2020 Arizona Cardinals training camp

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hundley went 5/11 in passing last season and most of his plays were designed runs. His career numbers are pretty bad, too. When he's in, it cuts the playbook in half because he can't throw a football. He's in no way solid. He's below average at best.

While I expect Hundley to win the QB2 job, I'm glad his job isnt 100% safe.

Hundley = see Seahags game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But if that 2nd string dude costs 300k less and keeps the playbook closer to what it is with Murray...? Hundley can't run our entire offense. He is not athletically built to do it. Streveler might be able to.

Are we sure about that? Hundley is a good athlete and I think ran an Air Raid variation at UCLA and is an athlete. Everything I understood before today was that Hundley was a good dude who was a great resource for Kyler.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are we sure about that? Hundley is a good athlete and I think ran an Air Raid variation at UCLA and is an athlete. Everything I understood before today was that Hundley was a good dude who was a great resource for Kyler.
More depth is better than 2-deep at QB.

Keep 'em both.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
https://www.azcardinals.com/news/kyler-murray-seeing-things-more-clearly-now-kliff-kingsbury

Kliff Kingsbury said Kyler Murray was in "survival mode" at times last season as a young quarterback navigating dangerous NFL waters.

Which begs the question: If Murray pulled an Offensive Rookie of the Year campaign out of simply surviving, what will it look like when he's thriving?

The answer could come soon, as Murray has gained high marks for his mental development during a training camp that winds down this week. Even without offseason work, Kingsbury said his young pupil has become more decisive and shown a better feel for the offensive scheme with a year under his belt.

"There was a lot on his plate (in 2019) and it was moving really fast," Kingsbury said. "There was nowhere to go but to go out on the field and do his best. Just seeing his level of – I wouldn't say mastery of the offense – but understanding this year compared to last, it's night and day.

"We've still got to go out there and execute at a high level versus teams on Sunday, but I'm very proud of the progress he's made and the work he's put in to get to this point. I know he's excited to go out there and see the steps he's made."

Murray has spoken of "kind of winging it" as a rookie, admitting that there were disguised coverages that kept him off-balance. After 16 games of on-the-job training, he believes the mind is catching up to the elite physical ability.

"There's not much that I did not see last season," Murray said. "I would hope this year I'm able to recognize defenses beforehand, rather than post-snap. They're going to disguise stuff, but I think I am doing a better job recognizing that stuff pre- and post-snap."

It's an exciting possibility for a Cardinals offense that already underwent significant improvement in 2019, leading to Murray's aforementioned honors.

Guard J.R. Sweezy faces away from his quarterback during passing plays but has seen plenty to speak confidently about his trajectory.

"He was great last year," Sweezy said. "This year he's going to be elite."

The Cardinals integrated a bunch of new pieces on offense in 2019, most notably Kingsbury and Murray, who were both in their first years with the Cardinals. The vast majority of key pieces are back, and additions like wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins and right tackle Kelvin Beachum are veterans with plenty of NFL experience.

Unsurprisingly, the offensive operation has had fewer hiccups this time around.

"So far it's been a much better camp than it was last year, as far as communication, execution, preparation, all of it," Murray said. "All of it's been better, and I think it's showing on the field."

Kingsbury has traditionally done a lot of quick-hit passes within his offense, and Murray doesn't have to think much on those. But there are always going to be longer dropbacks, exotic blitzes and late-shifting coverages he must handle.

Kingsbury is confident Murray is better-equipped to deal with the mental rigors in his second season.

"It's just the natural progression that you would hope for," Kingsbury said. "When you put in hard work, and when you go through a season and you take every snap as the guy, you would hope you'd take that step. … We're by no stretch a finished product, but you definitely see him having a better understanding of where to go with the ball, and getting it out of his hand quicker."

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
https://www.azcardinals.com/news/you-ve-got-mail-the-end-of-training-camp

"How is Kyler Murray looking heading into his second year? Haven't heard as much about him as compared to some of the new players. The few videos that have been put out of him by the Cardinals twitter page show him throwing interceptions."

Murray has looked just fine in camp. Again, we were limited in what we could say and what video we could post, but rest assured the quarterback will be good.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But if that 2nd string dude costs 300k less and keeps the playbook closer to what it is with Murray...? Hundley can't run our entire offense. He is not athletically built to do it. Streveler might be able to.

Streveler is one of those guys with tonnes of athleticism who's not actually good at football. Which is why he went undrafted, why he couldn't latch on with an NFL team and why he can't even start in the CFL and basically gets wheeled out as a wildcat QB who can sometimes catch the D off guard with a throw.

And this Streveler the leveler nonsense makes him sound like he's Cam Newton. The guy is 6'1" and weighed 209 at his pro day. Which is why he ran 4.45. He's now 216lb according to CFL.

Hundley is 6'3" and 226lb and ran 4.63. He had 1800 rushing yards in 3 seasons at UCLA.

Besides all this I don't care if he looks like Aaron Rodgers in camp. The guy is going to wet his diaper the second he steps into an NFL game. Give me Hundley all day.

Nothing against the guy but I don't fancy the idea of instantly having the worst backup QB in the league.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just want to recommend the latest Cards Training Camp Central. It's on the official site and go to the You Tube section at the bottom of the site. Filmed yesterday. The final episode is on Thursday, after 3PM. Not sure if that is Eastern or Arizona time.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After converting his base salary into a signing bonus, how much is the cap?
Generally they keep 5/7 mil left

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I sincerely hope it's for some pass rush depth.

Reddick can sub Kennard at SAM but we have nobody to cover Chandler. How do you have a pass rush through Q1 and Q2 and keep CJ fresh enough for crunch time?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I sincerely hope it's for some pass rush depth.

Reddick can sub Kennard at SAM but we have nobody to cover Chandler. How do you have a pass rush through Q1 and Q2 and keep CJ fresh enough for crunch time?
in a crisis, couldn't VJ surprise us all and slot Simmons behind Chandler as designated pass rusher?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think the cuts this year may be insane.

The salary cap drop next season is going to make a ton of teams swallow hard this season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
DHop. Peterson. Jones. All still on the table to be done. The also may be able to get bargain deals(extensions) on Corey Peters and JR Sweezy if they wanted.

The Peterson deal is the one that is most interesting IMO. Peterson is smart enough to know how valuable guaranteed money will be over the next two years. Locking that in, even at a lower amount. For the Cardinals, contrary to opinions on this board, I don't believe they want to go into Kyler's 3rd year with Alford and Murphy as the top two CBs under contract. Especially when they can free up 7.5 mil by cutting Alford.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
A source of mine who has seen every practice, today told me the Cards offense hasn’t looked very good during TC. Hmmm

I know it’s just practice, without any actual game time so to me it’s hard to gauge the growth or struggles the Redbirds have had. But I figured peeps here my want to hear what I’ve been told. Let’s hope he’s dead wrong.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A source of mine who has seen every practice, today told me the Cards offense hasn’t looked very good during TC. Hmmm

I know it’s just practice, without any actual game time so to me it’s hard to gauge the growth or struggles the Redbirds have had. But I figured peeps here my want to hear what I’ve been told. Let’s hope he’s dead wrong.
I expect them to look rusty for the first 3 games.

I don't like that they skipped all the preseason games.

I realize why, but there's nothing like seeing a player in game speed situations.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I realize why, buy there's nothing like seeing a player in game speed situations.

Its not a brand new system, other teams have the same concern or bigger
So let's see if they can the make the jump we expect from them, otherwise is a long season

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I realize why, buy there's nothing like seeing a player in game speed situations.
I guess what your friend is saying is that our new revamped defense is playing lights out. And that is great news as that was my area of concern. Did your friend mention a defender or two that has really stood out?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Me too. Teams that tackle and execute better will win early games. That sounds a lot like San Fran and nothing like Detroit and Washington.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I would take word from anyone who was around training camp with a grain of salt.

No team wants to giveaway strengths and weaknesses too early.

And reporters were given a strict "what they can report" line item as well

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Me too. Teams that tackle and execute better will win early games. That sounds a lot like San Fran and nothing like Detroit and Washington.
To be fair the Washington Football Team have defensive talent and now a coach who preaches physicality in Rivera.

Kliff needs to have them ready.

*edit: sorry

Last edited: