensive rebounds and ignite LSU's fast break played a major role in its high-powered offense, which ranked third in the country according to ESPN's Basketball Power Index. He has excellent touch around the basket, shooting 55% from 2-point range this season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29026256/lsu-freshman-trendon-watford-enter-nba-draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I look at the draft (if the Suns keep the pick) they are looking for players that can hopefully be competent bench players and have the potential to develop into starters. Although I prefer an athletic power forward that can defend, a point guard or combo guard might provide the most immediate impact.

Of course the Suns must address power forward in free agency if they go for a ball handler in the draft.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
The way I look at the draft (if the Suns keep the pick) they are looking for players that can hopefully be competent bench players and have the potential to develop into starters. Although I prefer an athletic power forward that can defend, a point guard or combo guard might provide the most immediate impact.

Of course the Suns must address power forward in free agency if they go for a ball handler in the draft.
That begs a good follow up question as to which player would make the most immediate impact as opposed to BPA/Need.

I think that list starts with Obi and Jalen since we have such a dearth of talent at PF. In fact, only the PF prospects would have a chance of starting and logging significant minutes barring injuries.

After that, guys like Haliburton or Ball would bring the greatest gain since back up PG is our next biggest need. So I agree, that would yield a high end of immediate impact as well (combined with Rubio's nagging injuries and needing him to get closer to 32 minutes, this would also drive up the need).

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jalen Green is picking the GLeague over going to school.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That begs a good follow up question as to which player would make the most immediate impact as opposed to BPA/Need.

I think that list starts with Obi and Jalen since we have such a dearth of talent at PF. In fact, only the PF prospects would have a chance of starting and logging significant minutes barring injuries.

After that, guys like Haliburton or Ball would bring the greatest gain since back up PG is our next biggest need. So I agree, that would yield a high end of immediate impact as well (combined with Rubio's nagging injuries and needing him to get closer to 32 minutes, this would also drive up the need).

I'm going to wait until after the lottery to focus on who I want the Suns to draft. However, the Suns should never stray away from drafting BPA. I should have left that open.

What I want is a point guard, combo guard or an athletic power forward but BPA should always rule unless it's close. The Suns need to draft someone who can be an NBA player regardless of position.

I do think a point guard/combo guard would provide the most immediate help for the Suns because they should be an instant backup to Rubio and be a rotation player. A big man is likely to to take time to develop and only provide depth for the time being.

Haliburton and Ball would provide the most immediate help.

Do I like some of the big men in the draft? Yes, that's where my heart is right now. Some of my favorites are Toppin, Achiuwa, Stewart, Jalen Smith, and Okongwu.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen Green is picking the GLeague over going to school.

Weird, that's what lots of schools assumed for ages and the family kept saying no we're going to school. Now I guess Covid 19 played a role but this seemed like a pretty clear choice for him, he's good enough to play in the G league this year. Really bad week for USC recruiting who had been killing it, Ziaire Williams picks Stanford, Josh Christopher picks ASU and now Green picks the G League. USC was trying to convince 2 of the 3 to go to USC for one year.

All 3 of those kids project as lottery picks next year

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones talks about the draft. Sounds a lot like pre-draft 2019 talk.

This is from a Kellan Olson article at Arizona Sports:

“We need more playmaking, we love defenders and shooting is a priority,” he said.

“There are different ways you can look at playmaking. Playmaking can be a guard, it can also be a big that makes plays and creates extra possessions for your team. We want to be a very good shooting team. We will be a very good shooting team.”

“We’ll be a very good execution team and that requires us to add guys with a level of maturity and grit to be able to perform in this competitive environment, he said. “That’s the one thing that we’ve been consistent with since day one is that in order for a guy to be on this roster he has to have an elite NBA skill and he has to be able to compete consistently and demonstrate that skill.

https://arizonasports.com/story/229...rough-unique-prep-process-for-2020-nba-draft/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Another thing to note from that article is how it mentioned the Woj report that teams have all agreed the draft should be pushed back to August but that Adam Silver hasn't made a decision on that, and won't, until May 1st, at the earliest.

As information gathering on draft-eligible prospects remains limited during the coronavirus pandemic, many NBA teams are united in hopes of encouraging the league office to push the date of the draft from June 25 to no sooner than Aug. 1, sources told ESPN.

Multiple top team executives expressed to ESPN their belief that shifting the draft date would give organizations more time to salvage the essential elements of the pre-draft process, possibly allowing for in-person workouts, interviews and medical evaluations of prospects that current social distancing and shelter-in-place guidelines make impossible.

For now, the NBA remains on commissioner Adam Silver's timeline of May 1 as the earliest that decisions on the remaining league calendar will start to be made, sources said.

Here is the article that discusses that. It's good know the league is united in that.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29021183/teams-join-push-nba-move-draft-date-back

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing to note from that article is how it mentioned the Woj report that teams have all agreed the draft should be pushed back to August but that Adam Silver hasn't made a decision on that, and won't, until May 1st, at the earliest.

Here is the article that discusses that. It's good know the league is united in that.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29021183/teams-join-push-nba-move-draft-date-back

So excited to get some basketball talk again.

I may have to start threads on every player entering the draft at this rate. :mrgreen:

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

This is from a Kellan Olson article at Arizona Sports:

https://arizonasports.com/story/229...rough-unique-prep-process-for-2020-nba-draft/
Olson and Zimmerman aren't the most exciting bunch, but they have solid rational takes on prospects, which is exactly what I look for. Good to hear them talking draft.

Kevin O'Connor is B-O-R-E-D, BOARD, boored at home. I think this draft is one of the weakest I've seen and agree that there isn't a ton of separation at the top 10, but even I think you've got a healthy case of cabin fever if you say that Killian Hayes should go number one.

Speaking of Killian, do they call palming overseas... like ever? I know it's bad in the NBA, but to have your palm UNDER the ball for a half of a second on cross over is crazy bad. He might lead the league in palming calls his first year if the NBA cares to notice.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Did Rober Sarver have a traumatic childhood experience with a power forward, or something? First he refuses to get one for the Suns, and now he refuses to get one for the Mercury.

I am now fully expecting our pick to be a guard or yet another wing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Olson and Zimmerman aren't the most exciting bunch, but they have solid rational takes on prospects, which is exactly what I look for. Good to hear them talking draft.

Kevin O'Connor is B-O-R-E-D, BOARD, boored at home. I think this draft is one of the weakest I've seen and agree that there isn't a ton of separation at the top 10, but even I think you've got a healthy case of cabin fever if you say that Killian Hayes should go number one.

Speaking of Killian, do they call palming overseas... like ever? I know it's bad in the NBA, but to have your palm UNDER the ball for a half of a second on cross over is crazy bad. He might lead the league in palming calls his first year if the NBA cares to notice.

I give you maximum credit for listening to the podcast.

Killian Hayes going #1? That is a serious case of cabin fever.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

I actually didn’t add The Ringer onto the consensus draft spreadsheet (although I might at some point) because there were a few oddities. Killian #1, Vassell #6, Terry #8... seems like he was just trying to be different just to be different.