2019 Offseason

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do we have the prospect capital for Arenado?
They wouldn't deal him in the division, imo.

Maybe, maybe not depending on the offers they get and how motivated they are to cut salary but I am sure ARZ has a package that could be deemed as fair as ARZ was linked to Kris Bryant speculation. However, COL's hesitation to deal within division aside, I don't think Arenado's contract is something ARZ wants to take on at this point.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Joshua Inman (@RoofNPanelsOpen)
12/30/19, 11:23 AM
The D-backs don’t have to add another position player. They could run Lamb at 3B and Escobar at 2B with Rojas as the backup and call it a day. It would be a large risk at this point, and perhaps an unnecessary one, but if they use that money on the bullpen, it could make sense

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Joshua Inman (@RoofNPanelsOpen)
12/30/19, 11:23 AM
The D-backs don’t have to add another position player. They could run Lamb at 3B and Escobar at 2B with Rojas as the backup and call it a day. It would be a large risk at this point, and perhaps an unnecessary one, but if they use that money on the bullpen, it could make sense

But that would mean continued shuffling of Escobar to 3B and Marte to 2B during game after game. And Lamb to 1B.

Which, as has been posted, wears down players and leads to injury.

And, if we're going to make a run for the playoffs, Lamb's history is that he has been injured or ineffective during the
second half of seasons on a regular basis.

I would rather see Lamb gone, Escobar at 3B and Marte at 2B than the risk referred to. And a full time CF.

And, as far as money to shore up the bullpen, that is the responsibility of the investors while they profit from their
billion dollar windfall. Not cutting corners to put more money in their pockets while moving players out of position.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that would mean continued shuffling of Escobar to 3B and Marte to 2B during game after game. And Lamb to 1B.

Which, as has been posted, wears down players and leads to injury.

And, if we're going to make a run for the playoffs, Lamb's history is that he has been injured or ineffective during the
second half of seasons on a regular basis.

I would rather see Lamb gone, Escobar at 3B and Marte at 2B than the risk referred to. And a full time CF.

And, as far as money to shore up the bullpen, that is the responsibility of the investors while they profit from their
billion dollar windfall. Not cutting corners to put more money in their pockets while moving players out of position.

I've never heard of that theory.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I've never heard of that theory.
I read it from a sportswriter, but I didn't keep track of from whom or when.

But think about it. Players who shift from CF to 2B during games or 2B to 3B or 3B to 1B have
to go through double the preparation for each game. Or, if they don't, risk not being sharp
enough at all the positions they have to cover on short notice.

Or the rookie who went from RF to LF to 2B and collided with Ahmed on a ball up the middle.
There is some team chemistry required in baseball.

I believe that a Manager who relies on double and even triple switches as a matter of routine,
as Torey did all last season, is asking for trouble.

As is the General Manager who doesn't provide a backup SS, which caused Marte to switch
from CF to 2B to SS in a game last season. It is a weak crutch to count on.

Just as the Suns switch Devin Booker back and forth from Shooting Guard to Point Guard,
thus weakening the team at two positions. It must something in the Phoenix air. :)

Some flexibility is one thing. Making it the primary plan is a different story.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

·
1m

#Panthers OC Scott Turner is interviewing with new #Redskins coach Ron Rivera today for the vacant OC job, source said. Incumbent Kevin O’Connell is considered the favorite, but Turner, whose work impressed this year, could potentially end up as his QB coach if he’s not the OC.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

·
1m

#Panthers OC Scott Turner is interviewing with new #Redskins coach Ron Rivera today for the vacant OC job, source said. Incumbent Kevin O’Connell is considered the favorite, but Turner, whose work impressed this year, could potentially end up as his QB coach if he’s not the OC.

Wrong forum :)