2019 WNBA Draft

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone else excited for the draft? It's at 4pm today, and it's the best opportunity for the Mercury to add legit young talent in some time.

The Mercury have the 8th, 13th, and 32nd pick. Luckily, this draft is unusually deep in potential star talent. I count 8 potential stars and a role player who would be a really great fit.

Teaira McCowan and Kalani Brown are 6'7 posts with lots of talent. McCowan will go top 3 and Brown (star of the champion Baylor squad) is likely to go before pick 8 as well.

Notre Dame's backcourt of Jackie Young and Arike Ogunbowale are both in this draft. Young could go as high as 1, while you may remember Ogunbowale as the point guard who hit two game-winners in the Final 4 last year and almost pulled it out again this year.

UConn has two star seniors in this draft. Napheesha Collier scores effortlessly, and Katie Lou Samuelson is a 6'3 sniper.

Asia Durr is a scoring machine.

Kristine Anigwe is a super athletic 6'4 post who averaged 16 rebounds per game (and put up a lot of points, blocks, and steals too!)

That's 8 players with star potential in a draft where the Mercury have the 8th pick.

I'd love to add Ogunbowale, Collier, or Samuelson.

But the Mercury might even pass on them because Alanna Smith of Stanford is a 6'4 power forward who shot 40% from 3 last year and who also blocks shots. In other words...she's an ideal complement to Griner. AND she's Australian, which means every mock draft has the Mercury picking her.

A couple other players of note (for the 13th pick):

Eziyoda Magbegor is another Australian post with a ton of promise.

Megan Gustafson scored almost 30 ppg and was the national player of the year, but there are concerns (at 6'3) how her low post dominance will translate to the league.

That's eleven players of note. Hopefully, the Mercury can come away with two of them. A few other names to watch: Bridget Carleton, Sophie Cunningham, Han Xu (6'9 center from China), Brianna Turner, Jessica Shepard.

TL;DR The Mercury may have a chance to add a potential young star like Napheesha Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson, or Arike Agunbowale today. Look for them to keep doubling down on Australian players.

OP
OP
ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Allana Smith is the pick. Hope they don't regret passing on Anigwe. Sure could have used the rebounding last year.

OP
OP
ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Alanna Smith is the only NCAAW player in the past 20 years to post 70 3s, 70 blocks, and 600 points in a season. Definitely addresses a need.

OP
OP
ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First pick in the 2nd round, the Mercury get Missouri guard Sophie Cunningham. Love the pick! She's Missouri's all-time leading scorer, second in Missouri history in three pointers made, and is known for her energy and toughness. The Mercury got better today!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Check out her answer to all-time favorite shooters at 2:00.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And we have a trade! The Mercury traded last year's first round pick for this year's 11th overall pick, Brianna Turner. Good defensive big that makes me feel better about passing on Anigwe. She's Notre Dame's all-time leader in rebounds and blocks and a 3-time ACC Defensive Player of the Year. (Might have been 4 times had she not missed a year with a knee injury; she came back strong this year.)

This is the first Mercury draft to be excited about in some time!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pick at 32 is Arica Carter, heady point guard from Louisville. Probably not someone who makes the roster, but I like that they went floor general.

OP
OP
ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hard to follow all the offseason changes, but it looks like the Mercury added Essence Carson and resigned Bonner, Little, Turner, and January. Talbot and Camille Little were the most important players I couldn't find evidence of a clear contract for next year.

The roster looks to be potentially way deeper than the past:

Guards:
Diana Taurasi
Briann January
Leilani Mitchell
Yvonne Turner

Wings:
DeWanna Bonner
Essence Carson
Sophie Cunningham
Stephanie Talbot (?)

Alanna Smith
Sancho Lyttle
Brianna Turner
Camille Little (?)

Lots to like about that team.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...re-dames-jackie-young-with-no-1-overall-pick/
Winners
Phoenix Mercury

The Mercury made it to the semi-finals last season and nearly pulled off the comeback from a 2-0 deficit against the Storm. But though they fell short of the Finals last season, they'll be well prepared to make another deep playoff run this season. Not only are all their key players coming back, but they added Essence Carson through free agency, and had a dynamite draft night. With their first-round pick, they took Alanna Smith, a versatile stretch four who's already played for head coach Sandy Brondello on the Australian national team, and followed that up by getting a lights-out shooter in Sophie Cunningham with the No. 13 overall pick. Then, a short time later, they swung a trade to acquire the No. 11 overall pick, Brianna Turner from the Atlanta Dream in exchange for Marie Gulich. This Mercury team was already one of the most talented in the league, and now they're one of the deepest as well.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I LOVE the bigs we got tonight! That was our weakness. When Sancho went down last season, that really wrecked our chances in the playoffs. I am so glad we have depth now!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm glad we drafter some 'bigs'!

I see Brittney's history as similar to Ayton's first year with the Suns.
Puts up the stats. Looks good on paper. Inconsistent. But is not a
difference maker in most games.

Developing good backups will help the Mercury.

Of course, Ayton's rookie season was with a rookie (and stubborn) Head Coach and
no decent big man coach. And having to spend too much of the shot clock at the
3-point line setting picks and with a ridiculous weave that produced no results.

Luckily Annie is a major decision maker with Mercury (which is why they have three
League championships) and Sarver evidently keep hands off (which is why I compared.)

Last edited: