2018 Playoffs Thread

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm calling it now, Timberwolves over Rockets in 6. Butler is healthy and Thibs will have them playing defense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I REALLY wanted to see Russ v. KD (sans Curry) in round one. That would have been awesome TV.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm calling it now, Timberwolves over Rockets in 6. Butler is healthy and Thibs will have them playing defense.
He hasn’t had them playing all season long so I doubt he’s about to start now.

And Towns makes Amare look like one of the greatest defenders ever.

I bet every game will be insanely high scoring games...wouldn’t surprise me if they set crazy records.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Leonard sacked up and came back for the playoffs I would put the Spurs as a serious favorite over Golden State in round 1... assuming Zaza and Green don't combine to take out a few players... which is likely.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disappointed that the only way we'll see Westbrook vs Durant is if the Thunder and Warriors make the Western Conference Finals. The Warriors should make it there but I don't like the Thunder's odds of getting past the Rockets in the 2nd round. I know the Thunder need to beat Utah first but without a true star on offense they'll have trouble against the Thunder. I can see Russ winning a game or two on his own and if Paul George or Melo go off that will get them another. I know Utah has Gobert and Donovan Mitchell but Gobert isn't that good offensively and Mitchell is just a rookie.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Utah beat OKC, Utah is playing solid consistent ball right now.

I'm not sure why people are conceding GSW to the finals, they haven't been playing well for awhile now. That 40 point loss to Utah in a game where Durant, Draymond and Klay all started, was pathetic. they are 4-6 since Curry went out with the knee and there have been several really bad efforts in those 10. It's interesting because Quinn Cook played really well when Curry got hurt and earned himself a contract, but the team was nowhere near as good even though Cook is shooting 44% from 3, teams just don't fear him remotely like they do Curry so it changes the entire dynamic of the team. Teams are daring Cook to beat them and as well as he's playing, he's simply not good enough to do that in the playoffs. With Curry everyone else sees less defensive attention.

I see the Rockets as the favorite, the Warriors and OKC as the intrigue teams of the West.

In the East the obvious intrigue is how far does Philly go. 16 straight wins, but no playoff experience.

And can LeBron do it again and get Cleveland back to the finals, can Toronto get there but to me still the most fascinating team is Philly.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Utah beat OKC, Utah is playing solid consistent ball right now.

I'm not sure why people are conceding GSW to the finals, they haven't been playing well for awhile now. That 40 point loss to Utah in a game where Durant, Draymond and Klay all started, was pathetic. they are 4-6 since Curry went out with the knee and there have been several really bad efforts in those 10. It's interesting because Quinn Cook played really well when Curry got hurt and earned himself a contract, but the team was nowhere near as good even though Cook is shooting 44% from 3, teams just don't fear him remotely like they do Curry so it changes the entire dynamic of the team. Teams are daring Cook to beat them and as well as he's playing, he's simply not good enough to do that in the playoffs. With Curry everyone else sees less defensive attention.

I see the Rockets as the favorite, the Warriors and OKC as the intrigue teams of the West.

In the East the obvious intrigue is how far does Philly go. 16 straight wins, but no playoff experience.

And can LeBron do it again and get Cleveland back to the finals, can Toronto get there but to me still the most fascinating team is Philly.
I think the idea is that the end of the regular season was a result of a lack of motivation. The question now, if that is the case, is whether or not they can simply flip the switch back on?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lebron's teams have always done poorly in the regular but he's turned it on in the playoffs and gotten them to the finals. I know that's easier in the East but I think the Warriors are capable of doing the same thing. They really didn't finish that poorly either. Of course that 40 point drumming by the Jazz was really bad but they're a team that has been to 3 straight NBA finals. They know what it takes to get there and I think they just weren't interested after Houston clinched homecourt. They had no reason to push themselves. They're a team that understands better than most that what you accomplish in the regular season means absolutely nothing come playoff time. Their 73 wins didn't mean squat. They've kept more than their core together through their run also, they've kept almost their entire rotation.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My first round picks
West
Rockets in 4
Warriors in 4
Trailblazers in 7
OKC in 6
East
Toronto in 7
Boston in 7
76ers in 5
Cavaliers in 4

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Per the NBA, team rosters (active and inactive) for the 2018 NBA Playoffs will feature a record 62 international players from a record 33 countries.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There has been at least one sweep in the 1st Round of the NBA Playoffs every year since 2004. This year, BPI gives the Raptors the best chance to pull off a 1st Round sweep. They have a 20% chance to get past the Wizards in 4 games. https://t.co/RZYfVyYFy5
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the idea is that the end of the regular season was a result of a lack of motivation. The question now, if that is the case, is whether or not they can simply flip the switch back on?

To an extent yes, I also think people are underestimating the hard fall by McCaw and it's impact on the Warriors psyche. There are reports that there are players on the team who still haven't fully recovered from that even though McCaw is ok and if they go far enough in the playoffs, he'll be back.

i've heard some of the guys were so scared by what could have happened it was a major concern by the coaching staff. Hell even Kerr was infuriated at first and then later in tears over it.

I think stuff like that which COULD have been a career ending injury, really shake up players sometimes.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) tweeted at 1:39 PM on Sat, Apr 14, 2018:
JaVale McGee is on fire! The Warriors big man has 9 points, 3 rebounds, a block and a steal at the end of the 1st quarter – all are more than he averaged per game this season.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
RaptorsMR (@RaptorsMR) tweeted at 1:50 PM on Sat, Apr 14, 2018:
Status update: Fred Van Vleet (right shoulder) will not play.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Joseph Casciaro (@JosephCasciaro) tweeted at 2:02 PM on Sat, Apr 14, 2018:
Otto Porter and Mike Scott both "good to go," says Scott Brooks.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) tweeted at 2:14 PM on Sat, Apr 14, 2018:
Golden State has a 26-15 edge on the boards, and that’s bad news for San Antonio.

The Warriors were 37-5 this season when outrebounding their opponent, including 2-0 vs the Spurs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson