2020 Arizona Cardinals training camp

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Kliff Kingsbury trying to balance lack of contact in preseason

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury has said he doesn’t mind the lack of preseason games, as it gives him more time to install without interruptions.

At some point though, his team will have to tackle and be tackled, but Kingsbury doesn’t seem to be in a rush.

It’s uncharted territory for all these guys,” Kingsbury said, via Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic. I think we’re all trying to figure out where is that fine line where you want to get some physicality, you want to tackle to the ground and get some live work, but you want to be smart, be careful and make sure you get them all to the game as well.

“We’re all looking for that and we’ll pick our spots to do that, but we won’t have our quarterbacks hit prior to Week One. And I know Kyler [Murray] is happy about that.”

Without any live contact, or at least full contact, there’s some concern about the tackling come the regular season, but defensive line coach Brentson Buckner said he’s not concerned about that leading to bad form.

“Tackling is a want-to,” Buckner said. “I tell my guys, ‘Coaches don’t want you to tackle, but you can be physically punching your guy in the chest, separating, get in my gap, hold in double teams and when you find the ball you tear off and you run.’ We just don’t want to put the guy on the ground, but we can get all our work done.

“We can do things, physically. Hands in the chest. Getting on the edge. Making sure we’re staying square. Attacking the line of scrimmage. And then when it comes to real football, we’re going to have a walk through to get you on the ground. And when we first hunt, we’ve got to learn to hunt in packs. We’ve got to run to the ball like everybody is going to miss the tackle and somebody’s got to get it. We can’t just count on one guy doing it.”

It’s reasonable to think there will be some sloppy play when the actual games start, considering the lack of preparation this offseason. But that’s balanced by having players healthy and available, and that seems to be a chance Kingsbury’s comfortable taking.

Fiddlesticks, they will not be prepared to get hit or play football. Remember our defense trying to tackle running backs last year, oomph oomph but it’s too hard, he’s fast and strong- can’t the offense keep the ball? I think they need to go broke, until they are hungry again!

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/training-camp-buzz-buccaneers-rookie-antoine-winfield-impressing-every-day

Kyler Murray is coming off a dynamic debut with the Cardinals in which he hauled in AP Offensive Rookie of the Year. There's excitement simmering in the desert for his follow-up act. So far this summer he's showcasing marked improvement with his "mental game," NFL Network's Jim Trotter reported Sunday on Inside Training Camp Live. Trotter was told Murray is "light years ahead of where he was" at this point last year as he's been learning, reading defenses better and getting the ball out quicker. Big things are expected for Murray in Year 2.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hakeem Butler looks the same as last year
Andy Isabella looks more like a pro (although not really separating from guys like Jojo Ward)
Dogbe and Allen look improved
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hakeem Butler looks the same as last year
Andy Isabella looks more like a pro (although not really separating from guys like Jojo Ward)
Dogbe and Allen look improved
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm only 6 mins into this and it's not a great start. Between 3 of the most senior Cards reporters they have said,

1. Alford likely won't go on IR until after cuts so they could bring him back - wrong
2. That they will find a way to keep Streveler on the 53 - I find that hard to believe now they have extended PS and you can keep 4 guy protected and they don't have to clear waivers. It's essentially a 57 man roster this year.
3. That Murphy will probably play outside corner and play down the idea of signing a vet - They signed 3.

Worth a listen for the camp insights though. Although they did talk about how hard it would be to get the receivers down to 6 when they had 7 last year. Almost certainly they go with 7 again I would think with Sherfield as a gunner and one of them being KR/PR.

It's always great to see someone unexpected make an impact. I hope we see something like that from Dogbe or JoJo Ward.

At this point I would put strong money on Hakeem Butler not making the 53 and going on the PS.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I read about him is this. It looked like he took plays off & was inconsistent because of the defensive scheme he played in at Utah. He was asked to mainly be a space eater & take on blockers, rather than just go make tackles. I have no idea really but that's one of the things I read about him.

I'm very excited about Leki Fotu.

I must say though, in the PAC 12 Championship game I still get flashbacks of this Oregon running back running right by him and he is not even looking.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Budda Baker is the only one I can think of.

DJ I guess considered the 18 months we got for a 3rd.

Aaaand I'm done.

This is the list of draft picks still on the team. I did not include UFA.

Andy Isabella17 WR
Budda Baker32 S
Byron Murphy Jr.33 CB
Chase Edmonds29 RB
Christian Kirk13 WR
D.J. Humphries74 OT
Deionte Thompson35 S
Eno Benjamin26 RB
Haason Reddick43 LB
Hakeem Butler18 WR
Isaiah Simmons48 LB
Jalen Thompson34 S
Josh Jones79 OT
Joshua Miles66 OT
KeeSean Johnson19 WR
Kyler Murray1 QB
Lamont Gaillard65 C
Mason Cole52 C
Michael Dogbe91 DE
Patrick Peterson21 CB as top scout
Zach Allen94 DE

Then there are players that are productive on other teams and the late round RBs that we got a season or two out of, plus a handful of WRs who did the sames.

Heck, Ellington, and the Browns are still getting jobs. And DJ got us Hopkins.

He just really sucks at 1st rounders. Hopefully with KM1 he finally got over the hump.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Andy Isabella17 WR
Budda Baker32 S
Byron Murphy Jr.33 CB
Chase Edmonds29 RB
Christian Kirk13 WR
D.J. Humphries74 OT
Deionte Thompson35 S
Eno Benjamin26 RB
Haason Reddick43 LB
Hakeem Butler18 WR
Isaiah Simmons48 LB
Jalen Thompson34 S
Josh Jones79 OT
Joshua Miles66 OT
KeeSean Johnson19 WR
Kyler Murray1 QB
Lamont Gaillard65 C
Mason Cole52 C
Michael Dogbe91 DE
Zach Allen94 DE

Then there are players that are productive on other teams and the late round RBs that we got a season or two out of, plus a handful of WRs who did the sames.

He just really sucks at 1st rounders. Hopefully with KM1 he finally got over the hump.
15 of those 20 dudes were drafted in the past two drafts. He doesn't get credit as top scout for Patrick Peterson. Keim has hit some picks but has also been really bad with several others. Outside of his amazing trade history, Keim should probably be fired. BUt, he has hit on some amazing trades, and if he got the QB and HC right, he may have dodged a huge bullet.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Andy Isabella17 WR
Budda Baker32 S
Byron Murphy Jr.33 CB
Chase Edmonds29 RB
Christian Kirk13 WR
D.J. Humphries74 OT
Deionte Thompson35 S
Eno Benjamin26 RB
Haason Reddick43 LB
Hakeem Butler18 WR
Isaiah Simmons48 LB
Jalen Thompson34 S
Josh Jones79 OT
Joshua Miles66 OT
KeeSean Johnson19 WR
Kyler Murray1 QB
Lamont Gaillard65 C
Mason Cole52 C
Michael Dogbe91 DE
Zach Allen94 DE

Ask yourself how many picks he had to get to that number, and it's pretty depressing we only have 20 guys (Peterson doesn't count).

Also, players producing for other teams doesn't help us. They don't count.

Now, also look at that list and ask yourself who you have 100% faith is a good starter. There's only really 2. Baker and Murray. The rest either only have potential to grow, or haven't taken an NFL snap yet.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Heard on NFL Network that Drake was in a boot. Said they are being cautious, but it does worry a bit with DHOP and Drake having some health issues .

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm only 6 mins into this and it's not a great start. Between 3 of the most senior Cards reporters they have said,

1. Alford likely won't go on IR until after cuts so they could bring him back - wrong
2. That they will find a way to keep Streveler on the 53 - I find that hard to believe now they have extended PS and you can keep 4 guy protected and they don't have to clear waivers. It's essentially a 57 man roster this year.
3. That Murphy will probably play outside corner and play down the idea of signing a vet - They signed 3.

Worth a listen for the camp insights though. Although they did talk about how hard it would be to get the receivers down to 6 when they had 7 last year. Almost certainly they go with 7 again I would think with Sherfield as a gunner and one of them being KR/PR.

It's always great to see someone unexpected make an impact. I hope we see something like that from Dogbe or JoJo Ward.

At this point I would put strong money on Hakeem Butler not making the 53 and going on the PS.
Urban said he's not 100% sure we have one 1,000 yard wr because of the offense and how they spread it out, lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Andy Isabella17 WR
Budda Baker32 S
Byron Murphy Jr.33 CB
Chase Edmonds29 RB
Christian Kirk13 WR
D.J. Humphries74 OT
Deionte Thompson35 S
Eno Benjamin26 RB
Haason Reddick43 LB
Hakeem Butler18 WR
Isaiah Simmons48 LB
Jalen Thompson34 S
Josh Jones79 OT
Joshua Miles66 OT
KeeSean Johnson19 WR
Kyler Murray1 QB
Lamont Gaillard65 C
Mason Cole52 C
Michael Dogbe91 DE
Zach Allen94 DE

The question was how many of those picked were value at the position they were picked at?

From that list. Budda, possibly Chase Edmonds as a 4th round pick. I guess Christian Kirk qualifies if you squint. P2 was Rod Graves.

Kyler was already given by the OP.

And obviously, you missed ALL the ones not on the team which by definition weren't worth the pick.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The question was how many of those picked were value at the position they were picked at?

From that list. Budda, possibly Chase Edmonds as a 4th round pick. I guess Christian Kirk qualifies if you squint. P2 was Rod Graves.

Kyler was already given by the OP.

And obviously, you missed ALL the ones not on the team which by definition weren't worth the pick.

Your definition is flawed. Some move to greener pastures and if they are still in the League they were worth a pick.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'd rather be overloaded with less than accurate info than to receive no info at all. We just have to remain appreciative but skeptical.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Your definition is flawed. Some move to greener pastures and if they are still in the League they were worth a pick.
I firmly disagree with that concept. If we didn't feel they were a fit and didn't retain them, they weren't worth the pick.

Guys like John Brown, David Johnson, and Tyrann Mathieu are questionable because they really did contribute something for a short period, but I don't think the other guys are worth anything because they have minor roles for other teams.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I firmly disagree with that concept. If we didn't feel they were a fit and didn't retain them, they weren't worth the pick.

Guys like John Brown, David Johnson, and Tyrann Mathieu are questionable because they really did contribute something for a short period, but I don't think the other guys are worth anything because they have minor roles for other teams.

The point was that the OP said that Keim only had two good picks aside from KM1. If players are still contributing in the NFL, those are good picks. We can argue that we should have resigned them, but that was the argument. I was listing all players still in the NFL that Keim picked.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think there are 2 valid ways to evaluate drafts or other roster moves:

1. How hits or misses inluenced subsequent team performance.

2. How each of us viewed those moves at the time they were made.

I have to admit that I was not unhappy with our drafts at the time we made them. Nor was I upset - at the time - about other trades or pickups.

Go figure.

It is ironic that many of us rely too much on hindsight during Year 2020.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15 of those 20 dudes were drafted in the past two drafts. He doesn't get credit as top scout for Patrick Peterson. Keim has hit some picks but has also been really bad with several others. Outside of his amazing trade history, Keim should probably be fired. BUt, he has hit on some amazing trades, and if he got the QB and HC right, he may have dodged a huge bullet.

We all know he has made some bad picks, but I was responding to the OP that said he has only had two good picks aside from KM1. That is not true. He has hit on plenty of picks and I didn't even mention Honey Badger. Now, should he have missed on so many 1st rounders? Nope and had he been fired for that, I would not have had any issues. About half of the defense will be his picks and yes I am counting PP. He was Vice President of Player Personnel and became GM the following season. I remember Gambo at the time talking about how much Graves wanted Blaine Gabbert. Someone talked him out of it.